Rally -o

I am looking at it with intent. Have so far opted to make signs to train by self...its summer and clubs are shutting down anyway. Am hoping that one of the local clubs will take it up at least to run a ring if not to train in it. I dont think i will be able to critique myself well enough to continue by self though, probably the video recorder will get a work out. Im opting for it with Jovi as have had concerns about putting an entire male into group stays (which i hate) so this seems the preferred option for the moment, plus i assume trials will be limited initially so will fit well hopefully with also doing track/search trials which are few in number too.

Im not seeing it as a speed exercise, i want to preserve neatness as a priority with passes over first places as the priority, as i still intend he will go to the obedience ring at some point. Above all i am hoping that being able to speak in the ring will reassure the dog as i know my nerves are a major issue in the obedience ring, so maybe i can use rally to confidence build myself without destroying the dog along the way.

I am also contemplating pulling my retired collie out for it, she knows all she needs but always hated the obedience ring as she knew rewards were off, but just having vocal praise may be ok for her, and i figure the biggest problem initially will be getting myself thinking quick enough about what exercise is coming next and my own footwork and hand positions. She can only ever do the inital level though because she isnt fit enough to jump. She is the one who will probably test my footwork most though as her automatic sit is still strong.

Anyone gearing up to get started in Rally-O?!

What are your thoughts?!

If you are gearing up to do it are you training by yourself or at a club?!

Our club has been training for two years now - with two great seminars from Angelsun :thumbsup: ). We have been running club tests - Rory has his club Novice (and mock trial Novice) and one pass in club Advanced. Some of our people are nearly through their Club Excellent now.

We're all really looking forward to our first official trial in a month - all starting back in Movice. :laugh:

Even my Kirra, who doesn't believe in formal obedience, has had one go (and pass) in mock trial - and gave me her agility run high 10 at the end, spontaneously - so I guess she enjoyed it :laugh: She's entered in the first trial as well.

I think many of us find it useful in that you're concentrating on perfecting one 'bit' at a time - rather than thinking of it as a round as we tend to do in obedience. We're finding that working on the precision for Rally O is translating over to the obedience ring. And the emphasis on dog and handler working as a team, and the specific penalties for tight leads, and helpful too.

It's good to train at club if you have people who know what they're doing, and can spot for you and make suggestions, but once you've been taught how the stations should be performed, you can work on them by yourself. In that situaation, video would be good, I think, so you can go back and check.

How did you make your own signs dog dayz?! was there somewhere that you printed/ laminated them from (as in site etc?!)

Hey, Are you calling in on Sat night to the BBQ? I can make you a set you will just need to laminate them for yourself.

I'm looking at doing it with Bosco, I think it will be good for the both of us. Give Bosco some confidence again!

I copied and enlarged them from somewhere..dont remeber where, there were heaps of sites when i went looking, but you had to make sure which ones you copy...some countries seem to have introduced a whole heap of ones we dont have. Mine ended up a bit fuzzy from the enlarging...so am looking to find another set somewhere. havent laminated them yet...but persuaded someone to buy me a laminator...seemed best option once i worked out the price to get officeworks to do them.

Am currently looking at someway to hold them outside..indoors is easy. Some of the stands are expensive. Am thinking cones probably will be way to go, and clip or velcro them on.

How did you make your own signs dog dayz?! was there somewhere that you printed/ laminated them from (as in site etc?!)

Hey, Are you calling in on Sat night to the BBQ? I can make you a set you will just need to laminate them for yourself.

I'm looking at doing it with Bosco, I think it will be good for the both of us. Give Bosco some confidence again!

Hmmm... I don't think I am because I'm going out for Dad's birthday. But I'm sure you could leave it there and I can pick it up another day.... Actually maybe not - who know what you girls are like after you've had a few :laugh:

Am so bummed I can't make it!!!

But I would love a set!!

Edited by leopuppy04

I copied and enlarged them from somewhere..dont remeber where, there were heaps of sites when i went looking, but you had to make sure which ones you copy...some countries seem to have introduced a whole heap of ones we dont have. Mine ended up a bit fuzzy from the enlarging...so am looking to find another set somewhere. havent laminated them yet...but persuaded someone to buy me a laminator...seemed best option once i worked out the price to get officeworks to do them.

Am currently looking at someway to hold them outside..indoors is easy. Some of the stands are expensive. Am thinking cones probably will be way to go, and clip or velcro them on.

The signs to be used here are at the end of the Rules - which you can download from the ANKC website.

We find clipboards are good - we actually have proper stands, but you coud use tent pegs as supports.

If you pm me your address I will print them and post them. As I said you will just have to laminate them.

Also there is also another day being held at KCC Park this Sunday for anyone who is interested. Starts at 9.30 bit please don't bring your dogs!

I might come on sunday - will you be there?!

• 1 month later...

We have held Rally classes for the last couple of years in Myrtleford NE Vic (near Wangaratta) if anyone is in the area on a Saturday evening you are most welcome to join in.

I use a peg from the local hardware shop that is plastic and has a clip on it. It is used to hold up plastic garden edging

If you have the disc from a seminar that angelsun held and others have copied to use in their seminars you will find a copy of the cards on the disc

Edited by kezzzza

Hi There .... would love to know of people or clubs running rally O training, workshops etc... as having some trouble finding clubs & interested folks to learn Rally O with ...... unfortunately the club I go to won't run any Rally O training currently so looking for others. Thanks & look forward in hearing form other 'Rally-Oers' !!

Won't run, or can't run? (meaning that they don't know anything about it) Where in Vic are you?

Won't run ..... I am in the South-West of Victoria but travel a lot so looking at where I can find workshops, talks, seminars, trials or training in Rally O so I can get educated! We travel through out Vic, NSW & QLD ..mainly East Coast.

Geelong Obedience Dog Club will commence it's Rally Obedience classes this Sunday morning. I look forward to watching handlers enjoy this class.

Thanks Angelsun. Without attending your workshops I would still be trying to work out how to execute some of the exercises.

Thanks also to BDAG and GODC for allowing me to run the Rally classes.