More On Dogs Knowing Right From Wrong

corvus

It looks like the author is saying dogs can learn rules of conduct and show some sort of remorse when they know they have broken the rules.

Specifically, while a dog who chews up the toilet paper or upturns a wastebasket may put its head and tail low, showing something akin to shame. They learn the house rules, so to speak, but I've seen no evidence to show that they have a deeper sense of morality. I don't think this can be extended to say that dogs are morally culpable, eg., when a dog bites someone I think it's the humans who must take responsibility. I don't think most dogs that bite have any sort of remorse.

Dogs showing distress after not getting rewarded for an action previously rewarded...

This to me does not mean they are 'upset at being treated unfairly' , rather they are distressed/conflicted because an action didn't create a re-action (treat) and confuzzlement followed.

bit like humans when they press a key on the keyboard many times and a certain thing appears on screen. One day the computer gods decree that keys do something else..and most of us will show some signs of distress . cos things just didn't do what they always have done!

:) as for the dog wearing a bin lid ... yes, well, that could explain why he looks awfully uncomfortable/and somewhat distressed ;) I don't believe he feels 'guilt'

Your dog will give you calming signals ie: turning head away, hooding their eyes, ears flat against head or drooping, licking their lips a lot, excessive panting. These are calming signals your dog is giving you because of the body language you are displaying which tells them you are angry or annoyed about something.

They do not understand what you are annoyed or angry about but they want you to calm down. It is not guilt or remorse.