Can I Give Dog Pro-biotics?

ellazpupz

I have been reading through the tagged General health information for dogs thread (which is GREAT), and couldnt seen any info on pro-biotics for dogs

can we give them to our four legged friends...

if so how much? or of not why?

thanks

Edited by ellazpupz

I give my boys Inner Health Plus from time to time - I usually buy a bottle and we all share until they are gone.

The dose they get in one capsule each - otherwise they get yoghurt almost daily. In summer I freeze yoghurt (and sardines) in little dishes and they get yummy frozen yoghurt treats ... :)

I give my boys Inner Health Plus from time to time - I usually buy a bottle and we all share until they are gone.

The dose they get in one capsule each - otherwise they get yoghurt almost daily. In summer I freeze yoghurt (and sardines) in little dishes and they get yummy frozen yoghurt treats ... :)

Tilly is that greek yoghurt? Can you give dogs normal yoghurt like vanilla, strawberry etc

Tilly is that greek yoghurt? Can you give dogs normal yoghurt like vanilla, strawberry etc

The fruit yoghurts usually have a lot of sugar in them so it would be an occassional item rather then regular.

On a weekly basis I usually make a litre of EasiYo natural yoghurt - otherwise any cultured/natural set should be fine. I have often used Pauls Natural and Bornhoffen until I found it was cheaper to make my own. :)

• 1 month later...

Great advice, thanks Tilly. frozen yoghurt is a great idea too, It gets how where we live so I will definitely try that one too

I once asked a rep who did dog specific probiotic if it was any different from the human probiotic and they ummed and ahed and said it was virtually the same.

thats interesting, I hope the dog brands aren't as expensive as our human ones. Our house lives on probiotics, and it can get quite expensive! but saying that we

are benefiting greatly from them.

do you know what is a good dog brand probiotic? please

I once asked a rep who did dog specific probiotic if it was any different from the human probiotic and they ummed and ahed and said it was virtually the same.

My cat had to go on protexin for a stomach upset once. My vet charges $6 per postage stamp sized sachet. :eek:

The next time she got ill I thought of giving her innerhealth plus & wasn't sure how much so only gave about 1/3 capsule. Later found out by reading both ingredient lists that the protexin has a lot more of the good bacteria than innerhealth plus as well as other additives. So I think no harm in giving the innerhealth plus.