Heart Worm?

SpotTheDog

Okay so am finally settled in Townsville (after relocating from central Victoria).

We're here eight weeks, and I've noticed two things: first is Gus is getting bitten to bits by mossies. His undercarriage is nearly bald and he's covered in bites up inside his back legs, around his penis and up to his belly. He sleeps indoors at night and we have fly screens, so any bites he's getting are during time outdoors to pee in the evenings, or on walks. Problem is he has to be walked around dawn and dusk because it's too hot otherwise. I don't think I ever saw a single mosquito bite on him in Vic - we were lucky to be reasonably far from any water source and bites were a rarity, even for me.

Anyway - I was vaguely aware of the mosquito-heartworm connection, and when worming him the other day I checked the product and discovered it's not effective for heartworm.

Okay so questions - how quickly would the dog develop a heartworm load? How common is it? I see Milbemax treats heartworm but it has a big caveat saying not to use it without having the dog pre-tested at the vet. Am a bit strapped for cash after relocating (no job yet) and really could do without dropping up to a hundred bucks (yeah as ever just a squeak shy of my pet insurance excess) to have the dog tested at the vet if he really doesn't need to be...

So what do you lot in heart-worm territory do? What's the most cost-effective preventative and how often do I give it?

And is there a good mosquito-repellent for dogs? :(

How about phoning the vet, and asking about the incidence in your area? being warm all year round, and with plenty of dogs and mossies , it would be sensible to obtain a test and some medication asap., I think.

from memory, it takes a few months for heartworm microfilaria to mature and lodge in the heart.

AFAIK, preventative treatment is best carried out while they are very small, and the dead worms then don't clog up the blood vessels

it would be sensible to obtain a test and some medication asap.,

this is the really important bit. Don't start treating your dog with anything before you know whether or not they are affected. It can make the problem worse. It may not be an issue since you've just moved into the area, but be really sure before deciding on a course of action.

I also suggest ringing up and talking to a vet. It is quite possible that your will be able to start treatment without a test so long as you get on top of it now. Leaving it another month or two will mean that you will defiantly have to test/ and worst case senario go through treatment!!

Edited by Jumabaar

The monthly heartworm meds cover any immature heartworm picked up in the previous 4-6 weeks. Check with the vet but I think once you go over about 6 weeks, the dog needs to be tested before starting on the medication. If mature worms die in the heart it can kill the dog.

I find the most cost effective way is the Sentinal range. Heart and intensinal worm - Inteceptor - and is you also want fleas - Spectrum.

Maybe Gus is having a reaction to the the bites. I know my sisters dog breaks out if she is bitten by just 1 mosquito. Your vet may be able to give some suggestions for this?

The other thing to consider is it may be sandflies, not mosquitos. Sandflies can get through fly screens. I know if I every get covered in bites it is usually from sand flies.

I moved from a non heartworm area in Vic to QLD a year ago. I started my dogs on heartguard. Was told by the vet to use for 6 months and then get a test done. I then changed over to valuheart, heaps cheaper (off ebay). I havent had the tests done. I started the heart wormer as soon as I moved here and since it is also a treatment aswell as preventative I didnt think it neccessary to do the tests as Im positive they didnt have it. I had 7 dogs when I moved up (6 now)Im not about to fork out for something that is not completely neccessary. Had I lived in QLD (or other heart worm area) for some time before starting heart worm meds, then I would have had the tests done. I know some people only treat in the warmer months or every 6-8 weeks but I treat monthly all year round :0)

. Am a bit strapped for cash after relocating (no job yet) and really could do without dropping up to a hundred bucks (yeah as ever just a squeak shy of my pet insurance excess) to have the dog tested at the vet if he really doesn't need to be...

I had a toy breed tested a couple of years ago and cost was $40.00. When I first moved into a new area knowing no-one to get recommendations I rang several vets and obtained quotes as that way you know what the cost is prior to attending the clinic.

