Hygroma(s) In A 14 Week Old Puppy?

bianca.a

My 14 week old GSD pup has hygromas on both elbows. The right is significantly worse than the left. I took him to the vets yesterday as I was worried it was a further reaction to his vaccines.

The vet said that they should go away by themselves and that they were most likely caused by trauma. He is a rough and tumble little pup but I find it hard to imagine how hard he must have bumped himself to cause this.

Pics.

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

Left (not as bad)

DSC_0014.JPG

Any advice or tips would be greatly received thank you :)

They are ugly but ususally do not cause too much of an issue.

They can be caused by boney elbows dropping down on hard floors when lying down.

I have seen some opened drained, drains inserted and bandaged - wouldn't do it!! they quite often return anyway.

Soft bedding and no flopping on hard surfaces and time. A Borzoi had them on here Oberon, I think his has gone???? not sure?? Amybe his mum will see this and let you know.

Goodluck

Thank you for your reply :)

We do have tile throughout and due to the heat he seems to prefer lying on the floor than his numerous beds. I'm not really sure how I can prevent him from doing that. He also has a bed in his crate.

Just a bit concerned that this has happend at such an early age :(

I started him on Traumeel last night, not sure that will do anything as it is fluid on the elbows.

Thanks again :)

My wolfhound had these on both elbows, think they started about 5/6 months.

I also got advised to leave them alone and they will go eventually (which they did ).

Vet said they can insert a drain but didnt advise it, just creates a site for infection to enter. He used to flop down on the tiles all the time...very hard to get them to lie on a soft bed when its so hot.

Rileys were the size of a small grapefruit!

Thank you for your replies :)

He sleeps in his crate at night and that has a big soft bed in there. Ufortunately the little rat can still JUST squeeze under the couch and that is his favourite napping place during the day! :laugh: And I can't drag him out!

I had thought about ice but it is fluid filled so didn't think that would make a difference?

If you PM pixie meg she should be able to tell you about Oberon's. He ended up wearing a support sling thingy... I can't remember the technical name!

Imagine a neoprene wrap that goes over the top of their shoulders and around their elbows like a human knee brace. It provides a pressure wrap as well as some cushioning while it heals.

Thank you all.

I took him back to the vet again today as over the weekend it got huge. Both dogs were there to have blood taken so the vet tried to fine needle aspirate it. Of course Cooper wasn't having any of that so only a small amount came out. I am taking him in on Wednesday morning to be sedated and it drained. I so hope that is the end but from everything I have read, it probably will come back :(

GSD fan - how is Troy now? Any news yet?

Becks- thank you, I will ask about the steroid injection on wed.

Alyosha - thank you so much, I will do that!

Warning icky pic below (from after the vet today)

DSC_0135.JPG

Thank you all.

I took him back to the vet again today as over the weekend it got huge. Both dogs were there to have blood taken so the vet tried to fine needle aspirate it. Of course Cooper wasn't having any of that so only a small amount came out. I am taking him in on Wednesday morning to be sedated and it drained. I so hope that is the end but from everything I have read, it probably will come back :(

GSD fan - how is Troy now? Any news yet?

Becks- thank you, I will ask about the steroid injection on wed.

Alyosha - thank you so much, I will do that!

Warning icky pic below (from after the vet today)

DSC_0135.JPG

The poor little fella :(

Sorry to hear he has to get it drained Bianca, i hope everything goes well on wednesday. Will be thinking of you two. Have you contacted Cooper's breeder, maybe they might be able to offer some advice or know if this has happened with any other pups before?

Yes - i updated my thread, fingers crossed for his next check up, thank you.

have PM'd you but thought this info might be useful for others:

Don't waste your money with draining is my opinion. It will likely just refill. it just needs support and a comfy bed.

My Oberon also had a reaction at 12 weeks to a tax but had the hygroma at 10 weeks. We got it drained at 14 weeks and bandaged. the bandage was a pain as it would get loose and then i'd go to a different vet who was not good at bandages. i became and bandaging expert after that. the hygroma then went away especially as we tried to get him to rest on soft surfaces. we had hard floors and he rarely chose the couch.

About 1 yr later he developed the hygroma again in the same leg. A different vet drained it but it came back within the week. I then bought a product called dogleggs. it is padding on both elbows, (often custom made) and then a strap over the back to hold them in place. this product alone had the hygroma gone in less than a month. well worth the money. i think it was around $150, but thats a lot cheaper than the vet visit. heres a link to the product. http://www.dogleggs.com/adjustable/

they are available in Australia, just can't remember where from.