Toilet Trained Pup Urinating Inside When Left Alone

lushos

Hi there

I was wondering if anone has an answer for my question...

I have a 13 week old pup that is 100% toilet trained after 3 weeks of training pup to go through doggie door out into the yard in a penned off area so that puppy doesnt have acces to the entire yard at this stage.

My plan is to make larger access as pup gets a little older - but for now, has an area of 2 metres length by a metre in width.

On the indoor side of things, she has access to the kitchen/dining area only with the rest of the house baby gated to protect carpet when we are not home... even when she first came home, accidents always 100% happened on the tiles (Luckily!!) but I didnt want to risk it.. so she has access to tiles only..

She has a dog bed, toys & feeding release toys (puppy pink kong, activity ball to put treats in and push to release the kibble & others)

today, I put some kong biscuits in the kong and peanut butter just around the bottom of the kong..

Puppy has been going in and out the doggie door for an entire day yesterday both supervised and also unsupervised with no accidents at all - she happily goes out the door, does her business and comes back in.

The issue arose today - when I began doing training with her to be alone when I return to work next week...

I walked into the garage as if I was going to leave - came back in in 30 seconds - to be greeted with a puddle at the other side of the door...

I cleaned it no fuss made with urine off and went about my day inside... she trotted outside at around lunch did her toilet (urinated) and trotted back in...

I played with her for a while, let her get sleepy, then attempted to go out the door again when she was dozing....

again after 1 minute... a puddle at the door when I came in... this was 4 hours after the first attempt I made to leave and stand outside to monitor her to see what would happen...

there was no whining or barking in the short period - just the puddles!!

any ideas why? or how to fix this?

Do I just keep trying to leave the house for short bursts and the "puddles" will stop once she gets that I will come back ? anyone had this issue before?

thank you :)

your pup is not 100% toilet trained. You need to be more pro active in taking her out. One day of going in and out a doggy door is not enough to guarantee no accidents.

ETA I am confused has the pup been using the doggy door for 3 weeks or one day, you mention both timeframes in your post.

Edited by Rebanne

Apparently no puppy is 100% toilet trained until they've gone 4 weeks without a mistake or a helping hand from you.

13 weeks is still very young, and coming into being an adolescent so you'll find that puppy may become a little more stubborn over the next few weeks and you'll just need to be patient and continue with your training :) Puppies don't understand how to do things after just one day, or even one week.

You'll get there.. Just remember puppy is still a baby!

using a dog door for one day unassisted does not make a 100 % housetrained dog by any means ;)

She is still a baby .. and , like baby humans, will take one step forwards, two back, at times.

The peeing when you leave may well be an association with

"Oh mum & I go outside ..the door sounds like ***, I now have to pee"

The sounds/sights are the same , so her system gets ready to pee ..just she is still inside!

There is always the possibility of an infection as well. when she just can not 'hang on' ...

It can also be an anxious/excitable moment as she sees you leave ..and she just has to pee.

re: whining/barking has she done this previously and have you immediately let her out?

I don't have a solution, but I am not game to leave our 17 week old CKCS puppy alone in the house. He's had about 3 accidents in the last 2 weeks so not bad - I think it's mainly when he gets excited, much like a small child who gets carried away with what they're doing and only at the last minute do they realise they are busting.

If we go out or are going to bed he gets put into his crate (which at this stage is a plastic pet carrier). He's never messed in his crate. One weekend we were out all day and we placed his crate in the laundry with toys, food, water and a make-shift potty area (a litter tray with fake grass in it), but he held on all day - 8hrs - not that we expected him to, but he did. I was really shocked at this, as I'm sure if he was left to roam the house (he also is in the kitchen/dining/family area) he would have messed somewhere.

I'm not suggesting that the answer is to crate all day while at work, but maybe you could establish a smaller area inside so that she is encouraged not to mess her area where she sleeps/eats and is more likely to go outside.

Other than that, maybe you could set up a video camera to see at what point she is weeing - when you leave or when she hears you coming back. Cooper did a few "excited to see you" wees in the first days/weeks we had him but the less fuss we make the better he seems to be.

Also, you only said you left her for 30 seconds and 1 minute... does that mean she has never left your side? Sounds like separation anxiety if that's the case.

thanks everyone..

When I mentioned that I thought that she was 100% toilet trained - I actually meant that she learnt the door in one day, and has been 100%reliable - NO ACCIDENTS for a week when I am home...

She trots in and out the doggie door at every time she needs to go and has been 100% in doing this...

I just could not understand why she was not going to the dog door when I wasnt there and soiling in the house... Why is she 100% when I am home??

