Legal Obligations Re. Found Dogs?

Pheebs

Am on a train at the moment so shall keep this brief... I am on a few Facebook groups for lost/found pets in VIC (predominantly staffies)....

It astounds me the number of people who hang onto other peoples dogs (with the best of intentions) claiming every effort is being made to find the owners. I've made my thoughts known on the matter and have been met with rather hostile responses. I would be furious if someone were hanging onto one of my guys in the event they went missing - how the hell am I supposed to find them in your backyard?!

For the record the group is "Stolen/Missing and Found Staffords Victoria" if anyone's interested..

i think people have the best intentions and they feel bad surrendering them to say the pound or shelter.

There of course are people who claim to be doing to best to find the owners and not doing anything at all in hope of keeping the dog.

Not sure what the legal side is but i do know dogs are seen as property

Used to see this all the time when I worked at a shelter. It's stealing, legally you are supposed to hand the dog in to the closest pound but people think the owners will have a better chance of finding their dog if it's in someones backyard.....frustratingly silly.

Each state has their own laws in relation to this issue.

In NSW they required to take the dog to the closest pound to where the animal was found or to a vet who has to hd the dog for the pound to collect.

I believe in Tas it is still legal to keep thR animal while you attempt to locate the owner.

Normally I'm very passionate about this and people immediately taking the dog to the pound, however when it comes to any bull breed in VIC I can kind of understand why people would hold onto them and try and find the owners themselves :( I probably would too as handing them in may have them labelled as a restricted breed and killed.

It's a huge problem. There's someone locally (Western Sydney) whose dogs were "found " at a local market and "given" to a customer by the management, as if it's their call to make. Poor mum is still looking for her 2 babies, I would say they've been abducted, they were lost but it's now deteriorated, someone has them and thinks it's their right to keep them. How can the message get across that, just because a dog is wandering, doesn't mean it's by design or by lack of love or care. Sometimes it is just bad circumstances, a gate gets blown open, they find a window to shimmy through etc, someone leaves the gate ajar. Heaven forbid we are ever in the same situation.

It's a huge problem. There's someone locally (Western Sydney) whose dogs were "found " at a local market and "given" to a customer by the management, as if it's their call to make. Poor mum is still looking for her 2 babies, I would say they've been abducted, they were lost but it's now deteriorated, someone has them and thinks it's their right to keep them. How can the message get across that, just because a dog is wandering, doesn't mean it's by design or by lack of love or care. Sometimes it is just bad circumstances, a gate gets blown open, they find a window to shimmy through etc, someone leaves the gate ajar. Heaven forbid we are ever in the same situation.

What in hell? What a messed up situation!

Normally I'm very passionate about this and people immediately taking the dog to the pound, however when it comes to any bull breed in VIC I can kind of understand why people would hold onto them and try and find the owners themselves :( I probably would too as handing them in may have them labelled as a restricted breed and killed.

And this is the difficult position these laws put people in. :mad

What in hell? What a messed up situation!

Have a look in lost and found- the post is called "Help find Happy and Teddy"- I drive past these dogs photos every day outisde of the markets.

I know the law has changed dramatically over the years but once upon a time if you found "anything" and put an ad in a Newspaper that was considered sufficient by law. Also years ago a pound was a death sentence to most lost dogs and surrendering one to a pound was something many animals lovers could not bring themselves to do. However in this day and age and now with mandatory microchipping one would expect better outcomes with lost pets. Except of course in the cases where people do not update their changes of addresses which can be disasterous for the poor lost animals.

Someone can always hand the dog to the pound and then pu their name against it so that they can pull it out before it gets PTS. There is no excuse for this behaviour - even ignorance of the law.

I would be absolutely ropeable if someone found my dogs and didn't hand them in to the local pound - that is the first place I would look.

i had it happen took three years to he escaped the yard he was being kept in and a vet nurse picked him up and scanned him. its infuriating. there was a post on a perth page where they said found pup wouldn't say age, sex, colour, breed and wouldn't take it to vet or pound :S

If my dogs were found wandering, I'd much rather someone took them to a vet to check for a microchip so that they could contact me to let me know they were ok. No way would I want my guys impounded.

Edited by ~Anne~

If my dogs were found wandering, I'd much rather someone took them to a vet to check for a microchip so that they could contact me to let me know they were ok. No way would I want my guys impounded.

Yes, that would be the best case scenario, but what if the scan didn't read? They are not foolproof either. They have been known to shift and go wrong at times. Maybe chips should be checked more routinely. If they fail the dog goes to the pound post vet anyway. :(

I had a phone call at 1am and a friend had found a Siberian Husky, running in traffic!

It was a public holiday (christmas holidays time) and no vets were open, I had him at our place, best we could do was go to the shops, drive around the area my friend found him and advertise on lost dogs of Adelaide page, 4:30pm that afternoon his owner DID call though when she came she said we could have him, which makes me wonder how much she actually cared for the dog? He was skinny, matted and his coat was disgusting, he's put on 7kg since being in our care and is a different dog.. but anyway

I do wonder how any people think we 'stole' him all because the owner gave him to us?

He was desexed, vacc and chipped since being in our care, currently treating a grass seed (which he has had since he was found) vet cannot find it!

I saw a stunning Foxhound trotting down the footpath of a pretty busy road. I caught it and took it to the vet (Foxhounds are not a common thing) who had no record of the dog but they rang the next clinic along (there is a couple along this stretch of road) who had a Foxhound on file.

I took the dog home, having left my details with the vet clinic who were trying to contact the owners. I also rang the only Foxhound breeder I knew to see if they'd sold a dog to the area.

I left dropping it off to the local pound as the last resort. The owners came home, got the message where the dog was and swung by to pick it up. Dog was a serial offender, so the owners were grateful to not have to rock up at the pound to claim it. Especially as it had no tags or microchip.

I'd do it again. But then the local pound is forever having parvo and other nasties.

What annoyed me when my dogs have gotten out is people who didn't contain my dog when it came on by. One said after I enquired if they had seen my dog which they had, he'd been hanging out there for 15 minutes. Why didn't they tie him up? "We aren't allowed dogs here". I spent the next hour trying to work out where this dog had wandered off to praying he'd not got hit by a car. :(

The owners came home, got the message where the dog was and swung by to pick it up. Dog was a serial offender, so the owners were grateful to not have to rock up at the pound to claim it. Especially as it had no tags or microchip.

Why on earth would you not tag/chip a dog that's a known escapee, especially a rare breed?

The owners came home, got the message where the dog was and swung by to pick it up. Dog was a serial offender, so the owners were grateful to not have to rock up at the pound to claim it. Especially as it had no tags or microchip.

Why on earth would you not tag/chip a dog that's a known escapee, especially a rare breed?

That is a question i ask, a lot.