Public Dog Washes

tlc

Hi guys, just curiosity on my part, mostly I was the dogs at home, I do feel they get cleaner with a home bathing. But every now and then I use the local dog wash, we have a new one which is great. I wondered how many feel that they are not sanitary and the dogs might "catch" something. I didn't really give this too much thought till someone asked me one day what it was like and how did I find it and was I worried about germs?? I just said its great for a quick bath and my lot are all vaccinated and I would hope any germs would be rinsed away with the dirt. :laugh:

It was great today as it was a really warm day here and I just popped all the dogs on the back veranda to dry ( I usually blow dry) so now they are all curly mops and lovely smelling doggies. :D

A quick vid of them in the tub, easy to see who enjoys it the most. :laugh:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you use a public bath to clean yourself in?:D

As a groomer I've washed dogs with manky skin falling off, ringworm, poo etc etc. I know I disinfect it but know lots of places that don't. In fact, whenever I worked for other people they only did a once weekly clean out.

I get grossed out by stuff like that though.

I guess it is a bit like using public showers at caravan parks. I don't use the dog wash all the time but they are good when I'm pressed for time or they are not really dirty but still need a freshen up. I find I do a better job at home of course one at a time. :laugh: very handy to be able to wash all 4 at once though.

I used to use the local one all the time. Ours had a disinfect cycle so I'd run that first and last.

Since making my bath-mate contraption though, I do them all at home now and they get cleaner, because I can take as long as I like.....I'm not constrained by the $1 per minute the public one costs.

I did my 4 today, it took me about 1.5 hours with a short break inbetween (to unbend my back), and I used a variety of shampoos, a lovely smelling conditioner which they all got brushed through their coats, and they look fantastic. And I didn't have to bring them home dripping wet in my car! (cos I refused to pay $1 per minute to dry them).

Gayle, I find the dryers really ordinary, not warm enough at all. I read about your bath contraption it sounds excellent. I use the bath on hands and knees at home and it takes me ages but they do get cleaner and I can use my own shampoo and conditioner. The dog was I used today is $12 for 10 mins.

I use one in Wagga called 'Wet Dreams' lol

I always rinse n scrub with the disinfectant first. I've also spoken too the owner n seen him do it after nearly every wash.

I've used many public showers at showgrounds when competing with horses n would probably prefer the dog wash over them LOL

Kyojin always gets bathed at the hydrobath at World For Pets. I love it. Eventually we'll get our own hydrobath/bath set up, but until then I really like taking him there. If the tub obviously hasn't been washed from the last person I'll disinfect it first, otherwise I don't bother. Can't say I've ever thought of it as being unhygienic.

Love the name, :laugh: we have 2 here in town and sometimes they are gross and full of hair, I asked the guy if there was any way they could have better drainage, they said they just need maintaining a bit more. the one I went to today has only been open a couple of weeks, so it is all shiny and new. Here in town they are true blu. We had a local grooming salon that let you use their hydro but it was $15 per dog, :eek: ok if you only have one. :laugh:

I think one standard Poo would fill the whole tub. :laugh: I'm lucky I can fit all 4 of mine in, I took the boys on their own last time and it was strange as there was so much room!

While we are on the subject of dog bathing does anyone put their dog in the shower with them?

Noooo std poo's in the shower :laugh: ....but cats....yes! they are such sticky beaks!

I have an awesome set up in my second bathroom downstairs. My hubby has cut about 10cm's off each end of a plastic outdoor table & same off the legs. It slots straight into the shower recess & I have a hand held shower thingy. Now I just lift the std poo's straight from the grooming table to the shower table & back again. Its great a back sver.....no leaning over the 5 dogs for hours. Of which 2 & half are in show coat :thumbsup:

BB, not sure if your joking but our car wash here would blow my guys into next week. :laugh:

PM, your set up sounds great, I'm dreaming of having my own hydro bath one day, just need to win tattslotto first, actually the tru blu dog washes are made here in town, I asked the guy how much as I wanted one and he said for a cool 17K we will make you one. :eek: so I keep dreaming. :laugh:

Most people, at some stage in their lives, swim in public pools, use public showers (schools, gyms, caravan and camping parks, hospitals etc) or stay in motels and use their bathrooms and spas. And human debris is more disgusting than dog debris. More contagious too.

The dog wash here is Tru Blu. They are quite good, just expensive to use, especially for double coated breeds. I had it down to a fine art where I could do 2 for $10, as long as I had someone helping me. But that would be a cursory bath, really just a spit and polish.

Today, they got wet, then shampooed with the main shampoo, then scrubbed on their whites with purple horse shampoo, then wetted down some more because the shampoo recycles through their coats til they are clean right to the skin. Then rinsed. Then rinsed again but this time with a nice coconut smelling conditioner which was also recycled right through their coats. Their faces all got a good scrub as did their paws. To do that in a Tru Blu place would cost me around $20+ per dog, just for the time it takes. The bath-mate contraption cost me about as much as giving four dogs a thorough bath at a public dog wash, and I don't have to drive anywhere to use it.

While we are on the subject of dog bathing does anyone put their dog in the shower with them?

Yep, my dogs will come into the shower for a wash (even if you don't want them there).

I try to only do one at a time though.....they're Great Danes and it can get squishy :laugh:

Yep, my dogs will come into the shower for a wash (even if you don't want them there).

I try to only do one at a time though.....they're Great Danes and it can get squishy :laugh:

I can't imagine a GD in the shower, now that would be a sight. :laugh:

I used one once but found the water pressure was pretty crap so really didn't do much at all. I wouldn't use one again.

The water pressure in the tru blu ones is really quite good and there is a range of different settings the nozzle can be on to make the water faster or slower.

Gayle I definatley know what you mean about the time factor, having bigger dogs it would take ages. I find if mine just need a freshen up I can do all 4 in about 12 minutes. At home it takes much longer, Is the purple horse stuff you use called glo white? I use that on my white girl, it's great, I only use it about once a month as I do find it dries her coat out, I have to use extra conditioner when I use it.

I can't imagine a GD in the shower, now that would be a sight. :laugh:

I used one once but found the water pressure was pretty crap so really didn't do much at all. I wouldn't use one again.

The water pressure in the tru blu ones is really quite good and there is a range of different settings the nozzle can be on to make the water faster or slower.

Gayle I definatley know what you mean about the time factor, having bigger dogs it would take ages. I find if mine just need a freshen up I can do all 4 in about 12 minutes. At home it takes much longer, Is the purple horse stuff you use called glo white? I use that on my white girl, it's great, I only use it about once a month as I do find it dries her coat out, I have to use extra conditioner when I use it.

Yes, it's Glo White. I usually only use it on the show dogs to make their whites gleam for a show, and I pour it into a shallow container and dip a nail brush in to scrub them with. But I had some left over from the last show bath and I used it on all of them so I could wash the container out.

Today I used Filthy Animal shampoo on their coloured bits, it smells gorgeous. Specially combined with coconut conditioner.