Dog Kills Newborn In Alberta Community

tybrax

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/dog-kills-newborn-in-alberta-community

Dog kills newborn in Alberta Community.

Officials in Airdrie are revealing few details about the fatal mauling of an infant by a family dog in the southern Alberta city.

Emergency crews were called to a house in the city's Kingsland area at about 10 a.m. local time on Wednesday after a husky attacked the baby.

The baby was rushed to Alberta Children’s Hospital in Calgary, but died at about 10:30 p.m.

The husky is in quarantine while officials consider its future in consultation with the family.

There had been no previous issues with the dog. Police are not considering laying any charges.

"Unfortunately, it is just a very tragic accident," Hamori said.

No names or further details about the incident are being released out of consideration for the family, RCMP said.

So sad to hear.

Unfortunately too it is with neonates that Huskies are known to be a potential problem.

Once children are older it doesn't seem to be as much as of an issue with them, but young babies with Huskies do seem to be a risk factor.

Sadly this is not the first time this sort of thing has happened.

So sad to hear.

Unfortunately too it is with neonates that Huskies are known to be a potential problem.

Once children are older it doesn't seem to be as much as of an issue with them, but young babies with Huskies do seem to be a risk factor.

Sadly this is not the first time this sort of thing has happened.

Many years ago (35 years) a similar thing happened close to where I lived and the dog was a JRT I was very surprised at the time because the dog was small, I assumed that anything like this would have to be a large breed.

You have to wonder how the dog was able to get so close to a newborn in the first place without a parent VERY close by.

So dangerous to trust any dog with such a young baby.

All you have to do is be distracted and have the dog manage to access the baby. There is a documented history of this breed removing babies from their cribs. There has be one such incident here in Australia in recent years. As Espinay says, this is only with neonates and seems to involve the dog not recognising such a tiny baby as 'human' in the first important weeks of the child being home. It's prey drive in action sadly. :(

The press has been good about protecting privacy in this case. The CBC was able to speak to the categories, if not the individual circumstances

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2012/02/16/calgary-airdrie-dog-baby-killed.html

The Siberian husky that mauled a newborn boy to death in the southern Alberta city of Airdrie was part of the family's dog sled business, CBC News has learned, and had never caused problems before.

The family also participates in dog races both in Alberta and B.C. [british Colombia].

If you do your searches on Canada's dog bite fatalities, you'll find that this is not the first sad interaction between sled dogs and infants.

Considering it's future? I'd be surprised if they want to keep the dog now....how sad.

Hell yeah what is there to consider? Their dog killed their baby.

I wouldn't want that dog anywhere near me, if it was mine.

RIP little baby :(

If they are pro dog racers, it seems likely they will blame themselves . . . which I'd say is the correct assignment of blame . . . rather than the dog.

The dog should not have been near the baby. Sled dogs are tough critters and not always gentle.

You have to wonder how the dog was able to get so close to a newborn in the first place without a parent VERY close by.

So dangerous to trust any dog with such a young baby.

All you have to do is be distracted and have the dog manage to access the baby. There is a documented history of this breed removing babies from their cribs. There has be one such incident here in Australia in recent years. As Espinay says, this is only with neonates and seems to involve the dog not recognising such a tiny baby as 'human' in the first important weeks of the child being home. It's prey drive in action sadly. :(

I remember the WA one I don't know whether it's prey drive so much as the innate curiosity with this breed, from memory the baby was pulled from a bassinet and it was unclear whether it actually attacked the baby to cause fatal injuries or the impact of the baby dropping to the floor that killed her. The thing that makes me wonder is the amount of times I've seen my fellow stand up to carefully get something from a high bench and because he usually grabs just the edge of it with his mouth to pull it off the bench and once it drops to the floor he investigates further.

Granted it's a fairly moot point as a curious husky is just as dangerous to a tiny baby for this reason as a vicious one but it always makes me wonder because things often get reported as 'maulings' which may or may not be accurate, and I think it's an important distinction because it can affect the perception of the breed.