Pearl

kelscats

Thanks guys, I got this update first thing this morning so i thought id share.

Hi Kelly,

Pearl was very excited when she arrived last night. She would not sit still when I was awake but I went to bed early. So it was just too hard to get a photo. I woke up to find her quite settled on the lounge room floor rug. So took a few photos. She is sitting next to the TV on the cushions gently snoring while I type.

Duke tried to make friends but his energy and speed is so much lower than Pearls so he went back to bed fairly quickly. He is sleeping on his bed next to Alison so I do not have a photo of them together yet.

Regards,

Henry

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh the pictures say it all! What a transformation and a journey for Pearl.

Worlds away from where you found her Carlo11. Well done Carlo11 and Kelscats and all involved in giving Pearl a happy future.

Don't be shy with updates, I love seeing how she's going. :)

I've read bits of this thread for some weeks - and this afternoon I've finally had time to sit down and read every last post in both threads.

Well what can you say. Carlo and kelscats you both did an absolutely incredible job. Carlo, you are amazing - you persevered to save Pearl and then you were wise enough to listen to the years of experience and wise advice on DOL. And then there's the amazing job that those other DOLers did in supporting you when the going got tough. Persephone, Bulldoglover and others need to take a bow as well. Having been where Carlo was as a newbie years ago I know just how incredibly important that support was to me - and I'm sure it has been to Carlo.

These two threads for Pearl are the most magnificent examples of everything that is good about DOL and its community. Troy I think its time for a 'DOL Thread Hall of Fame' or something similar - some way to preserve those threads which are far above the ordinary that we can refer to when we need a shot in the arm and a reminder of why we all do this stuff. They are not for adding to but for keeping and re-reading and referring others to when we need to. They are also marvellous and real demonstrations to the wider world of the value of local rescue, fostering and rehoming. And I think Pearls two threads should be the first to be preserved somehow (and I'm sure there are others we could think of that are as worthy and extra special). Not sure how you (Troy) work out 'Hall of Fame Threads', probably just your decision, but these threads are far too special to eventually be lost in the myriad of threads that make up DOL. Anyway just my thoughts.

Pearls skin reminds me of Eddie - a westie who when we got him had the worst skin and coat I'd ever seen and a pus-filled fur-less infected rear end. And although it took time (well over 12 months from memory), Eddies skin completely healed and he now has the most magnificent coat! All it took was a rescue from abuse, three months of fostering in two foster homes (like Pearl, I too had a cat problem with him!), and a vigilant search for the right new family who cared and persevered with him. I'm sure the same will happen for Pearl. Good luck beautiful girl and congratulations to her new family - heres to many happy years together. :)

Edited by westiemum

Thankyou WestieMum.Support is everything and on DOL you have it in spades . . .all breeds and from all over Australia.I was given great advice which I gladly followed and as a direct result of this, I now foster for a great rescue group who again have provided me with advice, support and friendship.I have since rehomed 4 dogs into fantastic homes and want to continue this work for time to come.I have a special interest in Pharaoh Hounds and want to learn more about this magnificent breed and eventually move into breed rescue.

I would have persisted with Pearl however long it took to get her out of there and would do the same again.Pearl was the catalyst for me to jump into rescue and I wont ever forget her.

Before I came to DOL for advice on Pearl, I was warned by seasoned 'dog people' that DOL was a nasty place and one in which a newbie would be eaten alive.Well,I only came across good kind hearted people who helped and advised to no end.I am not interested in the games people play.

I came here for Pearl and I will come back again for help again and again.I have learnt so much and there is more to learn.Pearl is why I do what I do . . . . .. Thankyou to all who helped me and advised me along the way and please keep answering the calls of help from other 'newbies'.The dogs need all the help they can get :)