Baby Puppies In The Challenge Line Up

Bullbreedlover

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how the babies are given as much equality to the other dogs here in NZ

so they can get points then, I thought they couldn't or have I got it all wrong :confused:

can't get points!!!

then they aren't equal to the other dogs

No they cant get points, but that doesnt mean to say they are inferior to the dogs which are eligible for points. It means that current regulations say they cant get points based on their age

NZ dont work on points!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we work on challenges :)

You must have 8 challenge certificates (awarded to each best of breed) over the age of 6 months, and 1 must be after the dog has reached 1 year. Must be form at least 5 different judges.

Babies dont get CCs, but in every other way they are equal. A lot of judges dont consider them in the line up, but they still get a run around. If a baby is a good example of the breed, its is judged equally along with the older dogs. I dont see a problem with that! You can have your 6 months old judged against a 6 year old, so what is the diff there?

NZ dont work on points!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we work on challenges :)

You must have 8 challenge certificates (awarded to each best of breed) over the age of 6 months, and 1 must be after the dog has reached 1 year. Must be form at least 5 different judges.

Babies dont get CCs, but in every other way they are equal. A lot of judges dont consider them in the line up, but they still get a run around. If a baby is a good example of the breed, its is judged equally along with the older dogs. I dont see a problem with that! You can have your 6 months old judged against a 6 year old, so what is the diff there?

our 6 month old gets its hard earned points if it beats the 6 year old!!!

Nope - dog and bitch CC is worth one point regardless of the number of dogs or bitches present. BOB is worth nothing more. 8 CCs with one over 1 year old uner at leats 5 different judges = Ch. Pups under 6 months old aren't entitled to be awarded a CC but can be best dog or best bitch (and win BOB)

Has it's good and bad points like every other system :)

Nope - dog and bitch CC is worth one point regardless of the number of dogs or bitches present. BOB is worth nothing more. 8 CCs with one over 1 year old uner at leats 5 different judges = Ch. Pups under 6 months old aren't entitled to be awarded a CC but can be best dog or best bitch (and win BOB)

I like the sound of that, makes it even ground for those with small and large numbers in the breed, if you are the only one of the breed it takes 17 shows to get 100 points, whereas more popular breeds can do it in 4 shows with 25 point challenges.

can the BOB baby compete for group /BIS??

I say no babies are babies & its a fun time for them

They certainly can.

Our baby took out Best of Non Sporting group and then won Reserve Best in Show.

But then she was a stunning baby and went on to be one of the most awarded Bulldog bitches in NZ in her time.

Some babies hate the show ring LOL and people still drag them out and then some just love it

So in theory it is possible for a baby puppy to go best in show and yet get a not qualified? So that really no points are won at best in show level? Not too sure I like that idea. I could imagine some of the ringside comments if a baby puppy got best in show, especially from the runner up in show. I would be pretty peeved if the only dog to beat me at a show then ended up not being awarded any points. Perhaps if they were able to get the points it might be different but to win and get not qualified, no.

I also don't go with the NZ requirements for a ch title. For us to go down that path I think would really lessen the title value. But then thats just me personally.

I like the sound of that, makes it even ground for those with small and large numbers in the breed, if you are the only one of the breed it takes 17 shows to get 100 points, whereas more popular breeds can do it in 4 shows with 25 point challenges.

If a rare breed here gets best in group or best in show though, they can get 25 points too. The NZ points method doesn't seem to reward for anything bigger than a challenge. A dog who is good enough to consistently win bigger awards should definitely be titled faster than a dog who consistently wins against little or no competition but never goes any further.

My boy actually won his first best in group the weekend after he obtained his 100 points. He looked like a lanky puppy up until that stage. Capable of winning breed, but not really in it for the group.

I get what you are saying though, I just think for a regular champion title it would be a good idea, then for grand or supreme have the extra requirements (groups, best in shows etc). It's interesting to see how other countries systems work.

Don't just blame it on NZ - this is the UK system too (except they have 3 CCs not 8) It USED to be 12 CCs in NZ, and many moons before that 2 or 3 (can't remember) and one had to be won in each island (2 main islands LOL)

The system really does annoy me as my bitch won CC & BiS at the largest speciality show for our breed held in NZ, she got 1 point. The person who chose (as is their right of course) to go to an all breeds show the same day with no competition, got 1 point.

I like the South African system - usually 1 point with an extra point (making it a 2 point CC) for entry numbers over a certain amount (varies by breed I believe)

Guest CaptainCourageous

Fleurball went RUBOB / BCC yesterday, ranked above 3 others, at 6 months 2 days. Regardless, challenge points shouldn't be available to babies.

CC

Fleurball went RUBOB / BCC yesterday, ranked above 3 others, at 6 months 2 days. Regardless, challenge points shouldn't be available to babies.

CC

Bet you accepted that challenge with a grin???

Two days out of baby

I am not saying challenge points should be available to babies.

But that they should be able to enter the ring for Best Dog.Bitch and compete for Best of Breed.

But they are just deemed NOT ELIGIBLE as such.

Bet a few people out there would be gutted that their dog or bitch got beaten by a baby on the day.

But the system does work.

People just have to see past the "OMG its a baby" thing

The thing is that judges are judging them on the day as they are in the flesh. No one can predict what a baby is going to be like 6 months down the track, just like a 6 month old puppy can go off track by the time it turns 12 months old.

Edited by Bullbreedlover

I mean...lets face it

If a judge wants to put up a baby Best of Sex, or even God forbid Best of Breed chances are they(judge) wouldnt be looking at the adults she also had in the line up for anything further in group anyway.

So they cant get points...so what.

Isnt it all about judging dogs and finding the Best Specimen on the day in the Breed/Group/show.