Anyway, I have thought about it and the solution I have come up with is:

Doggie door when I am home - & when I go to work, in her pen that she begain crate training in 3 weeks ago.

I will set the pen up with crate, chew toys water, training pads down one end etc etc.... until she is used to me coming and going and she gets older

*crosses fingers*

:(

NO ACCIDENTS for a week when I am home...

Easy.

She has learned to use dog door/pee outside when you are home .. and that's it. She has not then transferred in her baby brain that dog door/pee can still happen when you are not there ...

So that is why I will pen her whilst I am not there - to avoid the soiling issue when I am not there... she can use the pads and when I am home, she can use the door.

I have no magical solution for her making the connection to use the doggie door when I am not there, which would be nice, and that is why I asked the question on this forum - to seek assistance as someone may be able to share experience with me.

I am not here to be put down. I am here to seek assistance.

I think you have come up with a good solution.

Obviously try her in there for short periods initially (sounds like you already have started this)

critical thing will be setting up a source of water that is safe (can't be tipped out, not so deep she could drown in it) and also making sure the pen is secure and in the shade.

If you want her to poo and pee on a certain surface, include some of that in the pen (eg grass or whatever you think is appropriate for your situation).

I think if you don't want her peeing in the house, don't leave her unsupervised access to the house. It will take her a little while, so your strategy of an outside pen is a good one and should help her to be successful.

NO ACCIDENTS for a week when I am home...

Easy.

She has learned to use dog door/pee outside when you are home .. and that's it. She has not then transferred in her baby brain that dog door/pee can still happen when you are not there ...

So that is why I will pen her whilst I am not there - to avoid the soiling issue when I am not there... she can use the pads and when I am home, she can use the door.

I have no magical solution for her making the connection to use the doggie door when I am not there, which would be nice, and that is why I asked the question on this forum - to seek assistance as someone may be able to share experience with me.

I am not here to be put down. I am here to seek assistance.

you weren't being put down. Persephone was right. it's like when you teach a dog to sit, if you only happen to do it in the kitchen next to the sink, then when you change the picture, ie ask for a sit in the loungeroom, the dog looks at you with a what expression. The dog has not learned that sit means sit wherever it is, you have to train it. Same as your puppy has not generalised that it can go through the doggy door while you are not in the house. Maybe prop open/tie up the door when you go outside for a few days to make it more inviting for pup to go out.

you weren't being put down. Persephone was right. it's like when you teach a dog to sit, if you only happen to do it in the kitchen next to the sink, then when you change the picture, ie ask for a sit in the loungeroom, the dog looks at you with a what expression. The dog has not learned that sit means sit wherever it is, you have to train it. Same as your puppy has not generalised that it can go through the doggy door while you are not in the house. Maybe prop open/tie up the door when you go outside for a few days to make it more inviting for pup to go out.

Thank you - and sorry for snapping @ Persephone... It was a horrible day yesterday and I wasnt seeing straight - was tired and emotional when I responded..

Thank you for your great advice - I will try that method of lifting the flap up for pup to go through :D

.. :) It's hard, isn't it ? So glad I don't have pups inside anymore.... too much thinking involved :p

also , if you use an inside pen - by allowing pup to pee inside when you are away, you are again,unconsciously, teaching her that it's an OK thing to do :o

An outside pen is a great idea :)

This housetraining thing is , thankfully not a very long process ;) You may be slightly befuddled at the end of it though! .

.. :) It's hard, isn't it ? So glad I don't have pups inside anymore.... too much thinking involved :p

also , if you use an inside pen - by allowing pup to pee inside when you are away, you are again,unconsciously, teaching her that it's an OK thing to do :o

An outside pen is a great idea :)

This housetraining thing is , thankfully not a very long process ;) You may be slightly befuddled at the end of it though! .

It sure is frustrating!!! I sat on the floor for half hour yesterday - urine off in one hand - paper towel in the other sobbing!!!

It is my fault though, not pups - I just jumped the gun and assumed that because she had been accident free for over a week whilst I was home and she was going through the door that she should just be OK to go when I wasnt there.... a rookie mistake!! LOL

I am glad today though that I have put my reality face on and trying to get a solution..

it is much easier to think when relaxed and with others help - that is for sure!!

Thanks so much for understanding persephone :)

Looking back on it all now, I probably should have kept her in the pen inside and stuck to the hour on the hour outside trips and after meals etc for longer before introducing the doggie door.

I should have also gone out whilst she was penned inside more too...

It is kind of like I have gone the wrong way about things... I should have been going out and leaving her penned for short timeframes right from the start....

