Should Regional Areas Have To Support Erskine Park.?

klink

Should Regional NSW have to financially support Erskine Park. ( at the expense of their own region. ) I personally dont' think we should. Of all regional exibitors probably less than 10% use Erskine Park. for many reasons, distance, cost , venue , Time etc. We are continually contributing our regional dollars for continued spending on a ground which we do not own.

In addition to our monies being spent at no benefit to the regional areas we are still charged fees for this fees for that with absolutely no finanicial benefit to our areas'.

IMO its' about time we tried to alter the status quo and get a fair deal for country NSW. If the above comments apply to the other states the same goes' for them as well.

Should Regional NSW have to financially support Erskine Park. ( at the expense of their own region. ) I personally dont' think we should. Of all regional exibitors probably less than 10% use Erskine Park. for many reasons, distance, cost , venue , Time etc. We are continually contributing our regional dollars for continued spending on a ground which we do not own.

In addition to our monies being spent at no benefit to the regional areas we are still charged fees for this fees for that with absolutely no finanicial benefit to our areas'.

IMO its' about time we tried to alter the status quo and get a fair deal for country NSW. If the above comments apply to the other states the same goes' for them as well.

Should city individuals have to contribute our regional dollars for continued spending on a ground which we do not own :rofl:

Also you have posed a problem. What is your solution- where/how should this money be spent fairly to help ALL regional NSW, from the south to the north so that no area is left out?

I think we do. We are members of a state body so yes fees are part and parcel of the 'joy of belonging'. That said - gee EP could make it easier and more fun to attend shows there!

Bloody no excuse in this day and age to hv such rubbish food on offer. Country shows can hv decent coffee! No wonder people don't want to travel.

I agree with the others- I really can't see an option other than having one major centre, splitting resources to try and create other official grounds would be interesting- how many would we need and it would mean that no one gets very far. I would like to see EP done up more, making it easier to show for both locals and regional exhibitors rather than have funds split.

For background information if i recall correctly if it wasn't for a legacy of the late Bill Spilstead then NSW wouldn't have Erskine Park even as a leasehold!

In Victoria we are fortunate to have two major dog exhibition facilities, both on the fringes of the Metropolitan Zone:

• State Dog Park at Cranbourne (south east of Melb)(owned by the VCA) (purchased by the then KCC in the late 1970s and developed since with the support of the canine fraternity from throughout the state;
  • the Bulla Exhibition Centre (north west of Melb-near Melbourne Airport) leased from the Calabrian Club, (and again developed with the support of the canine fraternity from throughout the State. (Note: Before BEC the VCA had the Showgrounds, Ascot Vale leased from the RASV (including office) which was widely used until rent and maintenance costs made the choice to leave easy.The Showgrounds (VCA) facility closed in 1992 and we had one facility for a number of years until BEC opened).

With the number of events being conducted it was necessary for a second major facility and a suitable site had been sourced for a number of years in the northern region of the metropolitan fringe. The Bulla site became available and options were taken to secure the site.

Regional events are still conducted throughout the state in venues hired for the purpose.

Revenue generated from members and activities throughout the State are used to maintain both facilities and fundraising has been used in the past to build new infrastructure and make improvements.

As members of Dogs Victoria/VCA we are the VCA, whilst the facilties remain in the name of the VCA we can have a say in where the money is spent and do so each year in approving the budget.

Klink speak with your representatives on Dogs NSW and see what alteratives/options are available!!!

I agree that NSW needs to BUY a site, not lease one. For the long term good of the sport if nothing else. When their lease is not renewed they will be out on the streets with no where to go. And all that money we have invested into the grounds will be lost.

Yes,you are members of a state body .

Hi Showdog, thanks' for your comment.

Would you not agree that the controlling body in whatever sport has the responsibility to provide " services " for ALL its' members/affilliates not just those in major cities ?

Should city individuals have to contribute our regional dollars for continued spending on a ground which we do not own :rofl:

Also you have posed a problem. What is your solution- where/how should this money be spent fairly to help ALL regional NSW, from the south to the north so that no area is left out?

Perhaps, the different regional zones that are already in place Metro, Northern etc. could gain the benefit of their own extremely hard efforts in running shows etc simply by keeping monies raised within their area for improvements, ground purchase.

NO. Thanks to this we have had two clubs fold in our area and another four within 330k's are struggling to survive. If these go then our nearest state show is over 700k's away, and more than double that to go to Erskine Park.

I believe that it should be a user pays system. Make those that show there pay for it.As with a toll road. You don't use it you don't pay for it.

After all has any of the clubs in Sydney contributed to the regional clubs? As for a fair deal you would be lucky! The city exhibitors have more members on the board than regional does and so its not a fair and balanced structure. Reality is what those in Sydney wants they get and the regional members can go jump.

The levy on its own didn't kill these clubs but it did have a major role. With other circumstances alone these clubs would have survived but the levy was definitely the final nail in the coffin. As such DOGSNSW will now lose income as with less shows in the area more people are leaving the hobby. In the last 12 months we have gone from 12 NSW shows per year within 350k's to 8 shows and four of those are under threat as well.

Frankly the actions of DOGSNSW over the last few years makes me think they are not interested in promoting pure breed dogs and the related activities but are actually out to destroy these sports.

This is my opinion formed by what I have seen, read and heard over the last few years.

My response is no regional exhibitors should not be required to financially support an unowned facility such as erskine park in full.

A far more equitable distribution of funds would be for DogsNSW to set up a series of trust accounts for each major district. The levy should still apply but the levy for each area should be allocated to the relevant trust account for the appropriate area. DogsNSW could retain say 10-20% of each levy for it management & audit of each of the trusts.

From these trust accounts it would then be up to the management committee for each regional area to apply for release of trust monies for their area to improve the facilities in the regional areas. In this way DogsNSW still control and monitor how the funds are spent (to avoid misappropriation) but regional areas gain the benefit of funds collected from within their own area's.

Each trust fund would be included in the annual audit of DogsNSW and annual reporting to all members of all monies collected and how it has been distributed and spent. Regional areas will need to provide accountability for the released funds expediture.

I know that DogsNSW has distributed funds on an adhoc basis from time to time to regional areas but really is it fair????

We don't pay for toll roads we don't use but those using toll roads do pay. A change to a user pays system is the only fair way.

By doing this we would also continue to encourage more involvement in regional shows and may just revitalise the dog show scene throughout the state. Just knowing that access to improvement funds is available will have a positive effect on the management committees in regional areas and more people will likely enter more dogs in regional shows knowing that they are supporting that region.