Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

I started following you on Instagram! I only realised it was you when you mentioned Malcolm, I thought you were some nice random person XD XD he is handsome and dapper as always. Those eyes!

How were your reactive dog sessions?

We have been doing lots of lazy BAT in the front yard while i garden. I just got a new job so going to get thistle a manners minder

I just found the official BAT2 Facebook group if anyone wants to join. So far very supportive :) the author sometimes answers questions !

Edited by Thistle the dog

Haha, thanks for the compliment. And yes, Mal has the dapper thing down to a fine art even when sprinkled with dirt. :D

The session went well. Some LATing and BATing and general desensitisation. I learnt that sometimes during LAT Malcolm will look in the general direction of but anywhere OTHER than at the scary thing, then back at me to get his reward. I have to be careful not to accidentally reward him when he hasn't done the work! Something to watch out for.

Oh and congrats on the new job!

Edited by Papillon Kisses

That's such a gorgeous photo of Malcolm, PK. :heart:

I love cemeteries for walks. We've started doing a walk in the local neighbourhood that Justice is coping well with, without any valium in his system, and one stretch of road is a cemetery and we usually do a lap inside the cemetery too, to double the walk from 30 minutes to 60 minutes. It's so great to finally be able to get Justice out for a walk every day, and often twice a day, and we still do trips to the big off leash park we love on the days when I give him valium. We had a pretty huge win the other day, although I realise it's going to sound like a strange thing to be so happy about.. lol. We were doing the neighbourhood walk and got startled by a dog that isn't usually in the front yard and it started growling and barking at Justice through one of those fences that are made of metal poles with big gaps in between. Justice wasn't on valium but instead of being so terrified that he started shaking, cowering and shutting down, he went to stand his ground and arc up back at the dog! I know most reactive dog owners would think that's a bad thing but for us, it's a huge positive because he's so much less frightened if he's moving in to reactive dog mode like he used to before he was rehabilitated the first time, before the attacks. Thankfully the training from that time is ingrained in my brain and I realised what was happening and was able to move him to a safe distance and reward him for returning to a calm state, before he was able to practice any of his old reactive behaviours, but I couldn't stop smiling all the way home.. lol. Having had him as a reactive dog (which I hated at the time) and as a dog so terrified he shuts down completely, I'll take reactivity any day. At least I can work with that and he can bounce back enough to keep going if I'm on top of things like I was the other day when it happened.

Sounds like a huge win for you and a positive - maybe side step / slightly forward for J-man

:)

They said the majority of seizures are idiopathic, meaning they don't know the cause, and he could just have the first big one and then none ever again, or one every few months, or a lot. I called our VB and she said it's not his medication... the Gabapentin actually reduces seizure risk and he's been on Prozac too long for it to be that (and the Prozac risk is very rare)

They're monitoring him so if he has another they can give him Valium to stop it. They have made him a cocoon with towels and my old dressing gown to support him cause he can't even lay down properly. When I dropped off the dressing gown (it calms him) he barked/howled when he heard me so I'm taking that as a good sign in a way, that he's more with it. They said to call around four/five pm. It only happened at 11. I hope there's no dogs barking and whatnot as that would stress him. It was quiet when I was there so maybe he's the only one in.

I'm so scared. Our papillon started having seizures before he died and then another big one with lots of frothing and that same look on his face when he was dying.

How scary for you both. :(

Is the VB consulting with the vet if there are concerns that it wasn't a seizure?

I'm sure they would be doing everything they can to keep things quiet and stress free for Malcolm. I'm so sorry, PK. :hug:

Thank you Snook. :heart:

I called the vet and asked them to call her. Hoping they will do so. Also sent our VB an email (I spoke to her earlier).

They say he is alert and barking to get the nurse's attention whenever she checks on him.

Thank you both, and Snook I've spent most of the day crying but your messages made me feel a bit better. :hug:

He's back home, exhausted and hungry but under instructions to only be fed small amounts at a time which displeases him! Exhaustion suddenly hit me too. I think he's still pulling to one side... or at least was when I first brought him home... but the vet said all is fine and just to watch him. Apparently in the post-ictal state he was very reactive and stressed (rather than just attention barking as the nurse said) so they couldn't take bloods, but if he has more seizures they will run some more tests. The vet thought he would have to come off Prozac if he kept having seizures

He also played when we got home but then took a little tumble, he seems to be a bit weak in his back legs or maybe he pulled a muscle. When I found him in his state this morning he was in this strange, stiff, wide stance where he was completely tilted to one side, and then when I got him to lay on his mat he was still pulling to the one side and kind of moving about in a wavy manner with that intense glazed look in his eyes.

Anyway. I have turned his beloved gas heater on for him even though it's not cold. :o

Sorry you guys had such a bad day.. I don't know his health background but from your posts i wonder if he had a stroke or suffered intense heart pain

Yeah, my primary concern was/is that it was a stroke. :( I asked about that/other causes and the vet said if it was anything other than a seizure there'd be signs consistent with that, and that there wasn't any of those other signs. His most significant health history is Addison's Disease and GAD/OCD, his heart is fine.

Under strict instructions to try to keep him calm, as if we weren't already!!

The tilt and weirdness has gone, he's just been very tired and more reactive. Given the turn around I'm wondering if he had another little episode at the vet (he was staring... but that can be his OCD) or when we when he first came home. Will call the vet again tomorrow.

Thank you Gruf and TSD. Feeling the love. :hug:

Edited by Papillon Kisses

Oh crap PK. The Little Bugger is putting you threw the wringer at the moment. I am rapt that he is home again and that he seems to have stabilised. Just when things were going so well, and he was thriving with the nose works and new medication.

Malcolm, listen here, give your mum a break. Relax, stay calm and warm over night, so that you can both get some much needed sleep.