Personal Fitness

I hope Troy doesn't think this thread is off topic, but I thought I would start a thread for all those DOL's who think they could do with a little bit of trimming down, mainly so we can all live longer, but also give our best to our dogs in their chosen sports. I live a long way from gyms, personal trainers or weight loss groups, so I am looking for support from DOL's in reaching my personal fitness goal & hope that others can join in & we give support to each other ;) My BC girl is very kind to me & usually runs at my pace, but I would like to get quicker & not be so puffed & red in the face when I finish a run. Cricket Puppy (9 mo BC) on the other hand is definately going to be a 600 dog & superfast & for me to give him the best chance I need to get fitter,& faster (& better at distance handling :laugh: ) I am 60 yo, retired & by my reckoning, 10 kilos overweight. I have started daily walking again for 45 minutes...up hill & back, without dogs, as the dogs slow me down & of course, I am going to try to eat only healthy & spend a little less time on the computer. I know I can do it, as I set the same challenge 8 years ago when I wanted to climb a certain mountain that kept beckoning me everytime I went on holidays. I also had to overcome a terrible fear of height...but I did it :thumbsup:

So I am going to bump this thread up every Saturday, & report in. So wish me luck, everybody ;)

Good luck Sheena :) I have lost about 9 kg since I got Stella as she is always up to 'something' so I find I don't get as much sitting around time as I used to have. I walk for 2 hours everyday with both the dogs.I am 48.

Funny part about it I didn't need to lose it, so I trying to eat more so I don't get any thinner :o I am lucky cause I must just burn it off. I have a really good diet though, no junk food, chocolate or bickies. Enjoy a couple

of quiet ones most nights of the week ;) Not going to give them away any time soon. :laugh:

At the risk of sounding like a dummy, what do you mean by a 600 dog, is that it's time or something?

Edited by BC Crazy

Good luck Sheena!

I have started daily walking again for 45 minutes...up hill & back, without dogs, as the dogs slow me down

:eek: How do BCs slow you down? My kelpies do the opposite, keep me jogging when I want to walk!

Also there is this thread if you want some more group support - http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/230261-anyone-want-to-join-me-getting-healthy/ :)

It means that for ANKC Agility he will be jumping 600cm height. I havn't seen many (if any) registered Border Collies jumping in the 600 at the trials I go to....most are in the 500. Maybe a couple of Associate Register ones with unknown parentage. So he has a long stride & I am either going to have to get faster or smarter to avoid frustrating him. Lucky you, my OH is like you, can eat what he likes...makes it hard on me cause there is always plenty of food in the house :(

Thanks for the link, Weasels. I never go into "off topic" so I missed that one. Will have to sit down with a cuppa (no cake) & read it through. Where I go walking is out on a bush road, which is frequented by all sorts of creatures including dingos & wild dogs as well as cars & idiots on motor bikes. So if I take either or both of my dogs they have to be on leads & they are forever wanting to stop & sniff, which slows me down. Plus there is always the chance of coming across a dingo or wild dog, which would freak me out if I had my babies with me. They get walked twice a day off lead in a safer part of the farm...this is on top of that & it gives me time to myself & I can set my own pace.

Edited by sheena

(

Thanks for the link, Weasels. I never go into "off topic" so I missed that one. Will have to sit down with a cuppa (no cake) & read it through. Where I go walking is out on a bush road, which is frequented by all sorts of creatures including dingos & wild dogs as well as cars & idiots on motor bikes. So if I take either or both of my dogs they have to be on leads & they are forever wanting to stop & sniff, which slows me down. Plus there is always the chance of coming across a dingo or wild dog, which would freak me out if I had my babies with me. They get walked twice a day off lead in a safer part of the farm...this is on top of that & it gives me time to myself & I can set my own pace.

Makes sense, my boy does the sniffing zigzags when we're walking now that I think about it! It's only when we're jogging they know to keep moving ahead.

I'd freak out if a wild dog got near my dogs too! :eek:

60cm isn't it sheena? One he'll oh a dog to jump 600cm!

