Snake Bite Symptoms

Odin-Genie

After reading the other thread about snake bites, I was wondering if there are any particular symptoms that one can watch out for.

If a dog gets bitten by a snake while no one is around, and the snake escapes, how would you know that it's a snake bite? Particularly when there are plenty of leeches around and that could cause bleeding.

Even if the dog is licking the area where it got bitten, how would you know that the dog didn't just step on something sharp?

When would you rush the dog to the vet?

One of my dogs was bitten on the neck by a western brown snake last year and collapsed maybe 5 minutes after. We did not see her get bitten, but she was sniffing in a bush and then collapsed, lost control of her bowel, had convulsions, difficulty breathing but these symptoms all passed after another 5 minutes. She then got up and seemed drowsy but ok, but unfortunately died at the vets 24 hours later from internal bleeding.

If you missed the initial symptoms, but had a dog that was not behaving normally I would take them to the vet anyway, there is so many things that could be wrong. The bite itself on my dog was almost impossible to see and she was a black and tan Dobe with a short coat. The next day the bite area had swollen but it did take some time for that to happen.