Cairn Terrier

Erny

As per the title, what is the correct grooming technique and tools? Asking for a close friend whom I am with ATM hence this message coming via my iPhone. Apologies for any spelling errors - not as easy from the phone :o. Ta muchly in advance :).

As per the title, what is the correct grooming technique and tools? Asking for a close friend whom I am with ATM hence this message coming via my iPhone. Apologies for any spelling errors - not as easy from the phone :o. Ta muchly in advance :).

Missymoo may help you on this, should be hand stripped.

Thanks for your response :)- if missymoo doesnt pop in the meantime ill send her a messaage but in the interim - pardon me for not knowing better (short haired dogs are my thing) , you should hand strip the undercoat only I presume ?

You'd probably find that most show people would roll the coat, so you are basically plucking out the longer hairs all the time. When you are on the move sometime I could show you the basic process on my Aussies, just ring me at the shop (ie BH supplier) and I can arrange a day to make sure dogs are with me.

That would be great, Austerra :) .... thank you :thanks:. It's not so much for show - my friend doesn't do that. But a question - what would happen to a Cairn Terrier's coat if it WASN'T stripped? Is stripping just so the dog looks good or is there a health and/or comfort benefit to it?

I'm not suggesting the dog shouldn't be brushed as such, just wondering if stripping the undercoat is an absolute necessity.

ETA: Oh - and thanks for your help today, regarding me getting the Black Hawk food supply. My boy has just enjoyed a couple of cups worth :).

Edited by Erny

The coat is stripped to keep the texture and promote the new hair growth. If grooming for pet most people just end up having them clipped, hand stripping can be expensive to get done at a groomers, so if this is what is wanted it is worth learning how to do it. We usually charge $50 - 55 for a cairn clip, stripping is charged by the hour (usually works out about $100 or so including bath).

Hi erny!!

I have a few pet cairns come to me for grooming. You don't ave to hand strip but it will grow long wild and feral, the top coat keeps growing. Does she use a metal comb or pin brush to brush out the unrcoat? That's what can cause the mats and tangles being a a two coated breed.

You can clip them too, although old time breeders would gasp in horror at this. It does soften the coat of course and you need to be more vigilant for hot spots etc. I have a couple that are clipped and a few that are hand stripped come to me, depends on the dog and the owner..some pets will not tolerate being hand stripped at all and will bite, spin, jump and make it very very hard and a lengthy process. (I remember one I had to take off the table and hold in my lap to do! Lol)

I generally try to teach my clients how to give it a go and what tools to use if they want. It is also up to the if they want the coat rollled or taken right back to undercoat after it has blown, usually 4-6 monthly. A blown coat will be loose and stick out if stroked backrds.

Austerra is fabulous and her groomers are great, I've been there to hang out with her :D

It's not the unrcoat that is stripped...I've only ever taken out undercoat on my show dogs or whelprd bitches to promote 100% awesome coat. It's only the top coat. When taken back to the undercoat, I say they re in their pyjamas!! It's all soft and fluffy and cuddly.

Edit for stupid iPad and auto correct..

Edited by Missymoo

You'd probably find that most show people would roll the coat, so you are basically plucking out the longer hairs all the time. When you are on the move sometime I could show you the basic process on my Aussies, just ring me at the shop (ie BH supplier) and I can arrange a day to make sure dogs are with me.

Can someone tell me what 'Rolling' means. I brush the dogs, then comb them (with a metal comb) but Penny's coat becomes matted very quickly and I left it for 9 days before brushing and combing last time and had to cut out the mattie-bits with the scissors...yes I know I should have done it sooner :scold: she is getting all that fine, fine wispy hair tangled, didn't used to do this but seems more frequent lately.

Thank you Missymoo (and :wave: ) and AusTerra, I really appreciate you taking the time to come in to explain. My friend's Cairn is a well raised dog and is also pretty well-handled and can stand to be hand-stripped. In fact she doesn't seem to pay any attention to it so that's not likely to be a problem.

I will pass this info on to my friend (who cooked dinner for me last night .... yummm! :eat::thanks:).

Edited by Erny

Hi Boronia rolling means that you go over the coat a couple of time a week and pull out all the loose dead hard hair, in this

way the coat will grow new hard hair and stay flat and clean. Has you girl been clipped if so then most of the hard hair will

have gone and you are left with the softer undercoat. With our regular brushing and combing it will tangle.

Wish we could get together so we could meet each others dogs :thumbsup: and I could give you some grooming tips.

Can someone tell me what 'Rolling' means. I brush the dogs, then comb them (with a metal comb) but Penny's coat becomes matted very quickly and I left it for 9 days before brushing and combing last time and had to cut out the mattie-bits with the scissors...yes I know I should have done it sooner :scold: she is getting all that fine, fine wispy hair tangled, didn't used to do this but seems more frequent lately.

If it has a good Cairn coat then it is easier to put the extra 30 mins in to do the work.

It really isn't that hard if shown the basics.

Much easier to maintain than a clipped coat ,if there is a good groomer near by getting them to go over the coat once /twice a year will also be helpful providing your friends do the work as well.

your dogs look clipped from the signature pic. I would therefore suggest using a good conditioner whenever you bath them and you can use a spray in grooming spray misted over the coat before brushing.

Thanks Showdog. My friend's Cairn seems to me to have a good coat. I don't have much a clue myself about hand-stripping, although my friend showed me what she was doing and she seemed to know how to do it. Was more the wondering about whether it was the undercoat or top coat that should be stripped and why it needed to be.

I've passed on the message from AusTerr that she'd be welcome to pop in to see her at AusTerr's Pet 'n' the Dog store out this way in Beaconsfield. It's a small world, AusTerr - that my friend passes by your shop and was the one to pick up some of my dog's Black Hawk food supply on my behalf :D. So your offer to explain and show when she comes to you the next time for supplies is not only helpful but convenient :thanks:.

Thanks Showdog. My friend's Cairn seems to me to have a good coat. I don't have much a clue myself about hand-stripping, although my friend showed me what she was doing and she seemed to know how to do it. Was more the wondering about whether it was the undercoat or top coat that should be stripped and why it needed to be.

I've passed on the message from AusTerr that she'd be welcome to pop in to see her at AusTerr's Pet 'n' the Dog store out this way in Beaconsfield. It's a small world, AusTerr - that my friend passes by your shop and was the one to pick up some of my dog's Black Hawk food supply on my behalf :D. So your offer to explain and show when she comes to you the next time for supplies is not only helpful but convenient :thanks:.

My pleasure, any time I can help just get in touch. Funny that your friend was already one of my customers, like you said it is a small world.

Edited by Austerra