Pinched Nerve? Shooting Pain?

cornell

Has anyone had any experience with a dog with a pinched nerve or one that experiences a shooting pain?

My 11 year old is tripping which causes her to stumble.

She also seems to experience a shooting pain especially when she lowers her head to eat or drink.

At other times she is happy as Larry and is able to run and jump on walks. It does not effect her spirit in any significant way.

The vet said that she may have a pinched nerve and that she is experiencing muscle wastage. They do not seem too concerned given her age but her stumbling is breaking my heart.

Surely there is something that we can do??

Yes! Try a good Chiro.

My girl had a pinched nerve from a sacroiliac issue. I noticed every time she jumped on our bed she would then frantically bite at her rear end for about 30 seconds. Normal vets kept telling me it was a skin problem, but I knew it wasn't that. I knew when my hips are out and I get the shooting pain down one glute muscle it lasts for less than a minute.

A few Chiro adjustments and no more sciatic pain :thumbsup:

Edited by Inevitablue

He thought that it was due to age and a non raw diet.

:o if that's the case, there should be very many stumbling sore dogs around .

That comment doesn't sound terribly reassuring. Did he do any manipulations/treatments? tell you where ,or what the injury was?

Visits all depend on the adjustment needed and how much the associated ligaments have worn into their new position. For my dog it was about 4 visits before the joint held its new position for longer than a few days. She was a young dog too, so I suspect an older dog might need more visits.

Muscular nerve entrapment can cause intermittent / acute shooting nerve pain, however so can some intervertebral disc disease and other problems. If it is significant enough to cause muscle wastage then it probably warrants some investigation.

That comment doesn't sound terribly reassuring. Did he do any manipulations/treatments? tell you where ,or what the injury was?

Yes, not terribly reassuring at all to be honest.

There was a manipulation. There was no sign of significant injury.

I was advised to get her on a raw diet to increase the protein, give her omega 3s and see how she was in a couple of weeks. We could start using acupuncture and herbal treatments. I thought that the joint guard covered the omega 3s but apparently it does not:(

The vets don't seem too concerned as she looks happy and healthy for her age and they are not there when it happens but her symptoms are worse after a free leash walk on the beach last weekend - so we won't be doing that again! :( I think we need to let her rest/recover from that walk and assess the situation again.

I have tried to raise her bowls but it does not help.

I should point out that most of the time she is fine but she does tend to stumble once a day and she seems to be experiencing the shooting pains a few times a day. Other than that she is happy to walk up and down stairs, jump on the couch and is very keen to go out for a walk as usual.

Yes more investigation is needed so please keep up any insights that you could offer. I want to try to avoid the uncomfortable and expensive needle in a hay stack testing.

Does anyone know a good vet in Adelaide who might be talented in solving in this kind of problem?

I wonder if Cushings could be involved as she does run hot which increases her drinking and she does have muscle wastage??

Maybe I need to be more patient but I just want her to be back to normal asap.

Thank you for generously taking the time to help us out.

Edited by cornell

The vets don't seem too concerned

Her symptoms are worse after a free leash walk on the beach.

I have tried to raise her bowls but it does not help.

I should point out that most of the time she is fine but she does tend to stumble once a day

She seems to be experiencing the shooting pains a few times a day.

Other than that she is happy to walk up and down stairs, jump on the couch and is very keen to go out for a walk as usual.

Does anyone know a good vet in Adelaide who might be talented in solving in this kind of problem?

.....increases her drinking and she does have muscle wastage??

Maybe I need to be more patient but I just want her to be back to normal asap.

In response to the above, I have dealt with this and I was your needle in the haystack!!! My vet wasnt concerned either :( BUT neither could they tell me what was wrong - and this is NOT NORMAL. They also couldnt provide me with a solution or make a difference to my dog therefore I went searching for another option.

