Dog Hats/sun Visors

donski

I did a search but couldn't find anything, so apologies if this is a repeat topic.

My bull terrier has just been diagnosed with solar Blepharconjunctivitis. Basically sun damage in his unpigmented eye (the other one has a brown patch). He's only 3 and this bout can be fixed with medication but the opthamologist said to either keep him out of the sun or else get him a hat. If not he will definitely have cancerous eye tumours by the time he's 10. Scary stuff to hear.

Now how the hell do you keep a dog out of the sun? He's a totally indoor dog anyway, but we do have our hourly walk a day. So... it's a hat then.

Does anyone have any they can reommend? It's got to be about fit mostly so that he'll wear it.

Guest donatella

I would recommend Fluppies- http://www.fluppies.com.au/. I have a white dog and find this an ongoing battle, they sell UV sun suits, eye protection doggles and hats, as well as a nose visa. The lady was excellent, everything is made to your dog's measurements. Cannot recommend her highly enough.

Here is a pic of Oscar in his Sun Suit:

IMG_4243.jpg

Too cute!!!

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-27.499584,153.034290

You might want to consider these for eye protection as well or instead of. My dog prefers these mesh dongles to the glasses style. Well when I say "prefers", everything is relative! :laugh:

http://www.australianpetshop.com.au/shop/products/1105.php

They are like the fly masks" we use for the horses. Poor things. I had a cat who got skin cancer on his white pigment bottom eyelid. They tried freezing it with liquid Nitrogen but it became very ugly and painful and it wasn't in an area where they could sucessfully cut it away, eventually I had him PTS, he was 12 years old. :(

I hope these clever prodcuts will help make life easier for these white animals. :)

Edited by LizT

I did a search but couldn't find anything, so apologies if this is a repeat topic.

My bull terrier has just been diagnosed with solar Blepharconjunctivitis. Basically sun damage in his unpigmented eye (the other one has a brown patch). He's only 3 and this bout can be fixed with medication but the opthamologist said to either keep him out of the sun or else get him a hat. If not he will definitely have cancerous eye tumours by the time he's 10. Scary stuff to hear.

Now how the hell do you keep a dog out of the sun? He's a totally indoor dog anyway, but we do have our hourly walk a day. So... it's a hat then.

Does anyone have any they can reommend? It's got to be about fit mostly so that he'll wear it.

My dog is a white SBT and he has a patch on one eye as well. He also has the same condition on the other eye. I actually had it biopsied just before Christmas to see if it was a skin cancer, but so far, it has not turned that way. I just keep my boy inside during the day, and let him out in the yard for an hour or so after the sun has gone down. I do walk him, but try to stick to the shady side of the streets in the mornings, or otherwise I wait until about 7pm at night to walk him. Good luck, I hope you find something that your dog will tolerate to protect his eye. :)

I'm very glad for you it wasn't cancerous - yet, I guess. How old is he? And how hard is it to keep them out of the sun!

I've ordered a hat from fluppies, so we'll how/if he takes to that. I'll bear the sunnies and the mesh goggles in mind then if the hat is a no go.

I'm very glad for you it wasn't cancerous - yet, I guess. How old is he? And how hard is it to keep them out of the sun!

I've ordered a hat from fluppies, so we'll how/if he takes to that. I'll bear the sunnies and the mesh goggles in mind then if the hat is a no go.

My boy is heading for about 10yo we think. Not too sure as he is a rescue dog. Hopefully it will not turn to cancer before his natural time is up. I hope your dog will stay okay too Donski. It is a worry and very hard, especially with white dogs. They are drawn to laying in the sun. Even when inside, he seems to seek out a sunny spot near a window. I read just today, that cats can still get skin cancer from sun coming through the window, so I guess dogs are the same.

Hope all goes well for your dog, and please let us know how the hat goes. I hope he likes it. :)

Hope things go well with the hat, please let us know how things go.

Donski , I hope your boy will be ok. . .this thread has me a little worried because we have a white bully with a patch on one eye too. He also loves to sun bake indoors . Did his eyes have a lot of eye discharge? More than the regular morning sleep goop? Does he get a burnt nose??