Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

His heel work was awesome and we got huge praise for our recall - the assessor said that it was nice to see an animated dog here today. Zig doesn't do the robot heel, sit, stay, recall - he prances beside me, he sits and stays with his ears and eyes forward (waiting for the next command) and his recall was a total launch towards me, run at full pace and slam on the brakes just in time to stop within just millimetres from my feet.. I love it.. I love that he loves doing it..

Beautiful! Just beautiful!

Well done guys :) And as you say, I'm sure you'll nail the stay next time :thumbsup:

I wonder if reactive dogs are qualitatively different. BAT seems to wind Jake up, both within a session and over sessions. We worked with an on-leash dog last week and he's better if he stays focused on the dog. You can calm him looking at the dog but if you try turn him he gets upset. He will turn himself and run away but then he's quite stressed.

It's interesting isn't it? In the book Grisha says something about some dogs needing more information, and if you turn them before they are ready it is aversive for them. Do you think that might be Jake? Or is something else going on entirely for him?

But anyway, it doesn't really matter as it seems as though what you're doing know is what's working, so I'd be sticking with that anyway!

It's hard to know how much his eye problems influence his reactivity, whether he can control which eye he sees out of and how he interprets what he sees. Last week my trainer was mentoring a new trainer and I heard her say that whilst obedience training doesn't normally work for aggression Jake is the exception. I guess he's just an exceptional dog!

We had neighbors that I've met walking around last night and it was nice to hear them say that seeing Jake at home they now understand why I haven't PTS. He is such a great dog around kids, he sits watching them for food but doesn't beg or get pushy. He will do all his tricks and he's solid enough to not get underfoot with them. He has a nice way of being around them and being happy to be patted but not running around or being a nuisance.

nawww he's such a good boy, and such a character! Just because he's reactrive doesn't mean he doesn't have loads of positive attributes as well :) But I guess other people don't always get to see those other attributes.

Del's the same too, she just makes me so happy, not just me, but everyone in the family, she makes you feel sooooo loved :)

It's hard to know how much his eye problems influence his reactivity, whether he can control which eye he sees out of and how he interprets what he sees. Last week my trainer was mentoring a new trainer and I heard her say that whilst obedience training doesn't normally work for aggression Jake is the exception. I guess he's just an exceptional dog!

We had neighbors that I've met walking around last night and it was nice to hear them say that seeing Jake at home they now understand why I haven't PTS. He is such a great dog around kids, he sits watching them for food but doesn't beg or get pushy. He will do all his tricks and he's solid enough to not get underfoot with them. He has a nice way of being around them and being happy to be patted but not running around or being a nuisance.

I think the thing with obedience training is you are teaching them to focus on something else, to do something else instead of reacting the way they would if they didn't have the training..

It is effectively redirecting an unwanted behaviour to do something that is wanted..

At one point, I never thought I could have Zig off lead with a heap of other dogs around and have effective control over him (he was so dog focused and wanted to play more than anything else). Now when we go to the dog park, he wants to play with me..

At obedience training, when working off lead, if he breaks a stay - he walks to me and not to the other dogs..

In our assessment last weekend he broke a stay, trotted to me, walked behind me and came around an sat at heel.. Looking at all the other dogs in the stay and made no attempt at all to go to any of them..

His recall now is a huge charge at me as fast as he can.. He really launch's himself towards me when I call him to come.. I love it. We get loads of comments about his 'enthusiasm'..

It is all about the focus - if you give them something better (more important/exciting) to them than the other dogs, then they don't even notice them anymore..

I'm feeling a bit chuffed right now!! :D

So today i took Koda on his first proper walk in two years. I chose a quiet time of day so that there wouldn't be too many exciting things around. When i first got him out of the car he was very excited about being in a new place with so many new smells but i did feel like i had him under control. We started walking and straight away a Jack Russel came running down someone's driveway barking like crazy. Koda got reasonably excited but i corrected him a couple of times and he calmed down and we moved on. Because he was so excited about being in a new place he was pulling on the leash like crazy, but after about 10 minutes the initial excitement wore off and he was happily walking by my side. After we had been walking for around 20 minutes, we were walking past some houses and there was a very calm looking German Short Haired Pointer lingering around under a tree. Koda saw the dog before i did, but to my surprise he was exceptionally calm considering what i've seen him be like around dogs in the past. As soon as i saw him react slightly to the dog i corrected him quickly and he stopped looking at the dog calmed down and happily walked loose leash right past this dog!! I couldn't believe my eyes!! Also right as i was nearly at the car, a dog started barking in someone's back yard, this made Koda react but again, a couple of corrections and he was completely calm, submissive!! I am so happy right now, I feel so much more confident that i will be able to achieve my goals with him! :)

That is good news, once you're confident that also transmits to the norty dog I think. How old is he ? I was once told that three was the magical age at which dogs grew a brain? Don't forget lots of treats for good behavior.

Edited by hankdog

That is good news, once you're confident that also transmits to the norty dog I think. How old is he ? I was once told that three was the magical age at which dogs grew a brain? Don't forget lots of treats for good behavior.

Oh yes, Koda gets heaps of treats while he is being good :) Koda is about 3 and a half, i was also told that 3 is the magical age. I do think Koda has matured and calmed down a lot lately but he still has issues.

