gone

Agreed about Sibes and obedience, I wonder if anyone is trying to breed out the independent / obstinate streak in Spitz breeds?

Oh gosh, Sinta, I hope not! I've seen a couple of breeds' temperament changed over the years to suit people's ideas and they just aren't the same dog, seem to lose their character. There's always a suitable temperament for nearly everyone, why mess with a dog's characteristics?

Thanks idigadog, its interesting to read peoples responses to it

Agreed about Sibes and obedience, I wonder if anyone is trying to breed out the independent / obstinate streak in Spitz breeds?

This is something my OH and I argue about a lot.

Huskies need that streak to help them survive.

If you had a dog that just did as it was told, you might find yourself sinking in a lake of ice.

I do know of a breeder- or a whole group of breeders who are in the process of developing a more obedience spitz type breed. I know some people dislike cross breeds etc, so i won't go too far into it, but they do seem to be doing right by all the dogs. However I know they don't race as well as huskies ;)

A breed I had many years ago, noted for their independent, stand-off attitude and while that could make them hard to live with, you accepted that was 'the dog'. Not a breed for a lot of people but they became a glamour status breed and their temperament was changed through selective breeding. Now they are just 'another dog' in the ring, gone is the haughty, majestic dog.