Why We Should Feed Raw

luvsdogs

OSoSwift thank you for sharing. When you had these problems was your dog ever given Epi-Gastro capsules? If so, for how long?

Was your dog on a processed diet before trying raw? If so, for how long?

Ummm nope never heard of them, he was given pro-biotic powder on a number of occasions for a few weeks at a time - protexin

He was on mainly dry with some raw. I got him at around 7 months but fed him the things he had had before but more often (if that makes sense)

My other dogs have been on a mix since young and has know food allergy issues and the other can eat whatever you throw in her direction.

Thanks OSS - I too get a bit tetchy when I'm tired - and also when people misinterpret what I wrote when I genuinely try very hard to be clear and fair. :)

I'm a great advocate of raw human grade diets - no secret there - and I think they can even be cheaper if done cleverly. But I have a westie boy who puts on kilos at the sight of dry food (even the low calorie stuff) and a westie girl who it's hard to keep the weight on!! So although I dont use a lot of dry food, I do use it as a sneaky supplementary food for her in the bottom of her bowl, underneath her Yellowgirl raw formula, to give her a few more calories. The combination seems to work.

Interestingly, this is something the practice manager at work and I are at opposite ends of the spectrum on. I admire her greatly - she's brilliant - but she loves dry food and I dont! We've just agreed to disagree! :)

Yes you were being clear when I read it again and properly.

I have dogs who are pretty much super fit, look great vets and otehrs rave over how good they look so I must be doing something right for them :)

I am not a staunch dry food feeder and do feed raw as well, but used to feed more raw than I do now. I do get frustrated when I have boxes of bones of Lamb and Beef and end up giving half of it away becasue it will take forever to use.

I do have to be careful of the fat content also with the one who doesn't handle raw food as he can get unwell if he has too much fat. So even if I give them a bit of natures gift I choose the Roo generally, and make sure I scrape all visble fat off before giving it to him.

I have a dog that does not tolerate raw as a whole diet. I have just started introducing some chicken bones back into her diet. So far, so good. Raw wasn't the best for her and at the time I wasn't really happy about it (because I was saying to myself, 'c'mon, this is the BEST diet for you!') But, in fact she does so much better on a high quality, grain-free dry. Different dogs, different approaches.

Couple that with the fact that she was and still is, a finicky eater - 'oh, I'm not having lamb today', 'oh, I'm not touching my *insert food item*' etc, made getting the balance right a nightmare. No pandering from me, ten minutes and food got picked up. She never starved herself, BUT she would always seem to wait for the chicken or the BARF mix or the sardines. Or she'd do the exact opposite and decide she didn't want those. Completely did my head in.

She will still miss meals with her dry, BUT at least I know she isn't missing out on vital nutrients over time. She is in perfect health and is at a nice weight. She is one of these dogs that does not put on weight even if I stuff her full of training treats and she has her regular meals and eats them all.

Guest Augustine Approved

OSoSwift it sounds like a common problem and I know of someone that can help very easily to adjust your dog's system to tolerate raw food. They have done this for many dogs with the same issues you have described. I do not believe that it has anything to do with fat content. If it interests you PM me and I can give you their details.

OSoSwift it sounds like a common problem and I know of someone that can help very easily to adjust your dog's system to tolerate raw food. They have done this for many dogs with the same issues you have described. I do not believe that it has anything to do with fat content. If it interests you PM me and I can give you their details.

Yes I am interested but he also cannot tolerate much fat at all which is why he does best on roo and my own home grown beef. So while it may be something else fat is a contributor. I have been told it can be an issue in Whippets.

I feed a combination of raw and dry. The kibble is the main part of their diet, but they also get chicken mince mixed in every night, plus chicken frames and raw meaty bones. I found swapping 1 cup of dry for 1 cup of mince really helped my dogs maintain their weight better.