Chasing Flies

skully

So my 8 month stafford loves chasing flies - which is great. Keeps her occupied and running around for ages in the yard. If one gets in the house though, she'll chase after it forever! Even if she can't find it anymore, she'll end up running around the house looking for it!!

I had my sister (and her new baby) over last night and normally pebbles will calm down after 10 mins or so when someone new arrives, but chasing flies just keeps her running around the place!

any suggestions?

post-41861-0-60133000-1329430234_thumb.jpg

Mortein.. seriously.

Sometimes these kinds of behaviours can become an obsession.

I'd suggest you do your level best to stop the trigger for this behaviour. Kill flies as soon as you can and provide another outlet for her energy - a quick game or 5 minutes of training. Any distraction to break the habit would be good.

1329436779[/url]' post='5725340']

Mortein.. seriously.

Sometimes these kinds of behaviours can become an obsession.

I'd suggest you do your level best to stop the trigger for this behaviour. Kill flies as soon as you can and provide another outlet for her energy - a quick game or 5 minutes of training. Any distraction to break the habit would be good.

thumbsup1.gif This

On general principle I'd be discouraging anything that triggers such a strong response that wasn't under my control. I think you might have trouble down the track if you are trying to train and have to compete for attention with all the flies!

Add to that the danger of having a dog thoughtlessly crashing through the house... *wince* - especially if you have a flatscreen tv or unsecured bookshelves.

On general principle I'd be discouraging anything that triggers such a strong response that wasn't under my control. I think you might have trouble down the track if you are trying to train and have to compete for attention with all the flies!

Add to that the danger of having a dog thoughtlessly crashing through the house... *wince* - especially if you have a flatscreen tv or unsecured bookshelves.

Not to mention transferring this behaviour onto bees or wasps. :eek:

Not to mention transferring this behaviour onto bees or wasps. :eek:

:scared: ugh I hadn't even thought of that :(

i was doing some training with her this morning (sit, drop, roll over, shake hands, stay etc) and a fly got in and distracted her. I tried to get her attention back and it worked the first time, but then she was off and not interested in returning.

We're renting and dont have a screen door on the back door, which in summer is a PAIN - breeze and flies or hot and no flies... bit of a pain.

I take her for a short walk in the morning before work, sometimes with a bit of fetch in the park. My partner and i take her for a good walk and run around for at least an hour most evenings. Depending on her mood she likes to play fetch and chase the ball. In general though, anything that runs away from her she loves to chase.

So if i distract her from doing it in the house, I obviously can't stop her from doing it in the yard when i'm not around... will this be confusing?

I was going to say fly trap!! You would be surprised by the number it traps in a short time. My dog does "herd" flies, it can sometimes lead to a stereotypic pattern of behaviour e.g. a circuit around the backyard. I can normally predict when it will happen, so I intervene beforehand or if I miss it I interrupt and give her something else to do, like chew a bone.