Jumping Up And Scratching

vickimills57

I know this is a common issue with puppies but I want a strategy that is effective as quickly as possible. My 10 week old Bichon - George - has started jumping up, and in doing so scratching our legs. It is very painful!! He also latches on to clothing that is within reach. I am trying to ignore him, turning my back etc but it hurts! I am also giving a consistent "down" command n a low tone. My Mum is coming to visit soon and as an older person her skin is fragile. I don't want George ripping her legs to shreds. Advice gratefully accepted.

No expert here - but as an emergency measure try:

No feeding from a dish (so that they are hungry and motivated) starting right now

Carry a treat pouch/sandwich baggie with food in it around with you

Using tiny amounts of food (eg, one small dog biscuit) any time you notice them looking you in the eye, respond with a treat and the words "GOOD dog"

Any time you notice them doing a behaviour that you wish to encourage - if they sit, or have all four feet on the ground + and are looking at you - respond with a treat and the words "GOOD dog"

Make sure you try this routine LOTS before your fragile visitor arrives

Also - have you read the pinned topics at the top of the Puppy Thread page? They are sooooo helpful!

And you might find the K9 Pro articles on training positive behaviour very helpful in the long term:

http://www.k9pro.com.au/pages/Behavioural.html

I am trying to ignore him, turning my back etc but it hurts!

Ignoring is a good start. However this does not work alone as you pup does not know what you want. So the next step is to teach you dog what you want.

What I want from my dogs is for them to sit for attention. So if you dog does not know sit yet, you may need to gently push you puppy bottom down into a sit. Ensure you have treats on hand to reward your puppy when he is sitting.

I am also giving a consistent "down" command n a low tone.

This is probably not working as he does not know what this means.

Remember, word commands only work when you have trained you dog what you want from that word. If they don't know this you are wasting your breath and also confusing your puppy.

Be consistent and you will get there :D

Remember, word commands only work when you have trained you dog what you want from that word. If they don't know this you are wasting your breath and also confusing your puppy.

:thumbsup:

problem is with puppies..and we all have done it ... when a tiny puppy pats at your leg , or stands up ..we pick it up! fatal error !

Yes, they do it to their Mum ..and other adults , to reach the mouth /muzzle ..but it is bad manners to do it to humans .

You may want to also think about starting immediate Nothing In Life Is Free ... , which incorporates what dog geek mentioned... LINK

not on the training part, but also make sure you clip his nails short and smooth and it will be nowhere near as painful, and will help you have a clear head in which to modify his behaviour with :)

You can get special nail files - curved ones - to file any sharp edges off the nails. No more hurties. :)

When I got my Cav at 9 weeks she jumped constantly It wasn't until she was 12 weeks that she started to calm down & not jump so much She's 14 weeks now & occasionally jumps (especially at dinner time!) & yes it hurts but I don't acknowledge her until all 4 paws are on the ground :)

When I got my Cav at 9 weeks she jumped constantly It wasn't until she was 12 weeks that she started to calm down & not jump so much She's 14 weeks now & occasionally jumps (especially at dinner time!) & yes it hurts but I don't acknowledge her until all 4 paws are on the ground :)

I agree and have noticed this with my little girl too. There quite often isnt an immediate fix (ie not a one day fix) but consistency and time does get results. Shanti would jump and charge our back flyscreens for attention or to be let in. We totally ignored this behaviour every time. After 6 weeks or so she has stopped doing this and I cant remmeber the last time she did. She now just sits at the glass doors looking in and waiting. We were trying to teach her not to come in the kitchen and every time got her to sit on the mats at the entry to the kitchen. Patience, persisitnce and "rewards" has now made her very good at staying out of the kitchen. This is teh same with a lot of things we are training. It appears at the time they are not really learning and then 'bag' the penny drops and their behaviour has changed. I am constantly surprised at this. So in my experienc ethe chnage isnt absolutely immediate but it will happen with persistence.

The hardest thing we are trying to train now is recall on command. She is a bit stubborn and quite often will only come when she wants. Takes after her human Dad I think (ie me!) Maybe I should lead by example.

Do the family members pick pup up alot to cuddle ??

Not a lot no.

The pup may simply presume by jumping up previous actions have resulted in a cuddle .

Pup may be saying pick me up so you need to look at all family members as to whether pup gets picked up when jumping up & to the pup this is a normal action .

Puppy claws, ouch! Definitely know where you're coming from, I have a 9.5 week old and her claws huuurt! Filing is good and the ongoing training as suggested above, it will get better. At this age they don't quite get what we people are saying but they understand consistency, ignoring and rewards for what we want!

As a short term solution so as not to hurt your mum put puppy on a short leash and physically control him (gently), with lots of praise when four paws are on the ground and eyes are on you :)

shags you should definitely lead by example and do as you're told! But seriously, Leslie Nelson's Really Reliable Recall DVD is great and the earlier you introduce it the better! Search the forums for recall advice too but the moat important principles are that coming to you is ALWAYS a good thing, no matter how frustrated you are, hide it and give your pup praise when they come, and when they are running towards you anyway, as they do, open your arms, give an enthusiastic call and lots of rewards when they get to you - this will help condition them to automatically come when you call without thinking about it.