Finding a good animal chiropractor was the biggest problem for me - I tried many, vet chiropractors and self trained - I found a mobile animal chiropractor in Queensland who is amazing, and this is what I learnt from him treating my dog:

1. Most dogs are out of alignment with pinched nerves.

2. They live like this without showing symptoms given they have a high pain threshold and are pack animals therefore reluctant to show weakness

3. With pinched nerves when they move in a particular way it causes the muscles to spasm (ouch) to protect the nerves.

4. To avoid this they change the way they walk..maybe in such a small way that owners do not notice (you know if your dog has been doing this for a long period of time because they will have muscle wastage evident from either not stepping fully forward with their front legs or pushing fully back with their rear legs, to avoid the pain). They may also drink excessive water due to pain.

5. With muscle wastage it doesnt take much for them to go out of alignment badly and do more damage to themselves.

6. More damage can also be done by themselves, which owners need to stop from happening until a good animal chiropractor can keep your dog in alignment for a lengthy period of time and allow that muscle to build back up (which it will when your dog is in alignment and walking normally/exercising for a period of time). For example, if your dog experiences pain when pushing the proper amount back with rear legs, and has shortened their walk to avoid that pain...when the owner says that its "w-a-l-k" time the dogs adrenalin goes through the roof and it allows him/her to push through the pain barrier, the dog will push all the way back with rear legs, muscles spasm and sometimes something has to give causing cruciate ligament issues! It is important to stop off-lead exercise and any running to the front fence to bark at the post man etc.

7. Symptoms may disappear after the dog has rested because inflamation may reduce and muscle spasm will go away..then the cycle starts again until those pinched nerves can be released.

8. RE Animal Chiropractors - the results should be INSTANT. Immediately after a treatment my dog has a big shake and his walk returns to normal straight away.

9. Even when you find a good animal chiropractor it is up the owners to ensure their dog does not ruin the process by going back out of alignment, easily done with dogs that have muscle wastage. You should (even if it doesnt seem to make your dog worse), stop the jumping up and down off furniture as much as possible, limit the use of stairs, put down carpet runners if you have tiles/wooden floors (keep your dogs on non-slip flooring), no using head halties/harnesses, remove collars, bowls at head height, tie doggy doors open, no crazy ball play, stop dogs running the fence line etc etc. Imperative to improvement.

It is certainly a process to go through but once you make the necessary changes in your home environment (because that is where the problems most likely were incurred by your dog), and you get a good animal chiropractor then you should be well on the way to seeing improvement. Best of luck!

Rottifan, can you let me know the name of the mobile chiropractor as my Dobe boy is really in need of help.

He won't travel in a normal car so I have to take him to the vet in a big crate on the back of our truck which is not always available.

A mobile chiropractor would be just wonderful!! :thumbsup:

Rotti fan - THANK YOU for the ray of hope. I am so glad to hear that your dog is so much better :thumbsup:

It is weird that my girl spasms when she hears a loud noise then again it can also happen when she is lying still too.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me learn a bit more about what is going on with her :thanks:

I think that I shall have to take her to yet another vet/ chiropractor for some more pieces to this puzzle.

Do you think that your mobile vet is mobile enough to come to SA?:p (just kidding) -sort of :p :p

Rotti fan - THANK YOU for the ray of hope. I am so glad to hear that your dog is so much better :thumbsup:

It is weird that my girl spasms when she hears a loud noise then again it can also happen when she is lying still too.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me learn a bit more about what is going on with her :thanks:

I think that I shall have to take her to yet another vet/ chiropractor for some more pieces to this puzzle.

Do you think that your mobile vet is mobile enough to come to SA?:p (just kidding) -sort of :p :p

No worries at all - best of luck. Its so frustrating when you're trying to eliminate what is causing the problem - if only they could talk! Oh and SA - maybe a bit far, lol, although he used to travel there every 3 months but hasnt for some time, damn!

For the other person who asked I use Doc Jamieson - mobile chiropractor in Qld, his website is fairly comprehensive and help me decide who to use and I'm so glad I was lucky to find him at the right time, very lucky. My boy is 11 now and was pretty much completely paralysed when he was 7 with no hope/results from anyone else - needless to say..... I'm a huge fan and will be eternally grateful!

By the way Matthew is a star :thumbsup:

It seems that there is not a lot that we can do but Matthew is still going to give it his all :D

... and a prayer or two for my girl would be greatly appreciated too :crossfingers:

Thanks again everyone

and have a very :xmasmerrychristmas: