Fraser Coast Chronicle

Kaffy Magee

http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/story/2012/02/16/loose-dog-mauls-lad/

BLAYDE Humphreys will no longer feel safe playing on the street after a neighbourhood dog tore into his right leg.

The River Heads boy will be on crutches for six weeks after the savage attack by a german shepherd.

Blayde, 11, spoke to the Chronicle from his bed at Hervey Bay Hospital yesterday, and said he no longer wants to ride his bike or walk his neighbour's dog, a job he regularly does to earn pocket money.

He was walking the little dog on Tuesday afternoon when, he says, he was confronted by a group of three kids armed with sticks who began threatening him.

The trio, who are known to the boy, were with an unleashed german shepherd.

Blayde recalls the dog lunging and latching onto his heel for about 20 seconds. Its teeth ripped tendons and left a bleeding, gaping wound in need of stitches.

His mum, Wendi Humphreys, wants to know what is being done about the dog that has left her son so injured and traumatised.

She is calling for the animal to be impounded.

"His leg's not good. It's a pretty big open wound," she said.

"I was in shock. I didn't expect it to be as bad as it is.

"I've already made a complaint (to council) about the dog.

"It's always out roaming and the owners do nothing. I can't even get out to mow the lawn."

Ms Humphreys admits her family has had issues with the dog's owners since they moved to River Heads Rd.

"There were half-a-dozen people in the street screaming for someone to take this dog away. The kids went home and got a lead, but the parents didn't even come out," she said.

Another neighbour, who didn't want her name published, described Blayde's wound as "ghastly".

She said the german shepherd had a reputation for roaming freely and chasing residents.

"This dog has attacked various other dogs after roaming into people's yards. I can't let my kids out on the street."

Council says it is investigating the incident.

regardless of the breed i will never understand why anyone would leave their dog roaming.

its a guarantee of it getting not only into trouble but run over.. u name it.

frankly the law is there. keep your dog in or dont have one.

as for off leash parks... I will never been seen at one.. its a tragedy waiting to happen always will be.

it is the nature of dogs. some will attack another and yes, kill as so many have learned to their heartbreak.

so sad every time i hear and see such preventable tragedies.

if you dont know the dog you are taking a risk and the loser is both you and your dog.

Edited by asal

• 2 weeks later...

I thought only kids over 16 were allowed to be responsible for dogs in public. Considering the dog was unleashed and the kids (I am assuming) would have been underage, I hope the owners get charged.

And yet again it's idiot owners letting the poor dog down. Hope the little boy recovers and doesn't have a fear of dogs from this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk