British Bulldog - Flea Allergy Dermatitis

Carlo11

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bathed Pearl in her regular Malaseb bath today and I noticed she had stringy clear mucus like egg white hanging from her vagina.Can I assume she has gone on heat? Ill be manning the cannons!

Not necessarily!! Usually at the onset of a season it will be just blood. Wipe her vagina with toilet paper and just check the colour.

There is another reason for the possible discharge but I dont know if you want to go down that avenue.

Clear stringy discharge can be a positive indication that a bitch is pregnant.

Oh please,dont say that! There is no blood,just stringy mucus.I wiped her and no blood at all.Can it be anything else? We are due to see the vet on Saturday.

The other thing you will notice with a season is that her vulva area will be swelling. Actually sometimes with a pregnant bitch the vulva area may not reduce much if she has fallen pregnant after a season.

I am not meaning to alarm you. It is just a possibility that she may be pregnant. We use it as a really good sign with our bitches. Looks like she may of had a few litters in her life time unless she just has really saggy boobys.

Look Carlo. There are options if she is preggers. You need to talk to your vet on this one as well. Given her condition I know what I would do if she was preggers.

The best thing you have done for Pearl is give her the best of homes with all the love in the world.

Pearl saw the vet today.She is DEFINITELY not pregnant! He believes she has a low grade uterine infection so she is back on antibiotics for that.Her weight is 19.4kg so even though ive doubled her feeds to 2 per day,she has lost a little weight.

He commented that her skin seemed red on the bald patches and after some discussion we came to the conclusion . ..its my fault!!

I have been washing her with Malaseb shampoo and wasnt aware you had to dilute it prior to putting it on the dog.No real warning on the bottle so Ive been burning her twice a week and I didnt even know.

He has also suggested trying her on Megaderm food supplement and Protexin.Any thoughts?

He had a really good look at her today and suggested she has rickets or whatever the canine equivalent is . . .her knees are funny and she has an arch in her back.This he believes is from being bred young,bred often and fed a very poor diet . . . .

A bit of a depressing day really . . .

Hugs Carlo, you have done a great job to rescue this girl and now have the vets advice on the Shampoo so it is all going in the right direction. If her skin has been a bit aggravated by the shampoo I am sure she has endured far worse in her previous life, just love her and keep up the good work.

Pearl saw the vet today.She is DEFINITELY not pregnant! He believes she has a low grade uterine infection so she is back on antibiotics for that.Her weight is 19.4kg so even though ive doubled her feeds to 2 per day,she has lost a little weight.

He commented that her skin seemed red on the bald patches and after some discussion we came to the conclusion . ..its my fault!!

I have been washing her with Malaseb shampoo and wasnt aware you had to dilute it prior to putting it on the dog.No real warning on the bottle so Ive been burning her twice a week and I didnt even know.

He has also suggested trying her on Megaderm food supplement and Protexin.Any thoughts?

He had a really good look at her today and suggested she has rickets or whatever the canine equivalent is . . .her knees are funny and she has an arch in her back.This he believes is from being bred young,bred often and fed a very poor diet . . . .

A bit of a depressing day really . . .

That is really good to know Carlo. As I said I didnt mean to alarm you but it is best to be safe than sorry..

OK I am going to suggest another thing to help with her weight gain. How much exercise does she have? If she is very active then reduce it down. Half it. Quarter it even. She wont put on weight if she is burning calories with her exercise.

When you say she has an arch in her back what do you mean? Her spine is suppose to be curved? Her knees(patellas, stifles) are suppose to slightly turn out. Looking at her she does have excessive curvature of the spine though so I am guessing this is what the vet was on about. And yes it is rickets in dogs. Rickets is a vit D deficiency and can cause anorexia andcalcification of soft tissues. It is actually a rare condition these days but anything can happen with a very poor diet when growing up.

Please dont despair. You have done/are doing a wonderful job with her.

She has clearly been under nourished in her critical growth period as a youngster. A food supplement will help but in the long run the damage has been done sadly.

