Why We Should Feed Raw

luvsdogs

Guest lavendergirl

Very interesting article. I don't believe though that a true premium quality kibble would contain some of the nasty by-products mentioned. I think this happened years ago but not so much now. I agree that feeding dogs has become way too complicated and we need to get back to some basics and stop confusing ourselves (well - me anyway). :confused:

Sounds like she was feeding her dog a kibble full of rubbish as a lot of people do. It's pretty important when choosing a dog food to read the label carefully & avoid preservatives, fillers & anything artificial...what country has the ingredients come from....are they human grade etc etc. It would be interesting to know what she was feeding him, especially if any of the ingredients might have come from China,for instance. If I were feeding a completely raw diet, I would still be worried about what were in or on the the raw ingredients, unless I had grown them myself.

I've heard it all before from Billinghurst to Lonsdale & have all their books. I guess in an ideal world it would be beneficial to have the dogs on a totally raw diet, but I would want to use human grade meat & that can get expensive these days.

I believe that raw meaty bones are the best to keep their teeth clean, April was testament to that as in her later years she couldn't have anything with wheat in it (it made her incontinent) so she virtually lived on raw chicken & some lamb, which improved her teeth. It wasn't until I discovered a couple of kibbles with oats instead of wheat that she was able to have some kibble meals.

Then there was the article in Urban Animal a number of years ago on dog treats that made me more cautious with what treats I give my dogs.

http://urbananimal.net.au/pdf/issue19/5_cuisine1.pdf

http://urbananimal.net.au/pdf/issue19/5_cuisine2a.pdf

http://urbananimal.net.au/pdf/issue19/6_cuisine3.pdf

Just wondering what everyone would recommend as the best dryfood around? I have two GSDs, one 7yrs and one nearly 5mnths. I had my pup on the Hills Science Diet puppy formula but wondering what is the best for her as she grows into an adult and also for my boy. He is currently on Hills ZD due to tummy upset.

I agree it does my head in!

i have a dally who has stones, so low purine, which means red meat is out, and a bully who is prone to bad skin.

i have done loads of reading on it all and still not sure!

mine have done well on Pro plan, and advance, with necks and wings, just trying out Vans.

Pffffft, over it. If you feed your dogs dry then you are poisoning them with rubbish. If you feed your dogs raw then they will surely choke and die, or end up with salmonella and infect your children or better yet get a taste for blood and eat you in your sleep. Better not feed your dogs at all, very dangerous that....

Personally dry food does my head in and it's easier for me to feed raw. Works for the dogs, works for me. Others would be the complete opposite and that's fine by mesmile.gif.

Yep I too am somewhat over it as well. But... the annecdotal accounts of the benefits of human grade raw food is becoming more than a dull roar... and my guys are thriving and have 'perfect' blood screens to prove it...

I think its 'do whats best for your dog' - but do some really deep soul searching at the same time - and see if the way you feed is genuinely for your dog or for you and your convenience... :)

Pffffft, over it. If you feed your dogs dry then you are poisoning them with rubbish. If you feed your dogs raw then they will surely choke and die, or end up with salmonella and infect your children or better yet get a taste for blood and eat you in your sleep. Better not feed your dogs at all, very dangerous that....

Personally dry food does my head in and it's easier for me to feed raw. Works for the dogs, works for me. Others would be the complete opposite and that's fine by mesmile.gif.

Edited by westiemum

What about if you have a dog that cannot tolerate raw and has infact ended up very unwell at the vets after he has eaten it?

There are some very good quality dry foods, research is needed to find it. I have three dogs each with their quirks and some who can only tolerate certain things, which all seem to differ from each other.

I do not feed dry purely for the convience of it and I do take a small amount of offense that it is implied that if a person feeds dry it is for their own benefit.

Guest Augustine Approved

OSoSwift I am interested in hearing details as to why your dog cannot tolerate raw, or if the exact cause is unknown, could you tell us what happened.

I found raw did my head in! So confusing and I stressed myself about whether I was doing it right and getting in everything they need. I now do dry and chicken wings.

OSoSwift I am interested in hearing details as to why your dog cannot tolerate raw, or if the exact cause is unknown, could you tell us what happened.

It is believed the main reason was he could not tolerate much fat if any. However he can eat cooked chicken, lamb, beef and roo and be fine.

He has ended up with a bacterial gastro - not salmonella but a bug of some sort, kept waxing and waning until we went to the vet and he got antibiotics - can't remember which ones now.

If he eats raw food of any type he ends up with diahorrea (sp?) and/or vomiting, goes off his food and is very sad and tender in his abdomen.

He can tolerate a small amount of raw bones but essentially they are beef rib bones with very little meat and if he gets one his poo softens a bit but he is okay within a day, if he gets more than one a week he ends up very off colour and we are on the road of treating gastro.

