Do I Need Another Mating?

mini girl

Guess what - the minute I pick up the phone to start making calls they tie again - I think I should trust my boy's judgement - maybe he just needed to get his strength back - so that is a tie on Monday night and now one Wednesday morning - maybe one more before she flys home Friday.

Do you still think it still worth a progesterone test to see where she is?

It's probably less hassle to just try another mating and send the girl home after, unless you've got excellent vet service in your area. I've never had a girl who tied twice over a period of 3 or more days fail to end up in pup. Where I live now, by the time they sent the blood to the lab and got the results back (2 days), the girl may well have gone over the peak.

Just an update - all looks good now - my boy is as keen as mustard and won't leave her - so that is a tie on Monday night a tie on Wednesday morning and I think they will get one more in tomorrow - won't let him go tonight give him a chance to get his sperm count back up - the old girl with the anal gland problem is now totally uninteresting to him - so looks like all should be fine - hope so. As said before he has never missed with my own girls and does produce lovely pups.

He doesn't need a rest to get his sperm count back up, give him a feed of red meat and he would have been ready to go again within a couple of hours.

Wow facinating about the red meat and a couple of hours - infact after their meal last night I found them tied again - ON MY BED!!! oh well as long as it works - that makes 3 ties so we should be ok - I was under the impression that they needed 48 hours to get their sperm count back - but glad to hear that its not necessary. He is totally besoteed by her again today and won't move more than 6 inches away from her - but she seems to be getting a bit past it and prefers to sit next to me - but you never know there may be one more for the road - but I feel pretty sure it should all be ok. - oh God just heard a yelp - they are tied again and on my bed again - better learn to shut the door - I am running out of clean sheets!!! The things we put our selves through.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Sounds like they were well and truly ready, maybe close the door and put a sheet with some rose petals on it for them in another part of the house. ;)

Looking forward to hearing the good news post about puppies on the way. :D

Just an update - all looks good now - my boy is as keen as mustard and won't leave her - so that is a tie on Monday night a tie on Wednesday morning and I think they will get one more in tomorrow - won't let him go tonight give him a chance to get his sperm count back up - the old girl with the anal gland problem is now totally uninteresting to him - so looks like all should be fine - hope so. As said before he has never missed with my own girls and does produce lovely pups.

He doesn't need a rest to get his sperm count back up, give him a feed of red meat and he would have been ready to go again within a couple of hours.

Wow facinating about the red meat and a couple of hours - infact after their meal last night I found them tied again - ON MY BED!!! oh well as long as it works - that makes 3 ties so we should be ok - I was under the impression that they needed 48 hours to get their sperm count back - but glad to hear that its not necessary. He is totally besoteed by her again today and won't move more than 6 inches away from her - but she seems to be getting a bit past it and prefers to sit next to me - but you never know there may be one more for the road - but I feel pretty sure it should all be ok. - oh God just heard a yelp - they are tied again and on my bed again - better learn to shut the door - I am running out of clean sheets!!! The things we put our selves through.

You let them run together?

Wow. Don't know any breeders here that would allow their dog and bitch to mate unsupervised.

I didn't read all of your last post, I would be most unhappy if a stud owner allowed my bitch and their stud dog to run together unsupervised.

When ever I have left a bitch to board at the stud owners, I am relying on them to supervise all matings, not to just leave them together. :(:(

Sorry but that is NOT in the best interest of my bitch.

I didn't read all of your last post, I would be most unhappy if a stud owner allowed my bitch and their stud dog to run together unsupervised.

When ever I have left a bitch to board at the stud owners, I am relying on them to supervise all matings, not to just leave them together. :(:(

How do I answer this - the dogs live in our home and are never far from us at any time - was with them on the first two matings and all was well and held the girl and kept her placid - although she is a very laid back little girl - the third one cought me a bit of guard - but noticed them missing for a short time and found them together - so sat on the bed with them and my visiting granddaughter till they were apart - nothing untoward happened in the least - and the last one - they had come upstairs with me while I checked my emails etc. and were gone for no more than a few minutes when I heard the yelp - and went to see - and found them tied- have not left them unsupervised - the whole 6 days she has been here have kept in constant touch with her owner and she has no problems in the way things have been - they are not big dogs and my male is not an aggressive boy at all - very gentle - he is used to this with my own girls - I know a kennel situation may be different but I don't want to lock this little girl away and just bring her out for a mating and put her back - while she is here she is living as my own dogs do - have used my boy with own 3 girls in a similar way and never a problem yet. We all have our own ways of doing things and this is working for me.

Edited by mini girl

You let them run together?

Wow. Don't know any breeders here that would allow their dog and bitch to mate unsupervised.

We supervise the first mating and then leave the dogs and bitches too it. I seperate them after each mating but basically let them out together and let them do their own thing. I know of plenty who watch for the first mating and then leave them in a kennel or run together.

