Legal Obligations Re. Found Dogs?

Pheebs

If my dogs were found wandering, I'd much rather someone took them to a vet to check for a microchip so that they could contact me to let me know they were ok. No way would I want my guys impounded.

What if the chip had migrated an could not be found? Would you rather the individual hold on to the dogs or the dogs go to the pound?

Obviously I'd rather they go to the pound. However I know for certain the each of my three are easily identified by their chips.

Chip migration is not as common as it used to be many years ago either so it is not such a common risk factor any more.

There seems to be an increase in the amount of do gooders who hang on to lost animals and not go through the correct channels, or maybe they have always been around and they are more noticeable.

Local classified sites on FB seem to be full of them. Some do not keep the animals themselves they pass them on to whoever wants them :mad

Chips do fail and they do migrate, sometimes scanners even have an off day so a quick once over scan may not pick up chips.

I have 2 dogs with migrated chips one near an elbow the other on the sternum and we see them frequently at work.

Yes, we used to have migrated chips all the time, in the armpit, in the front legs etc, best way to avoid this is by having your dog scanned regularly at your vet to ensure the chip is in the right place.

Keep in mind too that scanners are also not foolproof and neither are the people scanning the dog, it only takes oine lazy scan (not covering every area) to miss a chip.

The comment about putting your name down on a dog when you take it to the pound is a good one, people need to know they have this option as it will stop them from being so scared that something will happen to the dog.