Allergy Rash?

A couple of days ago I noticed some different coloured welts on Kirah's belly. She was at the vet today (the one we saw I've requested not to see because she's useless) and I was told to keep an eye on them as it's more than likely an allergic reaction to the fleas I found on her a few days ago. Both Kirah and Zeus were given Comfortis and another dose of Frontline Plus (for ticks) as they were due for both as soon as I spotted the flea on Wednesday.

Since coming home from work tonight I've noticed that the welts are even redder and that she's busted the pus-filled pimple-like one and is scratching like crazy. The vet didn't give me anything even though she talked about a cream she could give me and I'm so frustrated that I now have to take Kirah back for another visit. :mad

Luckily I'm off work tomorrow because Kirah and I have puppy training at midday so I'm hoping to get into the vet either first thing in the morning or in the afternoon. And I'm going to have to ask which vet is working because if it's her again, then I'll have to use a different clinic.

I managed to get some photos to post in hopes of getting some DOL opinions. They were both taken this afternoon before they got worse over the course of the afternoon.

post-21435-0-03797200-1321624168_thumb.jpg

The welt on the bottom left is my biggest concern as it's the pus-like one, however, there are some black tipped ones as well and because they're all so different I have no idea.

post-21435-0-15579500-1321624182_thumb.jpg

A closer up shot with flash.

Kirah's not the most co-operative patient and loves to squirm!

they look like pustules to me not welts.

I would try Neocort cream for a few days it has the anitbiotic/antiinflam and lignocaine (topical anesthetic) in. betadine is also good i use it for any wounds/bites etc.

other than fleas is their anything else that might be biting? mozzies?

i have used claratyne. 10mg in a 22kg dog, no adverse but not sure it helped..

My pup had something similar, little pustules all over his belly from an allergic reaction to something. The vet gave us antibiotics just in case but what helped most were antihistamines. Vet recommended Phenergan 10mg tablets, they are first gen antihistamine so can cause drowsyness (not that we saw lol!) but are very safe.

My pup had something similar, little pustules all over his belly from an allergic reaction to something. The vet gave us antibiotics just in case but what helped most were antihistamines. Vet recommended Phenergan 10mg tablets, they are first gen antihistamine so can cause drowsyness (not that we saw lol!) but are very safe.

Why do vets advise to give Phenergan when there are newer, non-drowsy alternatives?? :confused:

It sounds/looks like a staph infection from scratching the allergic rash.

Administer some antihistimine to reduce the itchiness, then apply some diluted betadine to the area with the sores.

I did a lot of research when my dog ended up with a similar looking problem and there seemed to be no consensus about taking antibiotics to fix it. So I opted to try the betadine rather than overload her with drugs. After a few days it had cleared up. :thumbsup:

I LOVE betadine... :D