:laugh:

600mm might be the one! I would like to see a dog jump 6 metres tho :p

:rofl: Yeah...I keep getting my cm & mm mixed up...must be a seniors thing :laugh: I still think in inches. Jules...I will be working up to sprinting. I do a bit of that each day while training the dogs, but eventually my walk becomes.....walk up the hill (1.5klm,) then jog down. Last time I took Bindi on my walk, she suddenly kept turning & looking over her shoulder & was in a hurry to get home. When I took Cricket Puppy, he got to the same spot then wouldn't go any further...so that spooked me out a bit & I now go on my own. Some wild critters (humans) around here. Havn't seen them myself, but evidentually there are a couple of pitbulls running loose ATM & the owner has told us if we see them to shoot them on sight :eek: Had the first of the Canine Club Christmas parties last night :(:(

60cm isn't it sheena? One he'll oh a dog to jump 600cm!

:laugh:

600mm might be the one! I would like to see a dog jump 6 metres tho :p

:rofl: Yeah...I keep getting my cm & mm mixed up...must be a seniors thing :laugh: I still think in inches. Jules...I will be working up to sprinting. I do a bit of that each day while training the dogs, but eventually my walk becomes.....walk up the hill (1.5klm,) then jog down. Last time I took Bindi on my walk, she suddenly kept turning & looking over her shoulder & was in a hurry to get home. When I took Cricket Puppy, he got to the same spot then wouldn't go any further...so that spooked me out a bit & I now go on my own. Some wild critters (humans) around here. Havn't seen them myself, but evidentually there are a couple of pitbulls running loose ATM & the owner has told us if we see them to shoot them on sight :eek: Had the first of the Canine Club Christmas parties last night :(:(

:rofl: 6 meters :rofl: Yep, definitely a seniors thing. Know the feeling :o And loose Pitbulls would be my worst night mare. I am always on the lookout for stray dogs. Scary.

I need to regain my fitness, since my Dobe girl passed away last year I haven't had the drive the go running that I did before with my partner :(

My 1 yo Dobe isn't allowed to go running yet so I'm a bit of a couch potato.

Count me in, might try a run this week by myself although I worry about wild dogs too (but I like having a dog with me for that reason and I carry a stick just in case)

I need to regain my fitness, since my Dobe girl passed away last year I haven't had the drive the go running that I did before with my partner :(

My 1 yo Dobe isn't allowed to go running yet so I'm a bit of a couch potato.

Count me in, might try a run this week by myself although I worry about wild dogs too (but I like having a dog with me for that reason and I carry a stick just in case)

Your in ....good luck :thumbsup: I always think with the rogue dogs & dingos around here, they are more likely to attack if you have a dog with you...they are after the dog, not you. Most of the ones I have run into back off if I stand my ground with a stick...only once have I had to quickly climb a fence post & fortunately that one gave up when its mate ran off.

So far, since Saturday, I have trimmed four minutes off my walk & cut my wine intake by half. Instead of having two glasses of wine, I have one glass of wine & one glass of water, taking alternate sips from each. Oh....and I have lost 1/2 kilo :thumbsup:

Good work Sheena!

I went for a walk with the dogs yesterday (I'm looking after 3 extras) and weeded the garden for a couple of hours. Haven't run yet, I need to get up early and go before it gets too hot. I used to put all my running clothes out in the doorway to my room so I had to walk over it to get up, so I couldn't just "forget" to go- I might have to start that again.

Good work with the wine, alcohol is full of calories, why does it have to taste so nice on a hot day :o

Good luck Sheena. Understand where you are coming from as I have the same probs since moving out of Adelaide.

I have downloaded the start of a running program from the internet and suggest you have a look. Google c25k which means couch potato to 5km. It is a 9 week interval training program. I'm stuck on week one as I find that's enough for the limited time I manage to get out. I also don't always have the time to do the whole lot but use walking the driveway as warm up and cool down so it doesn't matter how far I get.

Best of luck with it and will try to keep watching your progress.

Oooh - count me in too. I'm trying to get fit. I used to run then stopped when my knee started playing up. Then I started again only to get a puppy... Now when I get up he's most active so I feed us all then have to wait for an hour then I end up just not going.

Basically im lazy and any excuse will do :p

I want to get back to running 5ks so far my best effort is 1 :| so much work to do...

Your'e in Rubyblue & good luck :thumbsup:

Erinonthefarm.....how are your plans going???

& HugL are you with us too :)

Had a lovely Christmas Party yesterday & I was very, very, naughty...food was way too nice :o Poor doggies couldn't play their games either cause it rained on us :( Oh, well....I guess this is the start of a new week. ;)

The couch to 5 k running programme looks awesome, very appealing to me to have a programme laid out for me... I'm the sort of person who will go "Okay time to get fit" and go out for a 5k run, just about kill myself and give up for another year... But having a programme made of walking and gradually adding running distance should help!