Farewell To The Forever Dog

MissyPriss

Well, my darling boy, where do I even start? I have countless amounts of memories of you and its really hard to pick a couple as they are all my favorites :)

Lets start with my first ever memory of you, and that was the very first time you came home to us. I was just eight years old, you abut 4ish years and you were our first family dog as mum and dad wanted us to be a bit older before having animals. You lept out of the car and in true Rex style, glued yourself to myself and my sister right from that moment.

You are my best mate through primary school, and then when I went onto high school. Every afternoon I would take you for walkies, where we would walk pretty much all over town, stopping both at the oval for a game of fetch and then to the shops for a meat stick (your favorite). The only downside to that was due to your ability to escape even the toughest of gates, fences and enclosures we would always find you sitting outside the shops, or racing around on the oval by yourself. There was even a time you helped yourself to a nice cool swim at the local pool, much to everyones amusement and my embarrassment. Or the time I collected you from 'Sunday School', you were surrounded by about 30 kids, completely in your element after you had stolen their soccer ball and killed it. You were well known to the general community, and everyone kept an eye out for the naughty boy, who was just so damned social that you had to be in the company of a human - any human!

When I left home I still stopped by every now and then to visit you, and was surprised at how much you had aged. You were estimated then to be around 15 years then. When I was 19, I came back home and you thought it was the best thing in the world! I even brought my own puppy back home with me, and you pair instantly became best buddies. It was strange though, as being your true self you had never really liked other animals - you absolutely hated cats even though we always had our two felines, they learnt to keep out of your way. You never really bonded with another dog before my puppy came home, but you pair were inseparable, even though the age difference was about 10 years! My poor boy put up with you dragging him around the yard, playing, wrestling and having loads of fun! This bond seemed to stop your wanting to get out, and from then on you stayed put.

At 20, I started going out with mates from primary and high school, and as they dropped over to my place for a visit, they would always stop dead in their tracks, looking at you going....um, dont tell me that is who I think it is?! Yes, and then even more memories came back from those days when my friends and I would be playing in the pool after school and you were right there alongside us. I dont think I really have any other memories from when you werent with me.

Just two years ago we brought another little kitten into the family. We were careful, because at this stage you had grown quite old and came to live indoors permanently so had closer contact with the cats you hated so much. My heart stopped when the kitten raced up to you to say hello, but you instantly accepted him although you still had quite a passion for scaring cats. You and the new kitty became best mates also, and we were always shocked to see you and him snuggled up together. You still hated cats, and would chase the others at any time you could, but you came to learn quickly that you were not allowed to do that indoors.

Not long after the arrival of the new kitten, was the arrival of my second heart dog, who unfortunately crossed the rainbow bridge at just 14 months old. During his time with us none of the other animals liked him, or really bonded with him, but you made it your job to play with him. At 25kilos, you were no match for my 50kilo puppy but you still kept up with him quite nicely! You were the one to comfort me after he was given his wings, and I loved you for it.

This year you turned a grand old 21 years of age. A little bit deaf and your eyesight wasnt the best, you were still up for a game of chasies or bugging me to throw your ball. Your body started to get weary, and your legs couldnt carry you the way they had done in the past. You didnt let that stop you, and would alternate one day of rest with one day of playing so hard that you knew you were going to be sore. But you never regretted it. You lived so in the moment that it was just unbelievably amazing to be owned by you :)

Your time came on Friday, after you being a part of this family for 18 years. I helped you cross over and it was a very nice peaceful and dignified journey for you. I am sad that you are not here and it is very strange not having you by my side but I am also happy for you, and celebrating the fantastic life that you had. It was an absolute pleasure in being your owner, and I will always carry that special place in my heart for my Forever Dog. Run free my cherished boy, restored to the happy, energetic dog you were once upon a time.

post-27155-0-73273200-1321769231_thumb.jpg

post-27155-0-52227100-1321769240_thumb.jpg

post-27155-0-93102100-1321769244_thumb.jpg

thanks guys, it is a huge adjustment to deal with. Just coming home and not seeing my boy sitting on his bed all happy to see me. The other dogs have been a little depressed so have joined me on the couch for nighttime cuddles this week. Am dealing okay with it, I knew that this was coming for a while, though just struggling with the fact I wont be able to cremate him due to financial stuff. :) xx

• 5 weeks later...

Well, its been a little over a month now that my sexy Rexy has been gone, and I still find myself reaching down to my side with a bit of leftover food to give him - like the end crust of a sandwich, or if I drop something in the kitchen I still call out to him to come and get it for me :) Its difficult to describe but it is just really odd that he isnt here anymore. i suppose it takes a bit of time to adjust after they have been by your side and most of my memories have him there in the background somewhere!

I ended up getting my boy cremated, decided that I am only going to have a very very small xmas but the sacrifice was 100% worth it - couldnt bear to dispose of him and I am kind of relieved that I was able to chose the other option. He now has pride of place next to my heart puppy who left me at a very young age, and I really hope that they are playing wrestles non stop wherever they are :)

Might have to dig out some old albums to look through his younger photos :)