You Cant Be Serious!

Nic.B

i have go to ask is there really such thing as a multi generation oodle, or is it just a fancy word for a really muddled up cross????

Of course there's such a thing. Some ANKC recognised purebreds were once crosses. The Boxers gained a bob-tailed gene from clever crossing with Corgis, and after some number of generations crossing back to purebred Boxers, they gained the title of "purebred" again. What most people have an issue with is the advertising associated with the crossbreeds and the fact that crossbreeds seem to majorily come from unethical breeders (backyard or puppy farm) who don't health test. That's the very basic jist of it. It's not all of it, but the two main ones.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i have go to ask is there really such thing as a multi generation oodle, or is it just a fancy word for a really muddled up cross????

Of course there's such a thing. Some ANKC recognised purebreds were once crosses. The Boxers gained a bob-tailed gene from clever crossing with Corgis, and after some number of generations crossing back to purebred Boxers, they gained the title of "purebred" again. What most people have an issue with is the advertising associated with the crossbreeds and the fact that crossbreeds seem to majorily come from unethical breeders (backyard or puppy farm) who don't health test. That's the very basic jist of it. It's not all of it, but the two main ones.

There is a big difference between purposely cross breeding to establish a certain breed than cross breeding (eg "oodles") just for the sake of it, mostly by puppy farmers. They are not interested in recording, establishing a new breed for a specific purpose, and wanting to have that breed recognised by canine authorities. Yes, a large number of our present day pedigree pure breed dogs come from mixtures, but that was done in most cases to establish a breed for a certain job or service, and records were carefully kept on the progress of the generations to enable registration as a pure breed. I hardly think one can compare today's mongrels with yesterday's method of establishing a breed.

I heard the segment in the car while taking the kids to school, and immediately we started to think of all the odd oodles that would suddenly start coming out...

rottwoodle

saintbernadoodle

dobermoodle

Actually someone is already breeding "Roodles" (Rottx poodle) :mad

Apparently the poodle takes the "aggression" of the Rotty away...

Making them the perfect family pet :eek:

There is a big difference between purposely cross breeding to establish a certain breed than cross breeding (eg "oodles") just for the sake of it, mostly by puppy farmers. They are not interested in recording, establishing a new breed for a specific purpose, and wanting to have that breed recognised by canine authorities. Yes, a large number of our present day pedigree pure breed dogs come from mixtures, but that was done in most cases to establish a breed for a certain job or service, and records were carefully kept on the progress of the generations to enable registration as a pure breed. I hardly think one can compare today's mongrels with yesterday's method of establishing a breed.

Um. Nobody's arguing that. She asked if there was such a thing as multi-generational crosses and indeed there are. Purebreds of today were once "multi generational crosses". Remember, it's just a label to describe crossing towards another cross of the same type multiple times in a row, nothing more. It's not comparing it to the "worthiness" of ye olde days of crossbreeding dogs compared to today's. Just a definition, don't need to get fired up :)

Um. Nobody's arguing that. She asked if there was such a thing as multi-generational crosses and indeed there are. Purebreds of today were once "multi generational crosses". Remember, it's just a label to describe crossing towards another cross of the same type multiple times in a row, nothing more. It's not comparing it to the "worthiness" of ye olde days of crossbreeding dogs compared to today's. Just a definition, don't need to get fired up :)

A ''pure breed'' is a breed that breeds true to type everytime.

Not all pure breeds are ANKC registered. Isolation will eventually produce pure breeds. Man doesn't necessarily need to play a part.

The only ''designer'' pure breed I can think of off hand, bred as a cosmetic accessory, is the Bull Terrier. The Dobermann was purpose bred. The remainder, or most of them at least, are ''refinements'' of already existing types.

The boxer/corgi cross was an abomination against the sanctity of the genuine pure breed dog. The progeny were crossbreeds & should never, ever, have found their way onto a pure breed register.

As soon as the cross was make the line should have been terminated.

Smart breeding? No way. Mongrel breeding is all. Borgis or coxers, take your pick.

BTW Jack Russell Terriers aren't recognised as a pure breed by the K.C & therefore aren't listed on that pure breed register. Just thought I'd throw that in as a bit of useless information. :)

Not all pure breeds are ANKC registered. Isolation will eventually produce pure breeds. Man doesn't necessarily need to play a part.

The only ''designer'' pure breed I can think of off hand, bred as a cosmetic accessory, is the Bull Terrier. The Dobermann was purpose bred. The remainder, or most of them at least, are ''refinements'' of already existing types.

The boxer/corgi cross was an abomination against the sanctity of the genuine pure breed dog. The progeny were crossbreeds & should never, ever, have found their way onto a pure breed register.

Smart breeding? No way. Mongrel breeding is all. Borgis or coxers, take your pick.BTW Jack Russell Terriers aren't recognised as a pure breed by the K.C & therefore aren't listed on that pure breed register. Just thought I'd throw that in as a bit of useless information. :)

hmmm well if you think about it mathematically there comes a point when they are back to being 100% Boxer.

I tried to call on Saturday though noone was available to speak with.

Will give them a buzz tomorrow to get the best point of contact and find out exactly which vet it was then post up here :)

I am going to write in for sure.

Smart breeding? No way. Mongrel breeding is all. Borgis or coxers, take your pick.BTW Jack Russell Terriers aren't recognised as a pure breed by the K.C & therefore aren't listed on that pure breed register. Just thought I'd throw that in as a bit of useless information. :)

hmmm well if you think about it mathematically there comes a point when they are back to being 100% Boxer.

If you think about it logically, as soon as they cross bred, the line was broken, finished, kaput,

that's all she wrote.

Instead it just continued on with no mention of the corgis in the pedigree.

So much for the British K.C. & their pure breed registery.

Pathetic.

Sacrificed integrity for a purely cosmetic outcome.

Double pathetic.

I tried to call on Saturday though noone was available to speak with.

Will give them a buzz tomorrow to get the best point of contact and find out exactly which vet it was then post up here :)

I am going to write in for sure.

It was Alister Webster,he is the resident Better Homes and Gardens vet, he works for Blackmores under their animal health division PAW - (Pure Animal Wellbeing). He goes by Dr. Al on the show,it says he is a third generation vet. I was very surprised by some of his recommendations especially the bit "anything ending in oodle" and also what he said about the labradors.

Link below

PAWS

No she didn't ask if there is such thing as multi generational crosses. She asked if there was such thing as multi generation crosses with the Oodles specifically.

I think based on her question she knows that purebreds come from multi generation crosses originally.

In answer to Huskies question yes there are multi generation crosses of some oodles ie: there is a Labradoodle association that is working towards ANKC purebred recognition and they have breeders who are several generations in and getting fairly consistent results in relation to size, coats etc.

http://www.laa.org.au/index.htm

Then you have some puppy farmers who brag about how all of their pups are first generation crosses to preserve "hybrid vigour".