Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

Dozer's been pretty much the same with his reactivity and noise sensitivity.

I had the home phone plugged in (for once) and some random number called, and Dozer started crying when it rang the poor boy had no idea what it was and wasn't impressed with the volume.

The boofa also got a bath yesterday and got a good brush down with his new Zoomgroom, he was so relaxed that he couldn't stand up anymore and plonked himself down on my knee. Such a cutie sometimes! He's also now super soft and snuggly.

If he didn't hate bath time so much I'd wash him every month for how soft he is!

I've also been doing some place training with him to stay out of the kitchen while I'm cooking and he now lays down at the border of the kitchen and lounge room and watches me cooking, safely out of the way even when there's cheese, bananas or peanut butter in the kitchen :thumbsup: Those are his favourite (safe)foods too!

I'm quite proud of him for that as it only took a couple of days to convince him that he gets the good stuff when he's in his spot and he won't even walk through the kitchen to get to his spot, going around through the hall as an added bonus!

Eta: giving dozer another brush this morning, and when I stopped he reached across with his paw and tapped my leg, which I took as a "hey, don't stop!"

Edited by Taliecat

Well done talie on getting Dozer so calm and out of the way! Nothing worse than a big dog underfoot while cooking :laugh:

This thread jinxed us because...we had a big win!

Thistle didn't growl at head trainer today. Thistle nosed his hand then put her head on it (chin scratchies please)!!!! She got a whole piece of duck and a lot of praise then we quickly left on the good note so she didn't overthink her proximity to him. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

She also made friends with Ralphie today, a bouncy bc x type who really likes sniffing her butts. They've had driveby sniffs previously, but this is first time we let them play out a full greeting then hang around each other.

She tried to play with...Ziggy? a golden x who is gorgeous and a delight. I had a pretty good feeling she'd like that dog. However, no saying hello yet until they are both calm in each other's presence. Right now they make eye contact and get the sillies!

and!!! best win of all!! we met mowgliandme! *waves at them* I was frazzled but so glad to meet! Thistle got the small dog sillies though, so I couldn't say hello to mowgli without her breaking position and probably jumping on him.

Think of the cutest and fluffiest dog in the world.

Times it by 10.

That's Mowgli! Who's already in puppy-advanced! Doing a great job!

Edited by Thistle the dog

I'm so suprised dozer has any fur left with the amount I've brushed off him in the past 48 hours!

Get an amstaff they said, easy care coat, they said...

The dog noodle shapes he twists himself into while getting brushed are hilarious, but his coat looks amazing now he's dropped most of his winter coat!

Thistle got close to head trainer again! Good job Thistle :)

Also while I was gardening she was in a dropstay with the manners minder. This time on the grass (so 1m closer to the path than previously).

I was mowing on the nature stripe, with the gate open, when I was surprised by a dog behind me! A very excited staffie type! I looked over at Thistle and she was only half broken from her drop, slightly raised! I pressed the dispense button frantically to dispense bonus treats hahahah!

She very easily could have wandered over for a hello (or to tell him off for being so excited) because I left the gate open, but she didn't!

(gate closed next time though, shame on me! What if the naughty offlead dogs were walking past?!)

She's a good dog :)

That's awesome Thistle. You guys seem to be having so much fun with the Manners Minder!

Malcolm is completely off the Gabadabadoo now. He's still not as good as when he was before the trial. I hope that changes soon. Perhaps he still feels a little icky as one can when starting and stopping these medications. :(

I'm totally okay, I'm still on gabapentin, but had to lower the dose because my memory issues from it were almost dementia patient bad on the worst days.

My experience was from forgetting to take doses because my memory was so bad.. :rofl: it was somewhere between brain zaps and feeling like I had bugs crawling on me from nerves randomly firing off, so I feel for Malcolm who can't tell us why he's feeling weird.

Yeah, I'm cognisant of that too having had horrific discontinuation syndrome before. :(

Our VBs recommendation is for us to go to SABS. If anyone has any recent-ish experience with SABS please PM me.

I feel sick. I wish I didn't choose stupid "balanced" trainer when I first brought Malcolm home at three. I may have thrown out the worst of their 'advice' but now he's 10 and can't get better. :cry:

Thistle made a new dog friend today! He's been in class a couple of weeks now, and she's be sniffing curiously and calmly in his direction. He seems a real solid and calm kind of dog. She reaaaaaalllllyyyy likes him, got very waggy and silly when we let them say hello.

She also surprised us all by making friends with a strange man so fast, I didn't even have time to ask him to ignore her and not lean down to pat. She went straight into his hand for pats! :thumbsup:

She did bark at him a little later in surprise when he went to lean over for another pat but she recovered from her surprise and went back to canoodling for help.

He ended up being my distraction for the day. She kept wanting to say hello to this kind stranger*

*well, Ralph the dog's owner's brother.

:) and joining the noseworks lot. haven't had a quiet moment yet, but i'll be starting her on birch this week. hopefully i can embedded in her that it is such a positive smell that when we go to a practical workshop she might be willing to approach a stranger holding it while we work on recognising her body language and indicator.

She's been a lot calmer of later, settling in to her own. Be it training or maturity, I am happy to see her calmer.

Edited by Thistle the dog

Well, after lots of things getting in the way we finally managed to meet with the VB this aftwrnoon, and she is confident that Molly can get to the point of being safe enough with other dogs to be adoptable :)

Molly initially reacted aggressively when the VB arrived, which I strongly suspected she would, but she hasn't met anyone who's come to the house before so I wanted to test it. She recovered really quickly tho and was fine with the VB as soon as she realised she was a welcome guest.

We went to the park to assess her with dogs, and Molly actually did me proud. Usually I have her in LAT mode the whole time but obviously we needed to see her natural behaviour so let her react how she felt the need (through the fence of course), she went off at the little dogs barking at her, again as I knew she would, but recovered quickly and focused back on me as soon as I asked her to...

OT but I could not believe how long 3 or 4 separate owners let their small dogs stand at the fence going off at a big dog immediately on the other side of the fence who clearly wanted to attack them. They didn't even intervene, which was useful for our purposes but Jesus Christ *head shake*

She actually managed to stay pretty relaxed when dogs approached her on the big dog side, again through the fence. She did have a go at a couple of dogs who I think approached a bit too confidently for Molly's liking (she is much more comfortable with submissive dogs who don't challenge her) but again she could recover really quickly, and she kept looking to me asking me for the guidance I normally give her, which was pretty sweet.

I would have likes to have shown her an actual interaction, not through the fence, but there were too many dogs around to go into the park and see if we could approach a suitable dog (it's our regular dog park so I know a lot of the dogs), but the VB is going to come back and do a walk with me with Quinn (my girl) and Molly to see of we can get some sort of calmness between them, and the VB runs classes that I can bring Molly to to practice interacting with dogs in a controlled environment, which I haven't been able to before because the rescue group I'm with doesnt have any other carers out near me or really anyone behaviour experienced enough to come out and help me.

So I'm feeling positive that at least we can move forward from where we have been stalled and see how she goes!

I meant to reply earlier SG, but I'm so happy for you and Molly! How is she getting on?

We've started Malcolm on Clonidine (in addition to Prozac) as we wait for a SABS appointment. If it works we may cancel the appointment but we'll see. We are up to Task freaking 15 of the Relaxation Protocol so that is exciting. :thumbsup:

Edited by Papillon Kisses