A Bit Confused About What To Do With Nelson

redial

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a few! I took in an ex petshop GSD that everyone said was aggressive and out of control... She just had a high prey drive. i worked with her for a good year and rehomed her with a lovely lady in canberra with a cat free household. I wanted to keep her but I didn't need the stress of knowing my cats were constantly lving in fear of the dog watching them through the window. Plus she was super high energy and she does agility with the lady now.

There you go. You are a wonderful person and you obviously have a talent with picking dogs and bringing out their full potential. :thumbsup: If it wasn't for you, this dog may have been PTS. Don't give up on what you do, and that is sticking up for the dog incorrectly diagnosed. Dealing with dogs like these, you are going to have some wins and some losses - but the wins would far outway the losses.

I was talking to a behaviourist about nelson just then and he said the symptoms sound like Rage Syndrome, he said it was genetic. He had to go and told me to google it but do you guys know what it is. I've heard of it but have never come across it.

Update. I think I need to have him PTS he just reached through the fence and bit our nextdoor neighbour badly... He did a similar thing to a young girl a few weeks back, but only a nip, this one was bad. I'm out of options I think. I can';t rehome him and I would never dump him at the pound and can't leave my mum with a dangerous dog.

Sadly I think this is the only solution. He is a huge liability and has now proven to be dangerous. You would never forgive yourself if he seriously attacked a child. Lots of working breeds nip as a warning or in play but a serious bite is another matter all together.

He could have psychological damage from whatever has happened to him in the past or he could have any number of neurological problems including CL if he is around 18m - 2 yrs. You could spend a fortune trying to find out what is going on but you would still not know if you could ever trust him again.

Be brave, release Nelson from his stressful life and move on to your new life with the other 3 dogs you can enjoy.