You can only do your best for her now.

Variations in curvatures of the spine in Bulldogs can range from virtually nothing(ie a table top back) to an excessive curve in the topline. This may be born from the fact that she was not very well bred/and or from diet. I did also notice too that she is very down in pasterns.(front leg wrist joints) At her age this is not going to be corrected and it is not going to make a difference. I would suggest elevating her food bowl so she doesnt have to crouch down so much for her meal. You can do this by placing some bricks against a side wall and putting her food bowl on this. Just making sure the bowl doesnt slip off.

Exercise - Pearl doesnt go for walks.She just plays with her ball in the yard . . .snuffling it and carrying it around.I used to throw it for her but have stopped as it makes the limp worse.So I now put her ball in the clam pool and she just slobbers and paddles around in that so its not really that much exercise.?

Her spine dips down into a sag and then elevates into a hump over her hips.Her left shoulder is more pronounced than the other and her hips are rotating inwards as the vet said.He said rickets is rare these days as even basic dog foods contain enough nutrition to prevent it but she is the first case he has seem in over ten years.

I have her on fish oil and have enriched her diet with eggs and Jalna Yoghurt etc etc . . .. will Megaderm and Protexin be of any major help?

Also lately she has developed a fixation on balls . . .If she doesnt have a ball with her constantly,she will get really anxious,panting and barking.I have taken the ball away but I give in after she barks for half an hour and gets herself so worked up . . . .Its only bee the last two weeks I am noticing this is getting an issue but she panics if she doesnt have that ball.

He has left her on Prednisone for another 3 weeks and then we have another checkup.

Exercise - Pearl doesnt go for walks.She just plays with her ball in the yard . . .snuffling it and carrying it around.I used to throw it for her but have stopped as it makes the limp worse.So I now put her ball in the clam pool and she just slobbers and paddles around in that so its not really that much exercise.?

Her spine dips down into a sag and then elevates into a hump over her hips.Her left shoulder is more pronounced than the other and her hips are rotating inwards as the vet said.He said rickets is rare these days as even basic dog foods contain enough nutrition to prevent it but she is the first case he has seem in over ten years.

I have her on fish oil and have enriched her diet with eggs and Jalna Yoghurt etc etc . . .. will Megaderm and Protexin be of any major help?

Also lately she has developed a fixation on balls . . .If she doesnt have a ball with her constantly,she will get really anxious,panting and barking.I have taken the ball away but I give in after she barks for half an hour and gets herself so worked up . . . .Its only bee the last two weeks I am noticing this is getting an issue but she panics if she doesnt have that ball.

He has left her on Prednisone for another 3 weeks and then we have a

He has left her on Prednisone for another 3 weeks and then we have another checkup.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_0787.jpgIMG_0753.jpgIMG_0779.jpg

These pics of Pearl were taken today.She is doing well as they can attest.Pearl may be going into the care of Kelscat who will continue with her vetwork and rehome her into a good home. It hasnt been finalised yet but already I feel a sense of dread at saying goodbye to this gorgeous girl.But I know she has a chance now for a better life than from where she came from and will never again be left in such an apalling state of health.Hope you like the pics.

Kelscat will love her as one of her own, I am sure.

You've done such a wonderful job with Pearl you should be feeling really pleased with yourself :thumbsup:

Thanks Clyde, my sister is picking up Pearl tomorrow and i for one can't wait to get

my hands on her! She is just lovely and im sure she will be very happy here with us

until she is ready to be rehomed! :thumbsup:

Kelscat will love her as one of her own, I am sure.

You've done such a wonderful job with Pearl you should be feeling really pleased with yourself :thumbsup:

Thanks Clyde, my sister is picking up Pearl tomorrow and i for one can't wait to get

my hands on her! She is just lovely and im sure she will be very happy here with us

until she is ready to be rehomed! :thumbsup:

Hi Kelscats, I hope you will continue the story of Pearl with updates on who she is doing :)