Took Phoenix to my son's sport practise session today, took him for a big 4.5k walk then sat down with him afterwards watching my son. We'd encountered other dogs on leads on the walk and he was really good then a woman and her off lead dog came nearby. Phoenix was on the lead and got very excited before I could really do anything. The off lead dog kept running up to us and past us wanting to play and Phoenix of course didn't know what to do and was beside himself jumping around. He didn't really bark and growl, just jump as if he wanted to play but there was no way I was letting him off the lead. I told the woman to get her dog under control and she answered back 'I'm trying' as she walked away trying to get her dog's attention. Deep breath.

I guess I need to be more prepared for these unexpected situations so if anyone's got any tips I'd like to hear them. Thanks.

It's hard to know without seeing your dog just at what level of reactive he is. For myself I believe that as the owner of a reactive dog it's my job to keep both him and others safe. I would always be assessing a situation and avoid taking risks. There is the obvious risk of a bite to another dog or person should there be a fight that needs separating. There is also the risk of an incident being reported and your dog being subjected to a temperament test with all the drama that comes with that.

For my boy I would avoid a crowd of this type, not only because of off leash dogs being present but there's also the likelihood of dogs being attached to young children. Even if nothing happens someone could take it upon themselves to report my dog as menacing etc.

In this situation I would have used my emergency u turn to get distance and once at a suitable distance I would have parked him and done some LAT so that we ended the incident well. Throwing in some explanation to onlookers and making sure they saw me leave calm and under control so the lasting impression is of a difficult dog being managed rather than an aggressive dog out of control would be a good way to end as well. I'm mindful of getting as much goodwill for my dog as possible.

Yes hankdog, saved me typing once again. Totally agree with you. I don't do crowed places with Stella. She just doesn't cope. It is all a bit 'much'. She usually has a complete meltdown & ends up an anxious mess. I am always assessing our surroundings when we are out anywhere. Scanning with my eye's whats approaching us etc. I also would have used the emergency "U" turn as we do that too & high tailed it out of there in that situation.

Just a small brag regarding my girl today. We were ambushed today on 3 separate by dogs we didn't know as we were playing retrieve at the beach. Previously in this situation Stella would charge at the approaching loose dog, growling, showing teeth & hackels up, all meaning 'business'. But have been working really hard over the past few months on this unwanted behavior. I give the 'Leave it" command, then I just redirect her attention with the ball or whatever I have in my hands at the time. And it seems to be paying off as today on all 3 occasions she went to charge, I told her to Leave it & she did with no charging or aggression shown.... YA !!!

I'm wrapped. She seems to just look up at me now when things like this occur for direction which is exactly what I want her to do. Where as previously she would just aggressively blot off in an instant. One very proud mum today :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Yes hankdog, saved me typing once again. Totally agree with you. I don't do crowed places with Stella. She just doesn't cope. It is all a bit 'much'. She usually has a complete meltdown & ends up an anxious mess. I am always assessing our surroundings when we are out anywhere. Scanning with my eye's whats approaching us etc. I also would have used the emergency "U" turn as we do that too & high tailed it out of there in that situation.

Thanks for the suggestions. I unfortunately couldn't really get away. It was an unfortunate situation where this dog was so quick that we were a bit cornered and I froze a bit. Up until that point he'd been doing really well watching this same dog on the other side of the fence. There is a hole in the fence that the dog could get through, and the owner hopped over the fence. I will be more armed if there's a next time and just assume that an off lead dog will approach and get the hell out.

Just a small brag regarding my girl today. We were ambushed today on 3 separate by dogs we didn't know as we were playing retrieve at the beach. Previously in this situation Stella would charge at the approaching loose dog, growling, showing teeth & hackels up, all meaning 'business'. But have been working really hard over the past few months on this unwanted behavior. I give the 'Leave it" command, then I just redirect her attention with the ball or whatever I have in my hands at the time. And it seems to be paying off as today on all 3 occasions she went to charge, I told her to Leave it & she did with no charging or aggression shown.... YA !!!

I'm wrapped. She seems to just look up at me now when things like this occur for direction which is exactly what I want her to do. Where as previously she would just aggressively blot off in an instant. One very proud mum today :)

That's great. Onya Stella!

Yep Jenseeya, I used to freeze too. I even had to practice stepping in front and yelling no to pretend dogs at home. It's now just second nature to constantly scan, interrupt conversations mid-sentence to dive behind a bush for cover and just always assume other dog owners have no clue. They don't, they have normal dogs and I did once too.

We had a wild training session last week with a newly qualified trainer and mid way through she said "you don't take him for walks, do you?" Yep, everyday. It's character building but some days I feel like I have enough character.

Thanks guys :D Well my girl has really surprised me as yet again today she was fantastic with approaching dogs :thumbsup:

Maybe it is the whole just turning 3 thing some folks talk about. Whatever it is I am thrilled :cheer:

I actually got a bit overwhelmed with pride this morning & shed a few tears when I got home.

Silly I know but when I see how just how smart Miss Stella is & she always tries so hard to please me. I have given her everything I have. Just a lovely warm moment.

Edited by BC Crazy

Thanks guys :D Well my girl has really surprised me as yet again today she was fantastic with approaching dogs :thumbsup:

Maybe it is the whole just turning 3 thing some folks talk about. Whatever it is I am thrilled :cheer:

I actually got a bit overwhelmed with pride this morning & shed a few tears when I got home.

Silly I know but when I see how just how smart Miss Stella is & she always tries so hard to please me. I have given her everything I have. Just a lovely warm moment.

That is awesome BCC, I totally understand the tears of joy, not silly at all :D

I'm looking forward to this magical age. Only a year and a bit to go :D