Endurance Test 2012

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch my butt from riding today, think i need more practice lol

Best thing you can do....go to your bike shop and buy yourself a pair of padded lycra cycling shorts, or "knicks" as they are called.

Trust me they work!

M

Ouch my butt from riding today, think i need more practice lol

Best thing you can do....go to your bike shop and buy yourself a pair of padded lycra cycling shorts, or "knicks" as they are called.

Trust me they work!

M

Its been many years since i've been on a bike :) wasn't used to sitting in that position day 2 of riding this afternoon when hubby gets home will see how i fair today :D

l love my gel seat l just can't find it and Kmart arn't selling them anymore. l'm certainly doing it tough without it, think l might have to get OH to grab me one in Melbourne.

We started the min pin tonight l think we will do the Canberra ET with him. it's not a course l love but l'm not sure if he will be fit enough for Sale. Anyone else doing it with small dogs ???

Day 2 of training another 6 or so k done today and no pain for me yay.

Question re handlers: Must it be the same handler the whole time or can you swap say one is tired can you have a back up to take over runing or biking the dog? and also if you start of biking must you bike the hwole way or can youswap and run some of it? Thanks

Question re handlers: Must it be the same handler the whole time or can you swap say one is tired can you have a back up to take over runing or biking the dog? and also if you start of biking must you bike the hwole way or can youswap and run some of it? Thanks

Hi, you can swap handlers as many times as you like, however the handler that performs the willingness test prior to the run, must be the same for the willingness test after the run.

M

Hi, you can swap handlers as many times as you like, however the handler that performs the willingness test prior to the run, must be the same for the willingness test after the run.

M

That's handy to know :) Thanks

Can I join this thread? I have never completed an Endurance Test so this thread has been a great read.

I was planning on doing 2 of my dogs this year and 2 next year , one is too young and other is ah attending to other 'duties' for six months. Unfortunately one of the dogs who I was going to ET has just had surgery so I am down to one.

We have been doing about 5 or 6 ks a day, six days a week for the last month but I have just realised we were only going at about 9.5ks so have upped the speed to 11 and dropped a k or so. We will increase the distance again in the next couple of weeks and we need to start on other surfaces because our trail is gravel.

I am really worried about the willingness test, Fergus isn't the brightest spark. If we only had to stand and do a triangle and out and back we wouldn't have a problem. He has a fabulous recall but ask him to sit and he usually rolls onto his back and waves at you!! Could be interesting for the tester :laugh: :laugh:

I am thinking of entering the GSDC test and maybe also entering Sale as well in case we fail the first time because I really have no idea what I am doing!

Others have said that Esky and I could pass, so I'm sure you'll have no trouble Snopaws :thumbsup:

Not sure if we'll be doing it this year. The SA ET coincides with one of the biggest races on our calendar.

Naww thanks Esky, I think it is fear of the unknown! I feel like I am flying blind and have no idea what I am doing :laugh:

You know if you do want to cross the border to do 'it' we always have a Sibe friendly bed available :D

Hi All,

I see some of you are thinking about entering the Sale ET in July,

So I thought I better let you all know that they are not running it this year!

Thanks Melody I was just planning on using Sale in case I failed the first one!! :rofl:

Edited by SnoPaws

Hi All,

I see some of you are thinking about entering the Sale ET in July,

So I thought I better let you all know that they are not running it this year!

Thanks for letting us know. That is a shame. I believe that they only got a couple of entries last year which is disappointing.

M

Can I join this thread? I have never completed an Endurance Test so this thread has been a great read.

I was planning on doing 2 of my dogs this year and 2 next year , one is too young and other is ah attending to other 'duties' for six months. Unfortunately one of the dogs who I was going to ET has just had surgery so I am down to one.

We have been doing about 5 or 6 ks a day, six days a week for the last month but I have just realised we were only going at about 9.5ks so have upped the speed to 11 and dropped a k or so. We will increase the distance again in the next couple of weeks and we need to start on other surfaces because our trail is gravel.

I am really worried about the willingness test, Fergus isn't the brightest spark. If we only had to stand and do a triangle and out and back we wouldn't have a problem. He has a fabulous recall but ask him to sit and he usually rolls onto his back and waves at you!! Could be interesting for the tester :laugh: :laugh:

I am thinking of entering the GSDC test and maybe also entering Sale as well in case we fail the first time because I really have no idea what I am doing!

Yes, you can join. And welcome!!!

Sounds like your training is going well. You have a sensible pattern happening, so am sure you will do well.

Please DO NOT worry about the willingness test. As I said in a previous post, the name was changed from "obedience Test" to "willingness test".

it is no longer an obedience test, just a test to see that the dog is "willing" to follow your direction.

I am one of the judges appointed to judge the GSDCV event in June and I can tell you that as a judge, I am not looking for trial standard obedience. You CAN double command, you CAN use your hands to physically assist the dog. I just want to see that the dog is prepared to work for you and is capable of following basic directions.

If you need any advice, please ask.

M

Sounds like your training is going well. You have a sensible pattern happening, so am sure you will do well.

Please DO NOT worry about the willingness test. As I said in a previous post, the name was changed from "obedience Test" to "willingness test".

it is no longer an obedience test, just a test to see that the dog is "willing" to follow your direction.

I am one of the judges appointed to judge the GSDCV event in June and I can tell you that as a judge, I am not looking for trial standard obedience. You CAN double command, you CAN use your hands to physically assist the dog. I just want to see that the dog is prepared to work for you and is capable of following basic directions.

M

This is good to know cos the girl i am hoping to trial has no idea what sit is without a little presure on the behind lol she will stand for hours but sit lol

We walked 5 k today and did 30 mins swimming as well hubby home tonight so more biking tomorrow. How do people measure distance and speed is there something i shoud purchase to know what we are doing??

I bought a little speedo for my bike from kmart for about $20 which tells us distance and speed.

We are hoping to take two of our Aussies in either the Grafton or Sydney ET this year, as long as our girl doesnt come into season!

M

Thanks M.

Although I don't Samoyed and 'willing' have ever been mentioned in the same sentence. Defiant, stubborn, independent, even wilful :rofl:

We will give it a good go!

This is good to know cos the girl i am hoping to trial has no idea what sit is without a little presure on the behind lol she will stand for hours but sit lol

We walked 5 k today and did 30 mins swimming as well hubby home tonight so more biking tomorrow. How do people measure distance and speed is there something i shoud purchase to know what we are doing??

We have an app on the iphone which was free, it measures distance covered, time taken and average speed but I think I was also get a proper speedo too, bit easier to use on the move.

I bought a little speedo for my bike from kmart for about $20 which tells us distance and speed.

We are hoping to take two of our Aussies in either the Grafton or Sydney ET this year, as long as our girl doesnt come into season!

Good luck!

It is worth spending a few extra $$ and getting a device from your bike shop so that the staff can fit it and make sure it is properly calibrated.

M

l got mine from Aldi last year for $7.99 and it's done two lots of training and two ET's plus spent all summer sitting out in the rain and is working just fine for this years ET. Aldi have them on special from today again.

l think we will have to do the min pin at the GSDCV ET, l was looking at doing Sale with him to give me alittle more time to condition him. :(