New Years Eve & Fireworks

kiesha09

Happy New Year all. :thumbsup:

Hope there aren't too many stray dogs around. And the ones that are, I hope they stay safe.

I HATED working New Years and the day after Australia Day- The number of dogs that we would process, all sad and miserable was horrid.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can imagine, it would be very sad.

I went outside at about 12.30 to see if there were any strays I could see, and some idiot boy was up the street on a corner, smashing bottles. Hope no scared dogs run over the glass. I would have gone and cleaned it up, but the fireworks are still going on and off, and I can't leave the dogs. Gawd, there are some idiots in this world!

We were out on the street with maybe 30 people watching Melbourne city fireworks . Some of the surrounding houses let off crAckers and a tiny little stumpy tail dog went flying through the crowd , down our steep, long street. It was fanging with it's head tucked in like a pocket rocket.

Poor dog, and the rest of the animals terrified tonight. I hope they find their way home.

Seeing that wrecked my night for sure.

I just got back from my walk and found a liitle puppy that unfortunately didn't make it through the night.

He was on the naturestrip, of all things, with the pile of hard rubbish. I didn't think it was real but my two dogs confirmed he was. No collar.

I didn't come across anyone who was looking for a dog and the street he was in would only have the traffic from the people who live on it.

Very sad, he/she was so little.

I just got back from my walk and found a liitle puppy that unfortunately didn't make it through the night.

He was on the naturestrip, of all things, with the pile of hard rubbish. I didn't think it was real but my two dogs confirmed he was. No collar.

I didn't come across anyone who was looking for a dog and the street he was in would only have the traffic from the people who live on it.

Very sad, he/she was so little.

That is really sad. Poor little dog and the family. :cry: I don't mind the official fireworks so much, once they are finished, it is all over, but the random street ones are the worse. Some fool let some really big ones off near us at about 3.30am.

I stayed home with the dogs last night. Last year was quiet but this year wasn't. Fireworks started about 9.30 and where on/off until 1.00am with fire crackers and pipe bombs. Feels so sad for the terrified dogs and especially the ones that have lost their way now or are injured or dead :cry:

I didn't think to go out last night and see if there were any strays in need of help.

Walking my boys this morning, I came across a lady walking with her kids desperately looking for their red dog that got out over night. It's so hot here today too. The kids were not to happy about being dragged around.

We had an uneventful night Put Den the BC in his run which is an old avery for the evening and brought Ella in and put her in her crate and Xanthe the afghan had her run of the yard which involved her going to her bed under the house and sleeping. We actually ended up going to sydney at evry last min from the central coast, no issues what so ever with the dogs, the neighbours were having a party which had finished by the time we got home at about 3:30.. surprisingly its been very peaceful here for new years which is a shock consiudering most nights we have people dragging up and down the rd.

Happy New Year Everyone lets hope everyone stayed safe :)

The fireworks started about 8.45pm last night and didn't stop till about 3am. It also included some smart people throwing a big one into my back yard at about 1am. It sent the dogs off as the light show throughout the house was incredible. I thought someone had tossed one into my loungeroom it was so bright. The dogs handled it OK. Zsa Zsa curled up under my arm and stayed there, Ozkar took post at the doorway and stayed there barking whenever a new one went off. Astro didn't give a rats and kicked back on the empty bed with me and snored. :rofl:

I don't mind the official fireworks so much, once they are finished, it is all over, but the random street ones are the worse. Some fool let some really big ones off near us at about 3.30am.

I agree, I think the unofficial ones, at least in my area, seem to on the increase and are going a bit far. Surely we can celebrate New Years Eve with less or without them. I'm probably sounding like a nanny state nanny. :laugh:

A friend in Sydney had a Labrador come to his back door last night soon after midnight. He didn't know the dog but it was obviously very distressed. Luckily the dog went to the right house as my friend took him in and comforted him and found the owner this morning.

Edited by LabTested

Well the fireworks started here last night at about 8.45 and went on until about 1am. It was really just a bunch of bogans from different shacks with a 'mines bigger than yours mentality'. So annoying!!

My girl Kiesha officially hates fireworks! I ended up putting on her thundershirt and sitting with her inside on the couch. At the start she barked, paced, trembled, panted and generally just freaked out. Eventually they went on for so long that she sort of got used to them and put herself to bed.

They started again tonight and she barked abit, wasn't very happy but eventually sat with me on the couch & settled.

Overall it was a horribly stressful situation and next year I will either have to find alternative arrangements for the dogs or get some Valium. I can't bear for her to go through that again.

The fireworks woke me up, but the dogs slept right through them. They're used to target practice . . . we're rural and not a no shooting zone and have neighbours who provide a wide variety of booms. I think they like it. One advantage of a well bred gun dog.