Scissoring Help!

PuddleDuck

Yes the breed would be helpful ,Alot depends on what your scissoring what result your after,the coat condition when trimming & above all how often you do it & yes the scissors being used (thinners,length )

Generally to leave a mark means the wrong scissors for the wrong job or using them the wrong way to get the job achieved

Pants will look butchered with straight scissors,generally all you would do with the pants is brush.strip out ,if wanting to take some bulk out then you would use thinners but better to leave thepants natural.

Feet scissor around the edges,thinners for hair between the pads or the easiest is get a slick & easy stone & strip the feet hair ,you can also use this on the legs to remove the dead coat & get the nice colour there ..

As for the Malt if you scissoring the top coat with straight in can look well cut depending on the texture ,most groomers will use the clip on combs which leavea lovely look ,if the coat is very thick & able to be shaped then you can scissor after a brush & bath out but if very fine & sparse scissoring won't leave the best look.

As there surgical scissors the length will be fine for feet but to short for extended trimming so you end up with many more cutting marks through the coat

http://www.greggrantsaddlery.com.au/ProductDisplay.aspx?category=SX600307822

The picture is what i am referring to.

You can use them all over in even strokes,do not rub like crazy in one spot or you will take all the coat out.Use evenly all over

Use on the legs front/back to remove dead coat,on the feet,face,head.

Scissors you can buy from clipper world ,1 sided thinners is all you need & something like Wahl around $70/80

Have you tried using a clipper blade. On pants a number 5 is good.

You just lightly skim on the surface of the coat as though you are lightly trimming a hedge

You can also do this with some dog coats. A number 7 blade works the best but until you practise stick with the 5. Don't angle the blade or you get a cut into the coat. Keep it flat. Hard to describe it by writing it but it can give a nice look quickly if you can do it.

Thanks staff I'll have a look at that!

Christina i'd love clippers but they are a bit out of my price range for now. With my toller, I just don't have the time to brush out her pants daily ATM. I have lightly scissored them so far and they do look better and fluffier now! Ordered some thinning scissors too-can't wait till they come!

The Strang/Macmillan breed book has a full chapter on grooming. :) And it's a great price, I paid twice that when I bought it!

Whoops just realized I have that book! I was holding it today too :laugh: didn't even think to look in there. I'm a sleep deprived idjit! :laugh:

I thought you might. ;)

I find also (and rightly so) Toller feet need a good wash for the scissoring to look good. When I 'dirty' clip :eek: they never look that great. Sometimes it's just out of necessity though. :p

One of my toller girls looks like a Yetti, so I have just come back from buying one of those slick and easy block things from the horse shop - $2.50, so I bought 2 of them rofl1.gif

I will let you know how I get on and if she looks any better. Maybe I need before and after photos.

Bear has all those stupid fine fluffy bits around her legs. Someone told me they are cos she is desexed? They annoy me but the furminator won't get them out. Would be very interested in hearing how you go with the block Ptolomy!!

Yeah I am always fiddling with fuzzy feet. They never look any good but I figure they are too far away for people to notice!

Any insider tricks for thinning out her tail a bit? She HATES people grooming/touching/looking or walking in the general direction of her tail but it's just a mess...and I've just been ignoring it hoping the grooming fairies come one night :laugh: it's absolutely not matted or anything, just fuzzy

The block was interesting - any loose hair attached itself to the block and then you could just pick it off. None of the dogs seemed to mind the block either - which was good. The downside was that I had psyched myself up to it being a cure for all those foofy bits and we aren't talking just a few foofy bits here - but a truckload, and it isn't.

So today I sat down with the stripping knife and started stripping. Its going to take several goes but I think it is the only way.

and yes Puddleduck - her lines are particularly bad for foofy bits once steralised, backlegs, front legs and chest.

Next time I'm getting a xolo. No foofy bits ;) :rofl: kidding!!!

Do you know of any good videos online that show how to use a stripping knife? I've never tried one but suspect it will wind up going that way

Poor bear has no idea what she is in for. Michaela is already eyeing off her tail!

Bear has all those stupid fine fluffy bits around her legs. Someone told me they are cos she is desexed? They annoy me but the furminator won't get them out. Would be very interested in hearing how you go with the block Ptolomy!!

Yeah I am always fiddling with fuzzy feet. They never look any good but I figure they are too far away for people to notice!

Any insider tricks for thinning out her tail a bit? She HATES people grooming/touching/looking or walking in the general direction of her tail but it's just a mess...and I've just been ignoring it hoping the grooming fairies come one night :laugh: it's absolutely not matted or anything, just fuzzy

The problem is the more your thin with scissors the bigger the issue you end up with as the coat grows back at different lengths.

A good undercoat rake & a brush through will do just fine & take only a few minutes each day .

We use clipper blade shells for stripping dead coats & they work wonders .

The stone also works better on a wet coat so i generally do my guys in the bath that also applies to the stripping knifes,furminator etc etc