Indoor Toileting

Jordan Windebank

Hi all, I am feeling confident that I have almost everything sorted for my puppy before he comes home in January, with the exception of toileting. I will be home for the first 10 days with him and feel confident I can teach him to go outside during the day and night, but my concern is what to do with him when I go back to work?

He will be staying inside during the day, initially in a puppy pen and then gaining access to the rest of the house as he learns proper indoor behaviour. Can anyone suggest what I should be looking at doing for him during the day as a toilet option? Would an indoor puppy toilet with fake grass on it be suitable? Will it confuse him if I want him to go outside during the night and when I'm home and then expect him to use the toilet when I'm at work? How have others handled this?

Thanks,

Jordan.

Will it confuse him if I want him to go outside during the night and when I'm home and then expect him to use the toilet when I'm at work?

IMO. yes...I'm sure someone will be along to help you .. I've never had to have a dog toilet indoors, so can't help :o

Is there no way you can have a pen outside ? Doggy door?

Re: staying at home with him .. make SURE you do not spend every hour with him FROM DAY ONE!

leave him outside or in his pen for some time alone from the minute you get him home ... so ,when you do go back to work, he does not have an enormous vacuum in his life :(

I always think that the first few days should be calm.. boring and with lots of alone time....puppy should not get the idea that the next 14 years will be constant human cuddles, etc ;)

obviously , if he is to toilet outside, leaving him out for short periods is a great idea :) .. also, spend time out there with him.. you just reading/gardening/whatever, so he learns to occupy himself ..and know that , although you are not actually touching him/talking to him , you are there, and he is safe.

I very much believe in Nothing In Life Is Free from the first day :) This sets puppy up to get as much lovin' as he dictates (by doing the 'right' thing) ..and they learn very quickly!!

:)

Thanks Persephone. I am already well prepared for lots of alone time when he first comes home, very clearly understand the benefits we will all enjoy from him being able to occupy himself.

Unfortunately we can't put a doggy door in and I won't feel comfortable leaving him outside at all during the day.

Hopefully someone can help me find a solution. :)

arne't you getting a large breed puppy? Sorry I don't understand the relucance to leave pups outside, pups need to explore, get a bit of sun on their back, think for themselves. I'd make sure the yard was escape proof and teach the pup from day one that it can stay outside on it's own.

I would also leave pup outside, we kept Lili inside for too long in hindsight and she would've much preferred to be outside I think.

As long as your yard is secure I don't see an issue, if not though, all you can really do inside is put down newspaper/puppy pads and hope pup uses them.

Guest donatella

I use puppy wee pads (the absorbent pads that you put on the floor) but only because I live in a unit and I find they are the most hygienic as the blue backing is plastic so catches the wee whereas paper and things were a bit messier.

I move into a Townhouse in a week though with a courtyard and will be doing away with the wee pads and toileting her outside using the bell at the door system where she has to ring the bell everytime she wants to go out to pee, this should be interesting :laugh:

Puppy proof your yard and leave the dog outside during the day, confining a large breed to a puppy pen all day isn't fair on the dog, plus have you considered the amount of wee and poo a dog of that size will produce :eek:

I'm in the same situation although I'm getting a toy breed.

When I home mine will be going outside to toilet but for night time & when I'm at work I've put a doggy door on our laundry door & sectioned off an area oustide for her. I'm making it more like a little courtyard - I've got some trees & flowers in pots & some fake grass (which I'll put puppy pads underneath)so hopefully it will be just as good as the backyard!

I was really stressed out about the whole toilet thing at first but I found that I was more stressed than excited about getting the pup so now I just figure that I'll go with the flow & change things round abit when I get her if I need too. :)

Wow thanks everyone, appreciate all of the advice. I had always planned on leaving him outdoors however I don't have any shelter. I had thought keeping him inside would be an ok option but I guess I was wrong.

I'm going to have a think about this today and see if I can come up with an outdoor solution. My main issue is that I don't have any shelter. Maybe I can leave the back garage door open and set up his water and crate in there during the day. Hmmmm. Thinking.

Wow thanks everyone, appreciate all of the advice. I had always planned on leaving him outdoors however I don't have any shelter. I had thought keeping him inside would be an ok option but I guess I was wrong.

I'm going to have a think about this today and see if I can come up with an outdoor solution. My main issue is that I don't have any shelter. Maybe I can leave the back garage door open and set up his water and crate in there during the day. Hmmmm. Thinking.

no shelter! that's such a basic thing to provide, buy your dog a kennel before he comes home and a couple of trampoline beds to place outside. If you have no shade at all rig up some shade cloth somewhere. Then before next winter build a mini pergola or the like over his kennel.

Thanks everyone. When I said no shelter this was due to me planning on him staying indoors. When I mentioned a puppy pen I had only considered this a short term solution whilst he is a puppy learning not to destroy stuff. LOL.

I have a big backyard but it is completely lacking even the slightest hint of shade. Down the side of the house leads to a door in to the garage which could be secured open and I could leave his crate and water and toys in there? The garage is almost empty and there would definitely be nothing dangerous in there ever. I can look to put up some form of shade outside but it is hard as we live in a rental.

Have definitely realised the silliness of thinking I can keep him inside full time. :)

if the garage is just tin/zincalume it may be a very hot one...

shadecloth/shadesails are not a permanent thing .. ask the landlord ..:)

Which side of the house would you be using- N, S. E, W ?

Oh..and depending on your house - on a string of Summer days - it may be as hot as outdoors ..

You will have a breed designed to live in snow -

clam shell for a water splash pool

shadecloth

sprinklers

another clamshell

would be essentials on your shopping list! :)

Edited by persephone

Thanks! :)

Luckily the house is set so the garage is on the eastern side of the building and is a proper brick/plaster garage like part of the house. I'll suss it out when we get some more warm weather. I have a portable aircon, maybe I can run that in the garage. :laugh:

Am asking the landlords about the shade sail, hopefully the say yes. The backyard main part is predominantly north and west so there will be a fair bit of afternoon sun unfortunately. Going to do a lot more planning over the coming days.

What about a large gazebo, we have them at work UV protected varied sizes, durable material. At least that way your pup would have shelter as well as a kennel, might be better option if the landlord says no to a shade sail..

Yes, these can be bought fairly cheap and are not permanent so wouldn't bother the landlord.