Soft Tissue Injury Near Carpal Bones

One of my dogs has a soft tissue swelling on his left carpal bones. The vet has done a biopsy and lab report on the tissue which has come back ruling out cancer and saying it appears to be as a result of trauma to the area. Dog is 5 years old, fit, not overweight and a bit of a hoon. He is not showing any signs of pain or lameness.

The thing is, he's had this thing for about 4 weeks, it seemed to appear gradually and it doesn't seem to be improving. Normally bumps and lumps just disappear. I am not sure what to try next - pondering if I should try a canine physio.

Has anyone seen something like this before? Vet and lab report have also ruled out it being a bursa, infection, cyst, haematoma or calcinosis. Because of where it is positioned, surgery to remove the tissue is not an option.

Edited to attach pic.

post-16399-0-70213400-1320989515_thumb.jpg

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

my greyhound man says it's a split tendon sheath. My greyhound has them on both front legs. I only noticed the other day that one has gone right down while the other is still as large as life. I didn't treat it as it is causing no problems.

Interesting, because I asked on a coursing group on FB and they also said "soft laser".

Edit: Pav, onlead only meaning you'd still do moderate road work? Or none at all?

If he were one of my Greys, I'd rest him for a couple of days and let him do nothing, including going to the toilet on lead. I'd have it strapped and would laser it every 24 hours and short road walks only.

I'd strap the joint with tape, rather than bandage. I have one race dog that has a joint that stays strapped 24/7 and it doesn't appear to bother him

ETA: I'm a big fan of rest cures all and so is my muscle man. Time has mended all of my Greyhound injuries and I haven't ever resorted to needles and rarely drugs other than antibiotics

Edited by Pav Lova

If he were one of my Greys, I'd rest him for a couple of days and let him do nothing, including going to the toilet on lead. I'd have it strapped and would laser it every 24 hours and short road walks only.

I'd strap the joint with tape, rather than bandage. I have one race dog that has a joint that stays strapped 24/7 and it doesn't appear to bother him

ETA: I'm a big fan of rest cures all and so is my muscle man. Time has mended all of my Greyhound injuries and I haven't ever resorted to needles and rarely drugs other than antibiotics

Thanks Pav, really appreciate it. Re lasers, is that something you can purchase for home use or do you need to go to a chiro or physio?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey SSM, I only just saw this post.

Indi had something very similar (if not identical) a while ago...and was diagnosed at the vets (after Xrays) as being trauma of the sesamoid bone, causing it to fuse to the anterior carpal(?). Apparently caused by him knocking it when hooning around the place at 100 miles an hour :doh:

The swelling did go down after a few weeks, but not completely and now the lump has calcified.....it doesn't impinge on his movement at all, and doesn't cause any pain or discomfort whatsoever...just looks slightly unsightly.

Wonder if laser treatment might have helped early on?

Anyway, hope all turned out ok for you with this :)

Very interesting topic!

My 17 week old RR pup has a "lump" on the side of her foot, that has come up after being in a splint for a week for a suspected greenstick fracture/sprain of the fourth metacarsal (toe). The toe has healed fine but her foot seems misshapen :( . She is on Anti imflamatories, and she has been out of the splint since late Friday night.

I have been debating whether to take her back to the vet or leave it to see how she goes. It doesn't worry her to move on it but it is tender to touch. (not hugely but she does move away when I try to play with it)

So do We go to the Vets or let time heal it???? :confused:

Opinions welcome :thumbsup:

Very interesting topic!

My 17 week old RR pup has a "lump" on the side of her foot, that has come up after being in a splint for a week for a suspected greenstick fracture/sprain of the fourth metacarsal (toe). The toe has healed fine but her foot seems misshapen :( . She is on Anti imflamatories, and she has been out of the splint since late Friday night.

I have been debating whether to take her back to the vet or leave it to see how she goes. It doesn't worry her to move on it but it is tender to touch. (not hugely but she does move away when I try to play with it)

So do We go to the Vets or let time heal it???? :confused:

Opinions welcome :thumbsup:

I would be back to the vet, did they x-ray her foot?

No they didn't xray, as the vet said at the time that treatment for a sprain and greenstick fracture was the same. Where the swelling is now is not where the original problem was :(. (the swelling is coming out the side now.)

It's funny but it reminds me of how Japenese women historically used to bind their feet (to make their feet smaller and "dainty" )and they became misshapen. The leg/foot was only in the splint for a week, so I hope the foot will regain it's shape.

But I will take her into the vet, tomorrow. :)