Telegony In Dogs

EmiLeigh

I have been having this 'discussion' with my partner a while back about the possibility of dogs 'throwing back' to previous matings, and a friend recently bought up the topic again today. So tell me, if you have a pure bred bitch and she mates with a mutt, is she 'ruined' for further purebred breeding?

Woudldn't that mean a bitch would have to store live sperm in it for that period of it for it to be physically possible?

Plus that means if you were to mate a purebred bitch wtih one stud dog one season and another stud dog another, she could have pups from the previous dog, meaning that no breeder could garantee the pup is of the genetic lineage they say it is if they have bred their dog with other studs in the past. Right?

Look forward to your answers :)

Nope impossible

ETA:

the words " throw back " more often than not refer to characteristics of ancestors. For example the pups were a throw back of the Grandsire or the line might has produced a particualr type or colour for generations and then an odd one out pops up.

Edited by Pav Lova

Looks like I won that argument :D

My partner thinks he has seen this, but I think he may have just seen a bitch who got pregnant to two dogs in the one mating(??) though he is convinced the bitch he saw didn't have the chance to mate with another dog.

Thank you everyone for your answers.

Long-term sperm storage can occur in some reptiles and some invertebrates (wasps, worms etc.) but not dogs, or any mammals as far as I know.

Multiple matings sound like the culprit. Did you win a beer at least? ;)

Edited by Weasels

Looks like I won that argument :D

My partner thinks he has seen this, but I think he may have just seen a bitch who got pregnant to two dogs in the one mating(??) though he is convinced the bitch he saw didn't have the chance to mate with another dog.

Yup, that can definitely happen! Either that, or immaculate conception ;)