How Can Anyone Think Its Right To Hit A Dog!

whitka

We are looking after a freinds dog for them for a few days. He's a young staffy x who likes to chew things so we made him some toys for him. I saw that he was chewing something that he shouldnt be so I started going to out to get it off him, well the housemate beat me to it and I still cant believe this but he gave a fare smack to this dogs head :eek: What right does he have hitting a dog let alone one that isnt even yours but no im wrong you have to hit dogs to teach them :banghead: The dog wasnt even chewing anything when the housemate hit him but the poor dog ran off from him dont blame him. I now feel like I have to protect this poor dog from my stupid housemates :mad

Edited by whitka

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go I have an idea for you

Tonight on your way home go to the shop and get the following.

1 Packet of 3 min noodles

1 Packet of Tim Tams

1 Bucket of KFC

1 6 pack of Bundy and Coke

1 Bottle of water

1 Packet of Jaffas

1 Piece of 4X2

Call and say you have made dinner so just come home

Set table as follows

Plate with KFC in centre

Tim Tams on plate at edge

Open Bundy can on other edge

Soften noodles (no seasoning) then put in a bowl on the table when cold.

Put water in a dirty glass

Get a treat pouch and put the Jaffas in it and stand out of sight with the 4X2

When he comes in and grabs anything but the noodles yell at him in a language he doesn't understand hit him with the 4X2 and take a piece of chicken or a tim tam for yourself.

It is very important at this point not to explain why or to speak in english. If he trys to defend himself you know what to do.

When he goes for a bundy again yell in Swahili hit with 4X2 and drink some bundy yourself.

Repeat until he goes for the noodles (no fork) and when he does throw a jaffa at him and say "YES" good boy.

Same goes for the water

Repeat until he gets the message or you break the 4X2.

Then give the left over's to the dog (but take the bones out of the chicken)

This is very similar to the method my OH employed to get me to pick up towels and put socks in the washing basket!!!!

Edited by Bull Arab

Different people are bought up / believe for what ever reason different ways to treat an animal.

I grew up with a dog and horses all my life and am more for positive reinforcement or a big gorwl if needed. I will smack if necessary but am mindfull not to hit around the head.

My fiance had a dog for two weeks as a kid and is quicker to smack first up, and i have to keep asking him to please at least growl first and give our pup a chance to do the right thing before smacking him.

though my OH loves him just as much as i do, it's just an example of how people can have two different ways of seeing "discipline". My OH isn't a violent person but this is how he thought you trained an animal.

You room mate probably didn't even realise it wasn't appropriate, so don't be too hard on him. But ask him not to hit the dog, it's not his to train, and if something gets chewed that shouldn't be then its their fault for leaving it around where the dog can get it. (And i have a staffy pup so i know the pain!!)

I agree Whitka, this house mate had no right to touch the dog.. I would be laying down the law to him, as you said you are minding this dog for a friend and I must say if I found out someone had touched my dog I would be devastated.. They have also asked "you" to look after their dog because they trust you, this housmate stepped over the line..

Ha! Good point bull Arab!!

I really think there are very few situations where hitting a dog is a useful or effective thing to do. Even if you do get the timing exactly right for the dog to connect the punishment to what it's actually done wrong I think it will damage other aspects of your training and bond with the dog - and that's if you get the timing exactly right which I doubt happens in most cases.

Yep, I like the idea of the 4 x 2 on the housemate. Dogs do need to know right from wrong, but not that way. When my dogs were young and even now, if they have something that they shouldn't have, I just put my hand out and say Ta, I'll have that, and praise when I get it. No dramas, no frightened dogs.

Here we go I have an idea for you

Tonight on your way home go to the shop and get the following.

1 Packet of 3 min noodles

1 Packet of Tim Tams

1 Bucket of KFC

1 6 pack of Bundy and Coke

1 Bottle of water

1 Packet of Jaffas

1 Piece of 4X2

Call and say you have made dinner so just come home

Set table as follows

Plate with KFC in centre

Tim Tams on plate at edge

Open Bundy can on other edge

Soften noodles (no seasoning) then put in a bowl on the table when cold.

Put water in a dirty glass

Get a treat pouch and put the Jaffas in it and stand out of sight with the 4X2

When he comes in and grabs anything but the noodles yell at him in a language he doesn't understand hit him with the 4X2 and take a piece of chicken or a tim tam for yourself.

It is very important at this point not to explain why or to speak in english. If he trys to defend himself you know what to do.

When he goes for a bundy again yell in Swahili hit with 4X2 and drink some bundy yourself.

Repeat until he goes for the noodles (no fork) and when he does throw a jaffa at him and say "YES" good boy.

Same goes for the water

Repeat until he gets the message or you break the 4X2.

Then give the left over's to the dog (but take the bones out of the chicken)

This is very similar to the method my OH employed to get me to pick up towels and put socks in the washing basket!!!!

:rofl: gold!

Oh PS I've never hit my dogs (or any other) and don't intend to. I think there are better ways to teach and if it seemed to be a good way to teach I just don't think it's fair for me to use physical punishment on something SO much smaller than me.

Also there have been plenty of times where I've accidentally stood on a paw or bumped a head with my foot or tripped over a dog and I certainly don't want them getting confused and thinking they've done something wrong in those situations.

whitka I'd be telling your flat mate to either treat the dog how you and the owner expect it to be treated or steer clear of it altogether, his choice.

I do think it can be ok to 'hit' a dog (or child) but I don't think it is ever acceptable to hurt a dog (or child) - in my mind there is a difference. How do I think it can be alright to hit a dog? Well because you can't always explain everything to children or dogs (try explaining to a dog why they shouldn't chase a cat on the other side of the road) what they need to understand is that for whatever reason (maybe it's dangerous for example) you find something completely unacceptable and are very angered and upset should they perform those actions (run across the road, try and pull things off the stove etc).

But I think what your housemate did was wrong. For smacking to be an effective punishment, the subject needs to trust you, and to not want you upset or angry. My dog isn't scared when I hit him, he knows I would never hurt him and he certainly doesn't run and hide from me afterward. He is just sad because he knows how angry I am at him. Secondly, the subject most know what it is that you disapprove of. We can say to my dog, "get off the road," and he will run onto the footpath. So if he steps on without permission, well he gets a smack, and he knows why because he leaps off the road once he realises he's on it. But I think without meeting these criteria you run the risk of creating a dog that fears humans and learns to use physical means to resolve their problems (same thing happens in children).

If someone hit my dog and he wasn't either attacking them or their dog, well I would be very angry and let them have it. I'm sure I'd be even worse if it was a child.

It was a loseing a battle for me so I just said if hes doing something wrong tell me or my bf and we will deal with it. I have never hit my dog (nor do I intend to ) and he is so well behaved, well most of the time. The most he has gotten is a tap on the bum.

Bull Arab I love it :rofl:

Edited by whitka

Wow I'm really gobsmacked at the number of people who think it's ok to hit their dogs.

In an emergency situation i.e. a dog was attacking me or one of my dogs - sure I'd happily kick or hit it to get it off my dogs but aside from that I cannot fathom why you'd want to hit your dog.

I'm an instructor at my local obedience club and recently had words with a member who thought it was ok to smack his dog in the face multiple times. There is NO REASON for it whatsoever.