Ears, Ears And More Ears!

My dogs occasionally get a pigs/ sheep/ venison/ veggie ear. Not for teeth cleaning etc but as an occasional treat/ entertainment.

I' ve been having trouble getting product analysis eg. fat/ protein/ salt etc content for them.

As far as I know pigs ears ( and other pig products) are quite high in fat and veggie ears are fairly low in protein.

Which one/s do you use/consider best?

I don't know any analysis breakdowns on any of them but I've tried pig, sheep and venision ears for my guy. I found the sheeps ears had a lot more of a smell to them then the pig/venision and seem to give him smelly farts for a day or so after eating it :o. Lately I've been feeding more Venision then pigs because they seem to last him longer then a pigs ear which is about 2minutes :laugh:. I've been meaning to try the Veggie ears and see how we go on them but everytime I go to buy them I seem to pick something else up instead :o.

Probably depends on brand etc but if you look on Veggie Pet's website it gives the following composition for their veggie ears. I love the hedgehogs and crocs as well.

Composition

Raw Protein 1.5 %

Raw Fat/Oil 3.2 %

Fibre 8.3 %

Raw Ash 0.6 %

Moisture 7.0 %

Ingredients:

Wheat starch, glycerine, vegetable fibres, lecithin, natural colourings and flavourings.

Google also lists a few, we started feeding them because the normal ones always seemed to give our dogs the runs.

Probably depends on brand etc but if you look on Veggie Pet's website it gives the following composition for their veggie ears. I love the hedgehogs and crocs as well.

Composition

Raw Protein 1.5 %

Raw Fat/Oil 3.2 %

Fibre 8.3 %

Raw Ash 0.6 %

Moisture 7.0 %

Ingredients:

Wheat starch, glycerine, vegetable fibres, lecithin, natural colourings and flavourings.

Google also lists a few, we started feeding them because the normal ones always seemed to give our dogs the runs.

Anything with those ingredients would be an extremely occasional treat here, if at all. All that sugar and starch would worry me. :scared: I also hate it when the composition (which in this case does seem to include water content) only adds up to less than 10% of the total product; but then I never could work out the "rules" for packaging/content information etc. :confused:

Thank Dog for the one ironclad rule of ingredients always in order from largest quantity to smallest quantity so I can at least have some trustworthy guideline.

I do get a quite uptight that a lot of products labelled as "rawhide" are nothing of the sort but are manufactured of grain by-products etc. I hate the term "rawhide" being misused this way, it seems very misleading to me. :mad Plus the damn stuff is a choking hazard with my lot.

Ooops, sorry off my soapbox.

Mine and passers-though will occasionally get genuine smoked hide ears as treats but very often raw bones (with or without meat attached). Marrow bones I have to scrape most of the marrow out first though, it is too rich for most of my lot (great for making stock though!) I have tried smoked roo vertebrae now and again but prefer fresh roo tailbones when I can get them.

Thanks for the analysis Coogie! Very helpful. I'm such a dummy sometimes I didn' t think to google them!

Ruralpug- My guys get mostly bones too, but occasionally I do like to mix it up. Veggie ears happen VERY irregularly (maybe even less are seeing that analysis) but other ear types I'd have assumed to be less fatty/sugary etc....sigh.

products can be SO musleading

I agree about products being misleading,I always read the packaging regardless of what we are giving them and am sometimes very surprised by the stuff in them. They don't have these very often, and after a choking incident with a bone (luckily they never have anything like that without constant supervision) they now have bones even less often. They have a very balanced diet so I am comfortable with the treats they do get,depends on the dog I guess but most "treats" give them upset stomachs so aren't really a treat for them or us cleaning up afterwards!

Gosh.....my 6 month old pups get a pigs ear most days in their crate of a morning.

But all my Std Poodles have bones everyday either :-

chicken carcass

chicken necks

chicken wings

turkey necks or

bones from the butchers.

Just depends on what I have here :D

Seems I am always buying bones :laugh: