Thinking My Next Dog May Be A Saluki.

redial

This is quite a few years away, probably 4-5 or so, after I get married etc. But I have a special love of Salukis and Sighthounds in general, I love their temps. I know they need secure yards. But I was just wondering if many people breed them in Australia or would I have to import?

Edited by redial

Well i've spent a lot of time with Greys and Whippets, are they similar in temp?

I don't own them so others can answer better. But I have found that the asiatic sighthounds like Salukis tend to be more 'sighthoundy' than the western breeds like greys - a bit more independent than the average whippet. Best ask in the sighthound thread, there are people there with lots of experience with them.

In general they're not like whippets or greys, and they do tend to be more independent and "aloof"...however they definitely CAN be social creatures (mine's lying on my bed next to me as I type) :D

Like others have said before, they are certainly not for everyone so keep on doing your research (as you have been :) ) and when the time is right go and meet as many salukis and reputable breeders in real life as you can (there are many breeders in the Eastern states)....that's the only way you will work out if they will suit your lifestyle, and if you will be able to meet their requirements.

:D

edited to add, definitely ask questions in the Sighthound thread - lots of knowledgeable sighthoundy folk in there :)

Edited by InSha-llah

I've met a number of Salukis and I just love them BUT as others have said they are generally quite different to greyhounds and whippets. I have met a gorgeous red boy called Jasper who can best be described as "like a normal dog" :laugh: and I adore him. The fact that it is the not typical Saluki temperament I love the most has led me to recognise that they are not the breed for me - best to admire them.

Edited by Trisven13

I had a foster grey that seemed aloof and some people she met thought that she didn't have a personality. But that dog grew on me in so many little ways, I was absolutely crushed when she was re-homed. I wonder if Saluki's are similar?

My mum used to own greyhounds and said she had one she called Lady and she said she was so aloof and was more like a presence in the house than an actual dog. She said she bevaed like true royalty.

Thats because greyhounds are royalty :D