Question For Groomers

Depends on the quality of coat(strippable),whether your stripping back to skin & whether they have done any work .

If the coat is totally overgrown it won't get done in go they will need a follow up .

Charge i suggest from $80 depending on coat.

If they don't do anything themselves & just plan to come once a year i wouldn't even bother as its alot of work with no reward it isn't that hard for the owner to work on a good coat regulary but it will most likley have alot of under coat that needs to come out hence the not in one session factor

I like hand stripping but i'm not sure i'd touch it either! If they want four quarterly grooming appointments rolled into one, then $300 would be about right :)

Really though, if the job can be tasked without too much stress on the dog, i'd allow 2 hrs for the first go at $60/hr, with back up appointments a must at the same rate. If they won't back up, then i'm not going ahead for them....

Edited by Arcane

Aside from the bitey issues, this dog could be stripped in under 2 hours and finished in breed style/bath - the coat should be practically dropping out if it hasn't been touched for a year.

If the coat isn't strippable, then it can be clipped just explain this to owner before taking dog.

I work at a grooming sallon and often get asked about hand stripping as they know I have show westies. I normally tell

them I don't do it but they would expect to pay up to $100 an hour and the dog would have to come on a regular basis as it can't be done in 5 minutes.

Have offered to teach people and many have come to me at home for lessons which I don't charge for as it is good that

they want to learn. Have recently had a master groomer come to me for 6 months to learn for competition work. She

ended up getting 2nd in the Comp, but what was amazing the winner was clipped (in stripped breed comp :eek:)

I do terriers here at home that owners want stripped. I charge between $70 and $100 depending on the dog. It takes between 2-3 hours depending on the dog again. I also let them have breaks in between to go potty and have a wander as well as they being pets aren't used to it.

I don't do many, but have regulars who come back now for tidy up or complete strip out. Agree with Becks, it's so much faster and easier when the coat has completely blown! It is harder when the coat has been clipped before though.

@Ron, they got first when they clipped????! Wow.

I give cards to groomers salons so if they have a client that defiantly wants coat stripped. As for me and clippers..omg, I am hopeless! Lol give me a pair of finger cots and a stripping knife anyday! Lol

Edited by Missymoo

Yes MM i was so shocked the master groomer was a bit upset, but the strip breed class is not pacific enough the dog has to be a breed that is stripped

but does not say must be stripped in the competition (which they are looking to amend). What was even more amazing was the judge commented on the westie that he was well presented but to much product in his coat and she could not get a comb through it easily. Well firstly it is a harsh terrier coat in top condition with little product in it,I help present it for a dog show the following week and yes it is hard to get a comb through as it is such a HARSH terrier coat :confused:

I do terriers here at home that owners want stripped. I charge between $70 and $100 depending on the dog. It takes between 2-3 hours depending on the dog again. I also let them have breaks in between to go potty and have a wander as well as they being pets aren't used to it.

I don't do many, but have regulars who come back now for tidy up or complete strip out. Agree with Becks, it's so much faster and easier when the coat has completely blown! It is harder when the coat has been clipped before though.

@Ron, they got first when they clipped????! Wow.

I give cards to groomers salons so if they have a client that defiantly wants coat stripped. As for me and clippers..omg, I am hopeless! Lol give me a pair of finger cots and a stripping knife anyday! Lol