So I guess the only way to fix the problem is to pen her inside and begin again with toileting as well as the separation thing - going out for short times and showing her whilst she is confined that Its OK - I will come back and I am not just leaving her to fend for herself.

She hasnt had that feeling of me not being there so how is she to know right?

1st time puppy owner!! can you tell? :D

using a dog door for one day unassisted does not make a 100 % housetrained dog by any means ;)

She is still a baby .. and , like baby humans, will take one step forwards, two back, at times.

The peeing when you leave may well be an association with

"Oh mum & I go outside ..the door sounds like ***, I now have to pee"

The sounds/sights are the same , so her system gets ready to pee ..just she is still inside!

There is always the possibility of an infection as well. when she just can not 'hang on' ...

It can also be an anxious/excitable moment as she sees you leave ..and she just has to pee.

re: whining/barking has she done this previously and have you immediately let her out?

All this is true and there is also the possibility she is peeing when she hears you coming back in...Mum's coming Yah!!! Oh, I was so excited I peed myself! :o

I SOOOOOO feel your pain right now. My boy arty is 12 weeks, nearly 13. If the back door is open he will always go out to poop. Every time. If the back door is closed well, that there is my fault. However, regardless of the door being open or closed he will pee wherever he is, and I haven't gotten angry with him, that will just make the situation so much worse. But it is so frustrating. I don't know what to do. I think taking him out every hour or so when I am home and treating him if he goes to the toilet is a great idea and one I need to put into play except that my boy has practically no drive for food.

I'm stressed out enough at the moment with life, I feel like I am losing my grip on this boys training but I also feel like maybe I am doing to much. I don't know. Bad day maybe, but I do feel your pain!

I think taking him out every hour or so when I am home and treating him if he goes to the toilet is a great idea and one I need to put into play except that my boy has practically no drive for food.

I have toilet trained many pups..and never used food .

Does he have a favourite game?

favourite toy?

does he like hugs & cuddles?

One reason I like Nothing In Life Is Free .. is that physical/vocal praise gains in value when it is given effusively after pup/dog has shown a desired/acceptable behaviour ..and not 'just because' :) VERY useful for non food driven dogs .. or occasions when you have no food/toy /tug .

He likes play and tug too :) mostly he likes to tug on my hands, but lacking those his raccoon toy. Which he LOVES. I think he might even love it more than me, except he gives it to me when I ask for it, so surely that means I am more important? :laugh:

I SOOOOOO feel your pain right now. My boy arty is 12 weeks, nearly 13. If the back door is open he will always go out to poop. Every time. If the back door is closed well, that there is my fault. However, regardless of the door being open or closed he will pee wherever he is, and I haven't gotten angry with him, that will just make the situation so much worse. But it is so frustrating. I don't know what to do. I think taking him out every hour or so when I am home and treating him if he goes to the toilet is a great idea and one I need to put into play except that my boy has practically no drive for food.

I'm stressed out enough at the moment with life, I feel like I am losing my grip on this boys training but I also feel like maybe I am doing to much. I don't know. Bad day maybe, but I do feel your pain!

Oh dear lord do I hear you!!

My girl is 13 weeks and it is so difficult... I have had a shocking week trying to get this whole leaving the house and coming home to soiled house/torn up puppy pad in pen...

The weird thing is - I now have the set up of penned in puppy both inside and outside the door - to keep the space small (for now) and expand the pen inside when she stops having these "Oh.... Mum is leaving...... how am I going to cope with this.....*pee* "

Over the past few days of my coming in and out whilst she is penned - I have put it down to me leaving that is causing the wee, as I have stood quietly outside the door and I can hear her panting, crying and jumping at the pen (which is secured ;) ) and she settles after about 3 minutes.

The reason I have put it down to this is she also is toileting outside where she should be - It must happen when she is doing the initial "ohhhhhhhhh........... shes leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaving me!!!!"

:eek:

Now the question that I have is, will the crying, whining peeing stop itself?

Or am I best to get help of a trainer in a housecall?

Is it natural for her to be that anxious - with the crying, panting, whining?

Will it pass as days go by?

Am I damaging her - or training her incorrectly by leaving her whining?

I have only been leaving her alone for a maximum timeframe of an hour and a but at this stage...

I know I am probably TOTALLY overthinking this - but as a 1st time puppy owner - I have read everything and still seem to be clueless!!

the last thing I want to do is stress my puppy - I would LOVE IT if she would settle with her kong stuffed with treats and be done with it..

I have been stuffing kongs and sprinkling cooked chicken in the inside pen - but I come back and most of the food is still there.... :banghead: