Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

Sorry to hear about your boy getting attacked Canetoad :( Hope he recovers OK from his traumatic ordeal.

It peeves me off no end when owners aren't responsible with their dogs. PUT THE DOG ON A LEAD !!!!! ERRRRR

Terri S wonderful news regarding Didi. Well done :thumbsup: It's such a great feeling when some of your hard work pays off isn't it? :)

Simply thanks for your kind words & understanding regarding owning a reactive dog :D

Stella has settled down of late which is wonderful. She is sleeping through the night as well. I have been putting her on a leash as soon as I sight another dog or if one suddenly appears. I just don't trust her not to charge at them. She may or she may not. She sometimes completely ignores them BUT because she is unpredictable I will not give her the opportunity anymore. This is not what I would call a solution but it seems to work best. I ask her to 'leave it' & when she gives me attention & not the other dog, she is rewarded with treats. Sometimes if they come too close to us she will flip totally out, growling etc. So just stand still, not saying anything till she settles & she gets nothing. I don't try & verbally reprimand her while she is that heightened state of arousal as IMHO it is pointless. Interested to hear what others think though.

I'm just pleased that she will see another dog in the last few days & run straight to me, without me calling her.Like she's connecting the too. Incomming dog, gotta get my leash on. She is extremely bright so nothing surprises me with her. I'm so proud of her. I find I'm a lot calmer so that would have to help her as well.

Terri, I was just reading something that mentioned that dogs that eat houses can sometimes end up getting lead poisoning and that this can have behavioural consequences for them. It just made me think of Didi because I remember you saying that she was eating some of the wall at your place. So anyway, I just thought I'd mention it just in case. And I thought I'd mention it here just in case anyone else reading thought it worth investigating for their dog.

I don't know exactly how accurate this website is, but it has a page on it:

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_dg_lead_poisoning

Terri, I was just reading something that mentioned that dogs that eat houses can sometimes end up getting lead poisoning and that this can have behavioural consequences for them. It just made me think of Didi because I remember you saying that she was eating some of the wall at your place. So anyway, I just thought I'd mention it just in case. And I thought I'd mention it here just in case anyone else reading thought it worth investigating for their dog.

I'm glad when you hear of dogs eating houses you think of us haha! While her initial weirdo behaviour did councide with the first time she ate a fair chunk out of the house she never got any of the symptons of lead poisoning so I don't think she was affected by it. We've barricaded the walls off from her so hopefully no more house eating!

I'm glad when you hear of dogs eating houses you think of us haha! While her initial weirdo behaviour did councide with the first time she ate a fair chunk out of the house she never got any of the symptons of lead poisoning so I don't think she was affected by it. We've barricaded the walls off from her so hopefully no more house eating!

Haha, yes i immediately thought of Didi :laugh: it's just one of her claims to fame :D

That's good to know she hasn't got any of the other symptoms :) I just thought it would be a shame if I didn't mention it, and it turned out to be the problem!

BC when you say she flips out what does she do. Is she lunging and moving around? For Jake I lift his front feet off the ground, the movement is not staight up, as he lunges I sort of go with and then just hold him up there. He will struggle for a bit, as soon as he stops he gets lowered. Despite his wonky eyes he likes eye contact, while he's up there I'll be standing so I can see his face, it seems as long as I can keep that eye contact I can sort of keep him still. I guess it's just easier to read him but if Stella's lunging around it can be something to try. Initially he would go on for a bit, as soon as I lowered him he'd be right back, he has learned though and although we have gone back to having to do this he stops quickly and doesn't start up after the initial lunge. Not pleasant but physically stopping him shortens the tantrum.

I think if you just keep rewarding the run back to you it can become like a reflex. As soon as Jake sees the neighbour dogs he comes to find me for treats. I've never tapered the reward schedule for this, it's on a hundred percent reward but I make him sit quietly for ten seconds and do at least two quiet looks at them before he gets a treat. He has worked this out and so the sooner he sits the sooner he gets a reward. A while ago we put him on a reward for second quiet look and it's definitely worked. He's not really responsive to tapering of rewards kind of dog, he gives up very quickly if you don't keep him on a high reward schedule. He has his own set of rules. We had a trainer that hadn't worked with him before today. We did some work with the box and then doing tricks and just getting him comfortable to approach her. He is so much like a shy two year old, he kept hiding behind my legs and he was working on his really slow bulldoggie schedule. Lying down and doing his "go to sleep" position once he was bored of an activity. He did eventually go get some treats off her and do some tricks. He can be so sweet and endearing which is good to remember in days I can throttle him.????

Edited by hankdog

Much fun this afternoon. I saw an incoming malamute, I knew he was noisy to stood over Jake for a possibly noisy walk past. Unfortunately Jake hit my face because I stupidly lent over a dog who I new was going to lunge. It meant in the pull away from me his collar came off, no problem since he has a harness. Except that he managed to get his leg through and, voila! A reactive dog wearing his harness around his stomach facing an equally reactive malamute.

I quietly told him to sit and started waving the peanut butter around and luckily he turned for a lick. I was able to sit next to him and put my leg out in front so if he went I could clamp onto him. Luckily the malamute got dragged away and I could replace the collar and come straight home and Google dog harnesses. Another harness down, he has oddly attached arms and they are quite mobile and compressible making him a harness Houdini.

Googling bulldog straight jackets now.

:laugh: Hankdog... Don't know about a suitable bulldog straight jacket :laugh:

Have a look at the Ruffwear Webmaster harness. K9 Pro have them. I have one for Stella for when we go hiking. Very well made & strong, plus they have an extra strap under the tummy. A really good handle on top which comes in very handy with a reactive dog I find. If Jake can get out of this harness a straight jacket may very well be your next option :laugh:

HD, when Stella flip outs it is a mixture of everything you don't want a dog to do :o Very aggressive growling, lunging, barking, charging, spinning, & all this is done extremely quickly. I am not sure what else to do besides plant my feet & hang on as tight as I can to the leash. It's terrible really. Thankfully though this doesn't happen a lot as I usually do an emergency U turn if I feel there is going to be an issue or practice LAT but on occasion she will crack off unexpectedly & catch me off guard.

I'm still in recovery mode after last Saturday's events to be honest :( I had Stella on leash beside me & we were sitting on the beach. She seemed very relaxed or so I thought when next thing she exits stage left flat out barking , growling & kicking off, whipping my around in a 360 & dragging me on my stomach. After a lovely big face plant in the sand :o There was another dog that had arrived on the beach about 50 yards away. Stel wasn't a happy camper about this obviously & I wasn't letting go of the lead... After dusting myself off, sucking up the total embarrassment as the beach was quite crowed :o I realized I could barely walk I had injured my back. Thankfully I have an excellent chiro who is in the process of fixing me up. Pinched sciatic nerve & back very bruised & out in 5 places apparently. Oh the joys of owning a reactive dog :laugh:

With incidents like these or when she is reactive on lead in general, am I doing the right thing by not reprimanding her verbally? I say nothing atm & she is getting more vocal towards other dogs I believe & I need this behaviour to stop or a least lesson. She is a very sensitive/timid girl so have always thought I'd make her more sensitive if I were to rouse at her BUT I think she is getting a bit big for her britches of late when around other dogs. Maybe there is other avenue's I could explore??? I have always been of the opinion it is more important what I do to counteract/deter her behaviour than what I say but HELL I'm clearly wrong as we aren't making much positive progress as far as her reactivity toward other dogs are concerned.

Edited by BC Crazy

@Hankdog - that would have been so scary! I'm using a Ruffwear Front Range Harness, I like that the neck area sits a bit higher so it would be super hard to get a leg through.

I've posted this pic in other threads but it shows how the front is, I like it.

IMG_20141119_185533_zpsbb292006.jpg

@BC Crazy - Luna lunged this week and I fell straight over her. I didn't get as badly hurt as you, but it sure did dent my pride.

We've been enjoying our reactive dogs class, it's been giving me a lot more confidence.

Jemery, gorgeous girl your Luna :love: That harness looks a good fit on her. Reactive classes sound great. I would like to progress to those one day. Confidence is huge positive factor IMHO.

You came a cropper as well. Glad I'm not the only one & your OK. When I was on my VERY slow walk home that day I must admit I had a big chuckle to myself as my face plant into the sand would have looked hilarious :laugh:

Lunging is the absolute worst!

Didi only ever lunges at bicycles but living in the inner city we always get at least a few every walk and if I don't see them coming we're in trouble. She's yet to pull me over because I've developed a tree root grip on the ground when it comes to walking her but my shoulders are absolutely screwed after repeats of all 44kg of her slamming to the end of the lead. Though because the martingale tightens sharply like it would if I were correcting her she always whips around after she hits the end of the lead, if she decided to keep going after the bikes that would be a different story!

It's my big thing to work on this summer as it's getting super dangerous since we're more or less restricted to busy main roads and shared cycling/walking tracks around here. I'm fairly sure it's just a prey drive thing since it's only when they are moving fast and she doesn't lunge when she reacts out of fear to people and there's no barking or growling, just wants to chase them :o

Edited by Terri S.

I so hate it as well. Stella does lunge at times with those little metal scooters. She wants to chase them but bikes we are good with mostly. Yes, prey drive here too at times. Your right some those bikes go very quickly & you don't here them coming, especially in the city would be even worse I imagine. 44kg... I'm at my wits with 18kg. Stella nearly pulls my shoulder out & me over when she lunges & she is so vocal unlike DiDi. It can be very dangerous, your right. Good luck with it over summer.

I so hate it as well. Stella does lunge at times with those little metal scooters. She wants to chase them but bikes we are good with mostly. Yes, prey drive here too at times. Your right some those bikes go very quickly & you don't here them coming, especially in the city would be even worse I imagine. 44kg... I'm at my wits with 18kg. Stella nearly pulls my shoulder out & me over when she lunges & she is so vocal unlike DiDi. It can be very dangerous, your right. Good luck with it over summer.

Thanks! Hopefully she'll be as receptive to it as she has been with our other work on reactivity. To be honest I have no idea how I manage with her size when she lunges, just lucky she's for the most part a good walking buddy and even when she has the opportunity to physically overpower me her training kind of overrides it... I just wish cyclists would use their bells when they come up behind you and slow down a bit and give you space, I don't really blame Didi for losing it when they sneak attack you like that.

Injustice afraid of plastic clips. His first harness came adrift at the clip and since it's my backup if I'm using it, it cannot fail. I'm thinking a leather and brass buckle one, OH is looking at the pile of discarded dog gear and grumbling.

I'm sorting my French martingale, when it arrived the slip part was too short so it's gone back to be extended. I think I might add some straps to the spurn, I liked it because he has itchy armpits so the soft stuff diesnt bother him.

I hate the spinning BC, because he's on two leads I end up with them corkscrewed together.

You had a doozie on the beach, the reprimand I use with Jake is a stern "uh uh" I think in his board train session it got used more sternly than I do but he does respond if I get it in quick enough.

I don't think I could cope with Didi, I really battle to hang onto Jake some days and at least with stumpy legs he doesn't have the leap that a Dane would have.

Yeah it's the legs that really do it, they propel her forward so fast you don't have time to think! I was thinking perhaps a custom leather harness might be your best bet as you could get it to be snug in all the right places.

In other news I just got into the middle of a blowup with a doberman, a berner and didi and lived to tell the tale! Was at the reserve and saw a bunch of regulars with a few others I didn't recognise. We were there for about 5 minutes and this idiot woman kept yacking on about her dog was fine with sharing his ball with dogs he knows but will have a go at anyone else. Wasn't sure who her dog was and couldn't see any balls. Next thing I know this dobe drops a ball at idiot womans feet as Didi was literally just walking past it and it lunged at her throat and had a go at her. Didi's pretty non confrontational but not a push over when a random dog launches at her snarling unprovoked and gave this dobe a taste of its own medicine and then her berner friend rushes over on alert and joins in! Junped in and got Didi's collar and moved her away and she plopped down like nothing happened and idiot woman left with her dog going on about how he hadn't run around enough today which was why he had a go..? It was mainly noise and fury, nobody hurt or really trying to hurt but could easily have been worse. Bugs me that this woman was full of excuses and blind to the fact her dog had resource guarding issues... so don't let it loose with a group of dogs with its ball!! Didi went right back to playing and being submissive but if I ever see that woman letting her dog have its ball in a group of dogs Im throwing the ball in the bin!

I'm always amazed at how people do that at dog parks. Really people dogs see ball and want ball. It's like tossing m&ms into a gang of two year olds and expecting them to sit and watch only Fred eat them. It also doesn't take into account someone else's dog who may fight over balls. Unless you turn up with one for every dog there keep your ball in your pocket.

I'm always amazed at how people do that at dog parks. Really people dogs see ball and want ball. It's like tossing m&ms into a gang of two year olds and expecting them to sit and watch only Fred eat them. It also doesn't take into account someone else's dog who may fight over balls. Unless you turn up with one for every dog there keep your ball in your pocket.

This analogy was great! People just don't think

Excellent analogy. We do a lab get together once a fortnight and someone ALWAYS brings a ball. Ernie could care less mostly but to see other normally placid dogs have a go over s ball... Is frightening.

I never take anything of Ernie's out when he'll be off lead. As far as I can tell he doesn't have issues but why would I want to find out in a situation where i might not have control?

With Georgia (AmStaff), she was fine unless there was a ball involved. And I never want to be the cause of that again.

Yeah I mean I probably wouldn't have cared so much if it was a misjudgement on her part but she clearly knew her dog was possessive of the ball and was selfish enough to put her dog and everyone else's dog in danger. I do bring a tug to the park because it is the way I reward Didi for recalls but no way do I let her take it into a group of random dogs, I know she could care less who takes her toy but I don't know if the dog who takes it will be so cooperative!

So today's the day I've been fearing. I was watching an oncoming leashed dog when an off leash suddenly comes out a driveway at the pair. He had a little go but she managed to shoo him away and kept walking towards us. The stray was following her and when she got next to me I asked if there was someone in the house that the dog had come out of that I could yell to. She said no and she coukdnt help me as she needed to get her dog away. I got Jake behind a car, got a large stick and hoped the dog would stay following its first target.

He got completely past us but then must have seen or smelt us and came at us. I threw the stick but missed and in all the circling around both leads got twisted around my legs and I fell over and got wedged between the car and gutter. Since I had looped jakes halter leash to his collar leash he was very tightly clamped at my feet and their was basically a dog fight happening just out of my reach but on my feet.

It seemed to go on for ages and I was flapping around like a fish until I finally unclipped him and managed to get up and unwind myself. At this point Jake had the dog pinned, he was lying on top of the dog and I pulled him off and a young man came and grabbed the other dog.

I waited around not knowing what to do, my hand was bleeding so I finally just walked home. OH and I got in the car and went to the house the man had gone into, as it turns out he was the owners son, the dog didn't live at the first house I had seen him come out of.

OH checked the dog over and he doesnt have any puncture marks but he's quite small, say spaniel size and I'm worried he's got some bruising that could be a problem later. Owner hadn't taken him to the vet and doesn't intend to. She had a go at OH about Jake being dangerous.

I'm sitting here not knowing what to do or how to feel. If it were a large dog and I had a dog with a normal temperament I'd be reporting it. I have Jake, no way he would survive a temperament test. Plus there's the cute little fluffy against the big ugly bulldog, How can I possibly hope to defend him.

Tea and sympathy requested please.

Edited by hankdog