If he eats his Blackhawk with cooked meat or some Natures gift and the odd raw bone and dried chew he is fine, has perfect poos, no vomiting and is in beautiful condition. He has been on this diet for a while and looks a treat and is extremely fit. He has trained for a gained an ET title ont his diet but there is no way I could have done it while trying to find out what raw foods to feed him as he was always dropping weight and I couldn't keep his fitness up.

I would like to give him more bones for his teeth, but I clean them instead. I tried over a period of 12 months to try different raw foods and bones with similar conclusions - raw lamb and turkey making him the sickest. he has however eaten both cooked and been fine and blackhawk is lamb based. All the raw food has been Human grade food, I even tried Pet grade incase of colourings etc but all with the same result.

He now infact refuses to eat raw chicken, turkey or lamb.

Edited by OSoSwift

OSSread what I wrote -

I think its 'do whats best for your dog' - but do some really deep soul searching at the same time - and see if the way you feed is genuinely for your dog or for you and your convenience... :)

I did not say if you feed dry its for your convenience - in fact what I wrote could be interpreted as if you feed raw you do it for your convenience! All I suggested is to look genuinely at the reasons you feed your dog the way you do - cost, research or understanding, genuine belief that its best for your dog, your convenience, access (some country people I know feed raw because its 'most convenient') and I suppose a thousand other reasons...

I too am 'a little offended' that a DOLer of your stature would jump to that conclusion...

What about if you have a dog that cannot tolerate raw and has infact ended up very unwell at the vets after he has eaten it?

There are some very good quality dry foods, research is needed to find it. I have three dogs each with their quirks and some who can only tolerate certain things, which all seem to differ from each other.

I do not feed dry purely for the convience of it and I do take a small amount of offense that it is implied that if a person feeds dry it is for their own benefit.

OSSread what I wrote -

I did not say if you feed dry its for your convenience - in fact what I wrote could be interpreted as if you feed raw you do it for your convenience! All I suggested is to look genuinely at the reasons you feed your dog the way you do - cost, research or understanding, genuine belief that its best for your dog, your convenience, access (some country people I know feed raw because its 'most convenient') and I suppose a thousand other reasons...

I too am 'a little offended' that a DOLer of your stature would jump to that conclusion...

Yes your right and I apologise for that take on it. I also should probably not post when I am up in the wee hours of the morning due to insomnia. :o

I took it the wrong way. I have put a heap of time and effort into finding what works for my motely crew and I have been accussed of trying to poison my dogs becasue I feed dry food and cooked, so it can be a bit of a sore point with me occassionally - mainly when I am lacking sleep

I have fed raw over the years and have found my dogs do best on a combination except for the one I have now. I may be doing it worng but have never had a dog look quite as good on a raw only diet as when I do a combination of both. I have told my dog he is not a real dog becasue he gets a belly ache from raw bones - I grow the meat myself for goodness sake, I know exaclty what goes in it and it has no nasties and I still can't feed it to him!!!

Thanks OSS - I too get a bit tetchy when I'm tired - and also when people misinterpret what I wrote when I genuinely try very hard to be clear and fair. :)

I'm a great advocate of raw human grade diets - no secret there - and I think they can even be cheaper if done cleverly. But I have a westie boy who puts on kilos at the sight of dry food (even the low calorie stuff) and a westie girl who it's hard to keep the weight on!! So although I dont use a lot of dry food, I do use it as a sneaky supplementary food for her in the bottom of her bowl, underneath her Yellowgirl raw formula, to give her a few more calories. The combination seems to work.

Interestingly, this is something the practice manager at work and I are at opposite ends of the spectrum on. I admire her greatly - she's brilliant - but she loves dry food and I dont! We've just agreed to disagree! :)

Edited by westiemum

I am soon to start my two (RR & Kelpie) on Big Dogs Barf. When the kibble is finished its onto the BARF :eek:

Turkey for the ridgie who has (a bit like Oso's dog) lots of probs with meat proteins, other than lamb and possible turkey! And the BD Barf turkey is the only one with 100% turkey & turkey byproducts. The Kelpie is going to try the lamb.

Im a bit worried about how Zola (RR) will deal with it, as she has been on lamb kibble and human grade lamb mince for quite a while now. It took us quite a while to figure out what she could and couldnt handle - vomiting, tummy upsets and itching in her ears and mouth. I cant remember the last time she had the runs, which is wonderful :D

If it doesnt work for her, I will happily go back to kibble & mince - she also has whole carrots to chew, sweet potato and cauliflower as she lurves her veges :laugh:

I feel Wandy the kelpie will do well on the BARF, she doesnt seem to have any food issues and thrives on pretty much whatever she gets, little love :)

Guest Augustine Approved

OSoSwift thank you for sharing. When you had these problems was your dog ever given Epi-Gastro capsules? If so, for how long?

Was your dog on a processed diet before trying raw? If so, for how long?