Chicken

Didn't wanna hi-jack someone else's thread so thought I'd start my own. I've read some bad stuff about feeding chicken. I would just like to know is it that bad for your dog, if so why?

Recently got some Advance dry puppy food from the vets...only seems to come in chicken, I even asked is there a beef or lamb version...appears not. Then off to the butchers I go to get some pet mince. It's all chicken based! Coupla chicken necks a day as treats. So yeah my dogs eat alot of chicken...don't get me wrong, I do feed other meat but the chicken is most easily accessible and cheap...and what about Roo, does anyone feed that?

I much prefer chicken to roo, and even beef. Roo is too rich for mine, and too little fat - upsets stomachs. If you have an indoor dog it can lead to flatulence of a fairly full-on kind...

Beef in excess I don't like as I've had an allergic dog before. So bones only in beef except for weaning pups who have beef mince.

My only preference to chicken is lamb - and chicken is usually more accessible and affordable. So chicken it is.

Depends on the dog. I have one who just throws up a whole meal of raw chicken but can easily manage a drumstick per day so that's what they all get, plus a lamb based kibble.

They used to get mostly raw chicken plus some raw lamb til Dusty started her hurl-girl career so I switched them to kibble and we're all a lot happier. But I like them to at least have one raw meaty bone per day for their oral health.

My dog's diet consists mainly of chicken frames/wings and roo mince (with the odd duck frame thrown in there). He is fed only raw meat and bones with some vegies. The majority of his diet is made up of chicken and he does fine on it.

I get bags of roo mince from a local pet produce supplier, which is great because it's preservative free. I bag it up into meal-sized portions and he gets them for breakfast. Dinner is the chicken frames with some offal. No problems here :)

I used to feed a lot of chicken but for some reason swapped over to mostly lamb. However Hamish has just got though a bout of pancreatitis that must have been triggered by too much lamb - so we will be going back to mostly chicken and no more lamb for Hamish.

I raw feed my dogs and have always fed bones but will admit to feeding too much lamb, they have it most nights, the others are fine and have not been affected by it but will be making changes to all their diets now.

If anyone tells me that too much chicken is bad I will scream....

Thanks everyone. Well looks like their diet of chicken is ok, long as I mix a bit of other meat every now and then (and vegis n pasta n stuff) Good! I'm just sure I read something bad about too much chicken in diets a while back..musta been dreaming it.

Thanks everyone. Well looks like their diet of chicken is ok, long as I mix a bit of other meat every now and then (and vegis n pasta n stuff) Good! I'm just sure I read something bad about too much chicken in diets a while back..musta been dreaming it.

Might have been my thread about Grumpy. He's just had a hospital stay because I fed him too much chicken over Christmas.

Dogs can become allergic to protein sources. Some dogs do well on chicken.

Our dogs get four chicken frames each a week and we've never had any problems.

The frame is stuffed with a mix of lamb and roo mince to get the weight up to 1kg (they're larger dogs, obviously.) and then put in the freezer for a few hours to harden up the mince and kill some of the bacteria.

The definite downside to feeding chicken is that you really have to be careful with the food handling. If I'm not going to use it within two days of purchase, it has to be frozen.

Also a good idea to check your meat before using it (or buying it, if you can)- the meat should not feel wet or be leaking blood and it should have no "meaty" smell. Chicken that feels slimy or has flesh coloured greyish, yellowish (except for corn-fed chickens) or greenish is probably best discarded rather than risking food poisoning for your dog.

Our dogs get four chicken frames each a week and we've never had any problems.

The frame is stuffed with a mix of lamb and roo mince to get the weight up to 1kg (they're larger dogs, obviously.) and then put in the freezer for a few hours to harden up the mince and kill some of the bacteria.

The definite downside to feeding chicken is that you really have to be careful with the food handling. If I'm not going to use it within two days of purchase, it has to be frozen.

Also a good idea to check your meat before using it (or buying it, if you can)- the meat should not feel wet or be leaking blood and it should have no "meaty" smell. Chicken that feels slimy or has flesh coloured greyish, yellowish (except for corn-fed chickens) or greenish is probably best discarded rather than risking food poisoning for your dog.

Going OT here, but freezing food doesn't kill bacteria. It kills some parasites but it would be very unlikely you'd encounter parasites in meat bought in Australia.