Barking - But Only When I Am Inside

Heading says it all. Kate, at 10.5 years, is now an outside dog - not my choice, but we have moved in with mum while I get my house rebuilt.

Kate barks, loudly, if I am not with her, but only if I am actually there. If I leave the property, the barking stops.

Because next door (it turns out) have a child that is handicapped and is not sleeping at all thru this, we can't just wait for her to extinguish bark herself so Mum has been staying up all night with the spray bottle.

I've put her on Rescue Remedy, I'm clicking when she stops barking - what else can I do? Mum will not allow her inside, nor allow me to move out to the sleepout (stubborn dutchness coming out again!)

Duke, on the other hand, who is my problem dog, has been a lovely, easy to handle dog (mums words)- she's never liked him before!

Would your mum let her in if she is on lead or tethered to a couch? You're mum is just going to get more stressed about it all by trying to stop your dog barking if she stays up at night trying to spray her. Lack of sleep on her part will not help. Is the dog barking at the back door or up in the yard? I think I'd be telling your mum it's a management issue, that she'd be best inside. If time is against you management is best. She's an older dog (over 70 in human years) and may be anxious and disoriented at night as she might have vision problems (just saying that as an argument to help you with your mum) especially if she's previously been an inside dog. Good luck!

Yup, the easiest solution would be if they were allowed inside - even if it was only to sleep - or I sleep in the sleepout. While that seems obvious to you and me, Mum just can't get her head around that. She is too phobic about dog hair, dog germs and the notion that dogs belong outside. We are never going to see eye to eye on that last one!

I am so hoping that Kate settles in a week. :( If not, I may need to take Kate to see the dog shrink too.

Okay, talked to the dog shrink who suggests trying an adaptil collar (basically a DAP collar) in preference to bark collars since this is anxiety related and a bark collar could well do more harm than good.

Anyone know of anywhere in Perth that sells them???

Guest lavendergirl

You can buy those collars online I think. I can understand if your Mum does not want the dogs in the house but why can't you sleep on the sleep out??

Hi Lavendergirl - because as usual, its not just a dog problem, but also a people problem. I'm going to make much more headway with the dogs, than I ever will with my mum, who at age 72 is tending to a little more paranoia and OCD every year. (not to mention she has all the ductch stubbornnes - push and her heels dig right in) It is her firm opinion - dogs outside, people inside and sleepouts are considered outside. I've already offered to sleep outside - firmly negated!

I've got an adaptil collar on order, and my nice vet has sold me a dap diffuser which I am hoping will help until the collar arrives. It does look as though the DAP diffuser is helping, as Kate is currently happy to flake out on her back (like normal) rather than the curled up ball she's been using those few times she settles. My fingers are crossed!

Have you tried leaving a piece of your clothing that you've worn recently with Kate as well? It might also help her settle. If you have the DAP spray you can spray it on her bedding regularly. I wasn't aware the collars were available in Australia yet. Good to know. Good luck!!

if your mum considers that the sleepout is "outside" would a crate in the sleepout work for Kate? She might feel more secure in one. I don't think that she is too old to learn to sleep in one either.

Yep, left clothing etc and Kate is crate trained - it just seems to be the absence of my presence when I am on the property!

Both crates have now been moved into the shed with the dap diffuser - and we all hope for a quiet night. And hoping that this week sees the barking slowly dwindle to the occasional yap. we'd all be happy with that.

For those people reading along, the DAP didn't quite keep things quiet, but there is no doubt both the dogs slept well! :laugh:

Kate has also spent her first night with the Adaptil Collar (DAP in a collar) - silly brother bought the medium/large dog one - Kate's neck is actually very small its just the hair that makes it look substantial! The first night - no reduction in frequency, but the duration and loudness/intensity have definately dropped, which makes me think that it is helping regulate her stress and anxiety levels.

She is also looking much less stressed in the mornings, and when I come home from work.

Duke is in heaven - mum - who does not like dogs - feeds them morning tea and lunch! (cut up peanut butter sandwiches and apples). I will so need the DAP when we all move back to the new house next year!!