Pet Tranport, Options?

ncarter

Im thinking of taking one of my dogs over to Melbourne with me on my next holiday. I was thinking maybe just try and travel with virgin and arrange it myself. Is there any other airline that allows per travel nowadays? It would be $55 per segment for under 10kg dogs. Am not sure I havent done any dog travelling for a while. Dogtainers have quoted me about $150. Jetpets would be more i presume as they have quoted me 50-60% more than dogtainers on a few occasions and there also seems to be no way of getting a quick online quote airport to airport with jetpets. Is it really worth bothering with pet transport companies if the pet is just travelling from capital city to city? The only other problem i have is i would prefer to just get the skybus into the city, apparently you cant take animals on the skybus, not even in a little pp20 crate.

Edited by ncarter

Im thinking of taking one of my dogs over to Melbourne with me on my next holiday. I was thinking maybe just try and travel with virgin and arrange it myself. Is there any other airline that allows per travel nowadays?

Hi ncarter

Yep

Sure is

We always freight dogs/pups ourselves.

It is much cheaper, and no more touble, to put them through Australian Air Express (AAE).

Px

Your plan to go with Virgin with the dog on the same flight is the cheapest you will get.

You will have to taxi instead of bus at the other end. If you tell them your dog is small & in a carry cage they should be fine about allowing you in a taxi, although some individual taxi driver/owners may prefer not to they should be able to send you one who is ok about it.

I've never had any problems taking my puppy out and about with me in Melbourne.. Granted I've had the puppy in a soft crate bag and he is very polite and quiet but taxi drivers are always very happy and usually want to pat him and know about him. I do ask prior that I'll be bringing my puppy and if that's ok though. He has also been on the train with me and he's just sat quietly in his bag.

I've seen many people with dogs on the train / trams on leashes and they just sit at their owners feet. I know on trains as long as its not peak hour it's ok to bring your dog, trams and busses I'm not too sure though but I've seen it happen :)

Animals travelling with Passenger travelling on Virgin Airlines.

(Note: There is a limit of 2 passenger animals per flight. Additional animals have to travel as freight).

Virgin Australia charges fees based on the combined weight of each container and the pet(s) which will travelling in that container.

Fees are non-refundable, and payable:

Per sector (a formal connection is classed as a single sector)

Per container

On check-in of your pet

Size Weight Fee (AUD) *GST Inclusive

Small Pet 0–10kg $55.00

Medium Pet 11–20kg $75.00

Large Pet 21–30kg $100.00

Extra Large Pet 31kg + (max 65 kg) $100.00 + $4.00 for every kilogram over 30 kg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why don't you ring Virgin freight and ask them??

When Virgin's freight terminal used to be in near the luggage collection at Brisbane Airport, they allowed you to take dog and crate into the terminal. If Melbourne has a similar thing, then they may allow it otherwise it will be the same as other places that only assistance/guide dogs are allowed.

The best is to take the dog straight to freight terminal as you also have to book at least one and a half hours before your flight is due anyway then go onto the terminal yourself.

Qantas also all do animal transport, however they do charge more for animals. I do know some airlines do not do freight of animals through certain airport. (EG. know Canberra for sending a dog via freight I can only use Qantas/AAE Express {who handle their freight section})

thanks for that. I could only get a lift to the airport early so didnt want to have to drop her off over 2 hours before hand. I just went in quickly with her checked my bag in and got out before anyone noticed. Only problem is ive now lost my pet pass