Found Dog

shekhina

We have found what appears to be a pitbull/pitbull cross/staffy cross/something that will almost certainly be 'identified' as a pitbull or pitbull cross.

It was trying to play with my dogs through the fence late at night so we caught it and kept it safe. We've put up signs around the neighbourhood trying to find the owner but so far haven't had any calls. We've walked him around the neighbourhood as well hoping someone will recognise him, but no luck yet.

We rang the lost dogs' home to find out what would happen if we took him there...they said they would have to put him to sleep if he was a restricted breed. We asked if we could take him there just to see if they would identify him as a restricted breed and they said it would be a very big risk because if they did identify him as such they would seize him then and there and have him PTS. The dogs' home said to try the RSPCA as they have more leeway in this...but I'm not sure???

We want to do the right thing by this dog, and the law as well. Unfortunately we're both quite confused by the law and from what we've been told so far it doesn't seem like there's much we can do except hope that his owners see our signs etc. very soon. I was going to put an ad in the paper saying he'd been found - but now I'm wondering if that could get us in to trouble as well...unless I describe him as a staffy cross, perhaps?

Does anyone know what to do in this situation, please? He is a truly lovely dog and I would hate to see him PTS just because of his looks.

Edited by shekhina

Ah yes, that was the other thing we were worried about - whether vets are now under some obligation to report these things or not...otherwise that would have been done already. All the things I would normally do for a stray animal I'm now unsure whether it's 'safe' to do them or not.

We want to get this dog back to it's owners without it being seized or god forbid PTS.

Edited by shekhina

I don't think the Tas law is as stupid as the Vic law.

I second what Jesterbelle said.

And you might want to ring a few rescues in your area and ask them for advice, they're listed with petrescue.

http://www.petrescue.com.au/rescue_directory/tas

I think the shelters would be worried about homing a potentially dangerous dog, but if it is friendly and shows no sign of aggression with dogs or humans and passes their temperment test - it has a chance of finding a new home.

If you are in Victoria and you take him to a pound and he is deemed to be BSL breed type, then you place his life at risk, if he he a young dog without a microchip then he is obviously not registered with a council in Victoria as legislation has been in since May 2007 all dogs registered in Victoria after this time must have a microchip.

If you take him to a vet, you don't have to tell them you found him, you can simply ask if they would scan him to check if he has one , most Vets I know don't believe in BSL, but there is always a risk that they may report the dog.

Of course LDH, RSPCA and any other Victorian pound that this dog enters, has to abide by the law. So if you can get him/her home, that is your best course of action.

hope this makes sens and helps.

He's being taken to the vet now to check for a microchip. I also rang the dogs' home myself and was told something completely different, that he wouldn't be PTS unless he was aggressive...so one person has told us one thing and another something completely different!

The dog went to the dogs' home today and we think found it's owner. When I rang the dogs' home I asked them had anyone asked them about a white staffy x or pitty x and they said no. Get to the dogs' home and they have a freaking sign up there saying someone is looking for a white staffy X :rolleyes:

Would never, ever, ever trust a phone call.

The dog went to the dogs' home today and we think found it's owner. When I rang the dogs' home I asked them had anyone asked them about a white staffy x or pitty x and they said no. Get to the dogs' home and they have a freaking sign up there saying someone is looking for a white staffy X :rolleyes:

Oh I do hope he is reunited.

Dead right about not trusting a phone call. I knew someone who phoned a pound to check if a male GSD had been brought in. No, they said, only a female. Owner went & looked.....yes it was his male GSD.

Here's hoping that the white staffy X sign leads to the owner.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, bad news here.

Just found out that Zeus was in fact PTS by the Hobart Dogs' Home. Apparently his owners never ended up coming for him (or something to that effect).

Poor dog, he was so, so lovely as well :(

Edited by shekhina