Guest lavendergirl

Dusk is the worst time for mozzies - if possible walk him a little later in the evening. I am sure I have seen insect repellant for dogs in the pet shops?

Hi,

It is far better to prevent heartwaorm...than to have your dog get heartworm and then be treated for it.........I had a dog diagnosed with heartworm at the time it first hit Syndey some 30 years ago, I know the treatment is easier now.......but this is a very unpleasant thing to have........prevention is far better, and as someone else has said...talk to your vet.

Thanks all for the input.

Called the closest vet to me (<5 mins away). Consult: $58, heartworm test (which they recommend) $66, plus apparently they can give a heartworm injection that'll last the full year which'll cost $133.

Debating whether to go for the jab - at the moment I worm Gus for intestinal worms every three months. I keep a close eye for worms and for fleas - again having a dog with an extremely short coat (single coat with hairs <1 inch long) nothing hides successfully for long. I can buy a generic ivermectin-based heartguard treatment (Nuheart) online for $32 for 12 tablets which is the annual dose covered. Can't see why I'd pay an extra $101 for protection for the same period...

Time to find another price from another vet for comparison (though I'm always a sucker for opting for the closest vet to me).

Good GOD!

Just called a second vet, <6 mins away:

No consult fee

Injection $97

Heartworm test $65 - I asked if I opted not to have the jab and just came in for a test would there be a consult fee - no, she said, just the $65.

So with one phonecall, even if I don't have the jab, I've already saved myself $59... That's scary. :eek:

Are you sure they're definitely mozzie bites and not more of a skin reaction/allergy?

Heartworm treatment is still important, but I'd probably opt for a consult in case the spots you're seeing are a skin infection or irritation from something in the environment, humidity etc.

Edited by stormie

Regarding the mozzie bites - my boy is a target for the mozzies too, and the lumps are huge when he gets bitten. In mozzie weather, I protect him by having him wear a tee-shirt (I knot it at the top to tailor it). But what I really want are PJ's with the sleeves in, except made of cool material that will breath, but protect him from the mozzies.

Just an idea you might like to tinker with, considering the all-year round weather up there in Townsville. Hope you settle in well.

Are you sure they're definitely mozzie bites and not more of a skin reaction/allergy?

Heartworm treatment is still important, but I'd probably opt for a consult in case the spots you're seeing are a skin infection or irritation from something in the environment, humidity etc.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they're mossie bites. Small raised red bumps mostly, in an uneven pattern, and as they heal some of them sort of scab over finely. Plus they've made a bee-line for his least-covered bits, poor lad - further up his chest where he has a covering of fur he has no bites. I'll get the vet to take a look though. It doesn't look like a skin allergy or reaction - it's not a rash. If it wasn't mossie bites I'd be more tempted to describe it as being like half healed chicken pox than anything else (but no blisters). He came up with what I thought was a hot spot on one shoulder and I was worried it would be hugely irritating, but it's healing almost as quickly as it's appeared. I went out into the yard on the damp grass the other morning in thongs and stood there for about three or four minutes playing with one of the cats and came in with three mosquito bites on my feet, so they're definitely living it up in our yard. I think he stands on the grass and they just come up out of it and land on him.

For the sake of my poor over-strained pocket I'm going to keep it to the test at the second vet (since rang a third who were also very expensive) and the year's tablets online for under $100 all up and just ask about the bites while he's having blood taken.

Otherwise he's happy out - loves the heat and sunbathes (have to put zinc on his nose). Apparently central Vic isn't your friend when you've a bull terrier coat!

I would never give my dog the heartworm injection.

Interceptor (monthly chew) is cheap, covers heartworm and all intestinal worms.

http://www.pets.novartis.com.au/dogs/interceptorSpectrum.html

Mosquito repellent for dogs:

http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/BUZZO75

http://shop.rufusandcoco.com.au/p-28-bug-off.aspx

Advantix also does mozzies http://www.bayeranimal.com.au/default.aspx?Page=50&ItemId=14