A mating is supposed to be a simple thing and shouldn;t need owners holding bitches and dogs and it certainly shouldn't be a natural mating followed by an AI. Just put the dogs together and the bitch will accpet him when she's ready and allow them to mate until they are done.

Steve might be able to answer a little more scientifically regarding the red meat but I believe it's because the food source is easily digested and the essential nutrients are available to the dog within a few hours, unlike the dry foods which take longer to digest.

mini girl, I have no idea as to what breed you have but I have a large breed and I am ok with my girls being kenneled if they are at a stud.

Yes mating should be a simple thing but just for me I would rather her be let out of the kennel only when the stud owner is supervising them.

The stud owner does not need to be handling or guiding them they just need to be present when the dogs are both out together.

That is just how I feel.

mini girl, I have no idea as to what breed you have but I have a large breed and I am ok with my girls being kenneled if they are at a stud.

Yes mating should be a simple thing but just for me I would rather her be let out of the kennel only when the stud owner is supervising them.

The stud owner does not need to be handling or guiding them they just need to be present when the dogs are both out together.

That is just how I feel.

I guess with large breeds and a kennel situation it could well be a different story - mine are miniature poodles and I only have 4 that live at home with us - they are our pets we love very much first and foremost - I would never do anything knowingly that would harm my dogs or any dog staying at my home in any way - but can realise that all breeds are not the same - I have over the years used a stud dog away from home - but took my girl to them and stayed with them while a mating took place - only once did I have to leave my girl overnight and I picked her up the next day all ok and got 8 beautiful pups. I got my stud boy as a pup some 4 years ago - and he seemed to be a natural - and fathered pups the first time without a bit of worry - and quite a few since - the girl he was first with was a pup at the same time as him and they sort of grew up together - but when the time came he just knew what to do and all was well. I would totally trust this boy to not get agro or harmful to any of my girls - and after two matings where I was present at the beginning could see that the little girl staying here was a very even tempered little thing not skittish or highly strung - and the whole tie was very quiet and no problems at all. I think perhaps I am lucky but must admit this is the only breed I have had experience with so can't speak for other breeds. Any way just hope its been a success - if she is like my own girls she will be ok.

I now understand your reasoning and I do know Miniature Poodles would certainly require their environment to be as near as possible to what they are used to at home, anything else would stress them out terribly. Congratulations and I will look forward to hearing that she is in whelp and I am sure you will be posting the regulation of puppy photos in 9 weeks.

My GSD's wouldn't care just as long as they are fed but even stating that most of their breeding's have been within 2 or 4 hours drive and with careful monitoring of their progesterone levels I often only do one or possibly 2 matings and I am there with them.

I now understand your reasoning and I do know Miniature Poodles would certainly require their environment to be as near as possible to what they are used to at home, anything else would stress them out terribly. Congratulations and I will look forward to hearing that she is in whelp and I am sure you will be posting the regulation of puppy photos in 9 weeks.

My GSD's wouldn't care just as long as they are fed but even stating that most of their breeding's have been within 2 or 4 hours drive and with careful monitoring of their progesterone levels I often only do one or possibly 2 matings and I am there with them.

Thank you - I will certainly let you know -she is home now safe and sound and we will all play the waiting game - another reason I let them have a fairly free reign was that on her first mating she didn't conceive - so heres hoping it will happen this time.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Who has he been watching.;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

How do I answer this - the dogs live in our home and are never far from us at any time - was with them on the first two matings and all was well and held the girl and kept her placid - although she is a very laid back little girl - the third one cought me a bit of guard - but noticed them missing for a short time and found them together - so sat on the bed with them and my visiting granddaughter till they were apart - nothing untoward happened in the least - and the last one - they had come upstairs with me while I checked my emails etc. and were gone for no more than a few minutes when I heard the yelp - and went to see - and found them tied- have not left them unsupervised - the whole 6 days she has been here have kept in constant touch with her owner and she has no problems in the way things have been - they are not big dogs and my male is not an aggressive boy at all - very gentle - he is used to this with my own girls - I know a kennel situation may be different but I don't want to lock this little girl away and just bring her out for a mating and put her back - while she is here she is living as my own dogs do - have used my boy with own 3 girls in a similar way and never a problem yet. We all have our own ways of doing things and this is working for me.

I had the option of sending my bitch interstate to my first choice stud dog to be mated but decided against it as after talking to the stud owner I realised my girl would have been kennelled for the week. As she is king pin here with full run of the house I decided it wouldn't be the best time to make a dramatic change to her lifestyle so I opted for using a dog where like MG they lived together in the house with supervision. After the week away I bought home a bitch that had a straight forward whelping and produce lovely healthy pups.