Abandoned House, Cats And Kittens Inside

I have just had a real estate agent call me asking for help. A tenant has abandoned a house, leaving 2 cats and sevral young kittens inside. 1 kitten is already deceased. The agent told me the RSPCA won't help. The agent can't enter unless they have permission from the tenant. I have said that I have less rights than them, me enering would be break and enter.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I think you might need to find a broken window. Even if it is accidentally broken.

Also can't you mistake the cat calls for cries for help and open up to check that someone isn't hurt inside?

You need to get serious legal advice for this. Will the local police not help? I thought the RSPCA had the right to enter property.

I have just rung the agent to let them know of your suggestions. They have gotten in contact with the tenant, who has said they have been going there daily to give them food and water. The deceased kitten was apparently the runt of the litter. The RSPCA is going to the house tomorrow to pick up all the animals. I hope no more die in the meantime and that they are not put down when they get to the RSPCA.

Thanks for your responses.

The agent said they can't, for legal reasons. I don't know much about the law, but I know I can't go into someones' house.

I just think it odd that he can open a locked door for you though????

Good to hear they'll be collected tomorrow though. Let's hope they'll be ok until then.

The agent said they can't, for legal reasons. I don't know much about the law, but I know I can't go into someones' house.

I just think it odd that he can open a locked door for you though????

Good to hear they'll be collected tomorrow though. Let's hope they'll be ok until then.

I think she thought I had special powers :D

That is very odd... The rules may differ from state to state but here the agent is able to enter the property in the case of an emergency and also if the Property Manager has reason to believe the property has been abandoned (after a day has elasped). I would think that this situation would be covered by both of those clauses.

I hope that it's not too hot there and they have access to water.

Poor kitties :(

Police. But only if the agent or owner can't get in. They should be the first point of call. I would tell the agent that they are now aware of the animal's suffering, and failing act upon it may constitute a cruelty offence. Maybe the agent can attend with the police? And open the property at their request prior to entry being forced?

Edited by Alyosha

Police. But only if the agent or owner can't get in. They should be the first point of call. I would tell the agent that they are now aware of the animal's suffering, and failing act upon it may constitute a cruelty offence. Maybe the agent can attend with the police? And open the property at their request prior to entry being forced?

I agree.

I hope the animals are all ok. Just because the former owners have said they are feeding/watering the animals (over the phone) does not mean they are doing so. Especially concerning is that they have left the property.

IME the animals will be taken by the police (or local rangers if called by police) to take them to your local shelter where at least they will be cared for short term and if not reunited with the owners, have a chance of finding a new home fingers crossed.

Contacting the police might be a good idea.

I'd be calling the rangers first. They have some powers of entry.

Rangers have no powers of entry or powers of anything when it comes to the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act in NSW. The only organisations that can enforce this act is the RSPCA, AWL and the NSW Police.

I'm glad they're getting the poor kitties out.