Omg Expensive Desexing

Atanquin

:confused: Sensitive much? I can't say I read ANY sarcasm in persephone's post :confused:

I agree. I thought persephone's response was agreeing with and supporting you, J835.

Could you please explain why you thought it was sarcastic? That would be of interest to me (and I'm sure to many others reading this thread.)

Sorry, I think was a little upset about a sarcastic remark made in another thread. I think it had more to do with sensitivity at that moment than anything else. I hope I didn't offend Persephone - in her posts she comes across as a nice and very caring person. I guess that's part of the fun of talking to others over the internet - like if it had been a sarcastic comment it wouldn't have been written any differently and I just was in the wrong frame of mind. Life sucks a little bit right now. But all OT. $95 sounds like a good price for desexing for a kitten. Still, my vet is incredibly hot and a much welcomed distraction so maybe the extra $15 was worth it.

Definately worth it if eye candy is involved :-)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious - I had my girl desexed last week she has had 3 natural litter 3,12

& 9 and it was 4 months after her last litter. The surgery went well and it cost $380 - which I thought was a good price for a 36kg Labrador. Does that sound reasonable to others? :)

Just curious - I had my girl desexed last week she has had 3 natural litter 3,12

& 9 and it was 4 months after her last litter. The surgery went well and it cost $380 - which I thought was a good price for a 36kg Labrador. Does that sound reasonable to others? :)

That price range is what i'm expecting with Wilbur when he's 18 months old when we plan to get him desexed. I figure he'll be around that weight then.

Just got a quote for my kitty and it was $95 I was very happy with that as I know they do not cut any corners with pain relief or any other part of the procedure.

Sorry to continue going OT, but when I got my male cat desexed they charged me $60! :eek: I had to pick myself up the floor. I was expecting it to be around the $100 mark. He recovered very quickly too.

Mow (my cat) was done at 6 months for the tiny sum of $40. He woke up and came out for a cuddle. The ear tattoo bothered him more than the incision.

Guest lavendergirl

For those that have gotten cheap desexing prices - does that include IV fluids and pain relief? This is often excluded in the original low price but is available as "extras".

The other thing people dont realise... do they have an experienced nurse whose job is to solely monitor the anaesthetic? Do they have an experienced vet within reach if something does go wrong?

So many people dont realise a nurse can easily kill your animal under anaesthetic if they dont know what they are doing.... ( "Oops.. left the animal on 5% isoflurane for too long.. now the animal is in cardiac/respiratory arrest...")

There are a few dodgy vets out there who will hire the cheapest nurse possible (often young and inexperienced) and "train" them. They may also be answering the phone and serving people at the front desk while "monitoring" the anaesthetic. This scenario would usually only occur in small vet clinics (but could still occur in a large clinic but less likely) , so ask if a vet nurse will be monitoring and WHAT they are monitoring.

Are they only monitoring that the animal is alive by watching it breathe and check the heart rate every 5 minutes?

Or are they monitoring the depth of anaesthetic (by various indicators), heartrate, co2 levels, respiratory rate, oxygen saturation, blood pressure and ecg??

So many people just look at the price and it is next to impossible to compare apples with apples when it comes to desexing/surgical prices.

I'm also not saying cheap vets are all crap, and all expensive vets are good, just saying be aware of what your paying for (or not paying for!):)

For those that have gotten cheap desexing prices - does that include IV fluids and pain relief? This is often excluded in the original low price but is available as "extras".

I have a country vet - largish practice 5 vets in all - been the same vet for 15 years. The proceedure, fluids, nurse, pain relief and the over night stay which includes a vet who stays on premises that night ( its their surgery day so a few dogs or cats are operated on in the day) with regular checks o/n. I think I got a very good deal. :D

Sounds good to me Tapua.

Mine is an experienced vet nurse to monitor the animals at all times, the monitor oxygen and something else via eqipment- can't remember what, as well as normal checks of septh of anaethesia etc and there are 6 vets and ummm around 6+ nurses in the practice

Guest donatella

I paid $230 for Lucy but she weighed 2.8kg and I'm pretty sure that was just the op and a hit of pain relief, no fluids or extras and because of her age she recovered quickly and didnt need fluids anyway

Guest Panzer Attack!

Far out, my dog was 2kg when he got done (he was going to be a show dog but I didn't want to risk cancer so got him snipped at 7 months) and it cost me $600+. I did opt to have fluids etc cos he was tiny when it happened, and as it turned out they searched for the missing one for ages so he was under for a long time. I don't regret it in the slightest, but I would be more than happy to swap bills with you LOL.

E x

They didn't give me any options for extras, $60 was the flat price I was offered. I have no idea whether IV/pain relief was included and didn't think to ask at the time, but he was back to his old self by the end of that evening.

Vet bills vary a lot depending on the value of real estate where they are located and how fancy looking the place is. High rent or mortgage on their premises has to be included in their costs so inner city vets are usually a lot more expensive than those in the outer suburbs or rural areas.

I use some of the best vets in Sydney. They have very up to date equipment but no fancy decor and do not offer "options", they simply do what needs to be done. I know of a lot of breeders that travel an hour, past many other vets to use them.

They have two practices with about 10 vets and offer a 24/7 emergency service to their clients. A very large part of their practice is dog and cat breeders plus they also have wildlife and bird vets. Their prices are about half what the "pet" vets in the inner city charge for the same procedures and much less for vaccinations. Some of the "pet" vets around here are also rather expensive because a lot of pet owners just use the closest vet and don't shop around.

My vets are able to keep their prices down because they are in outer suburbs and they don't need to spend lots of time educating owners about basics because most of their clients are very experienced owners. There is another very good and even cheaper practice a few kms from them but that one does not offer after hours services so most breeders are happy to pay a little more to get the 24 hour service. The vet that founded the cheaper practice worked on the theory that low costs meant people would bring their animals in at the slightest sign of illness so they made more visits and the animals were easier to treat than they would be if the owner waited until the situation was desperate before seeking a vet. He also had a large greyhound clientele. The founding vet and the greyhounds are now gone so I assume the prices have increased a bit but I think they are still probably cheaper than my current vet.